new jointer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-31-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Creator of Sawdust

View Ed'sGarage's Photo Album My Photos
new jointer

Well, I finally finished setting up my new G0490 Grizz Jointer. It hasn't been smooth, though. When it came in and I had it assembled, I found the motor was bad (it had a bad shutter when it powered down). We even discussed it on the forum at that time and though maybe it wasn't tensioned properly. Turned out to be the motor. Anyway Griz was pleasant and accomodating and sent me a new motor. I noticed the cover of the small electrical box on the new motor was quite dented, so before installing it, I decided to swap the cover from the original motor for the dented cover (BTW, the shipping box on the second motor was not damaged on the outside). When I removed the cover on the motor replacement, I found the capacitor inside demolished! Aargh!f Ok, another call to Griz. Again they were pleasant and accomodating. We discussed the options and given the size and weight of the motor, I offered to just sawp the capacitors. They shipped me a new capacitor. OK, after removing the original motor, opening up the electrical box, opening the new motor, replacing the capacitor and remounting and recovering all the electrical boxes, my jointer now runs as it should. Some comments here:
1. I think this problem could have happened to any make of equipment - so I don't think it's a problem with Grizzly, per se.
2. Grizzly was more than accomodating in shipping and replacing needed parts.
3. They should hire me to service their equipment in the North East - just kidding.
4. The beds on this are super easy to adjust.
5. The jointer is far easier than I had thought to move around with the built in base.
6. I may have bought more jointer than I had room for. Where I have put it for now is an experiment until I joint a few boards to see if it's comfortable there. With a 76" Bed, it's a bit bigger than I pictured in my mind. After settling on a location I'll run the duct work from my dust collection to it.

A couple of pics here detailing the assembly process.

I have other Grizz stuff like a cabinet saw, drill press and other assorted things and I think they handled this correctly. Despite taking nearly a month to get it up and running, I think I got a pretty nice jointer sitting there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4338.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	13240  

Name:	DSCN4339.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	13241  

Name:	DSCN4340.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	13242  

Name:	DSCN4348.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	13244  

Last edited by Ed'sGarage; 01-31-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-31-2010, 02:07 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Totally!

Looks great and you have just reaffirmed the service from Grizzly being "top notch" and accommodating. I have some Griz stuff myself and am pleased with the quality and performance. Nice to know they will stand behind their products as well. Have fun with the new tool and "be sure to read and fully understand the directions in the operator's manual" ...... OK. Norm Check out this thread for some push blocks: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f9/si...84/#post116563

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 4 Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
Let the fun begin! If I make another big tool purchase, that will probably be my next, to upgrade to bigger jointer. You're gonna enjoy that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 AM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
Nice looking machine, wish i could afford something like that. Maybe i could figure out a way to put extentions on my 6" Delta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode