New Here, Hi Everyone. Question for everyone, opinions appreciated - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 04-12-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

View Lyric's Photo Album My Photos
New Here, Hi Everyone. Question for everyone, opinions appreciated

Hi everyone, just recently got started in wood working and building as a side hobby and possibly more. It all got started with fiancé asking me to build a pallet table for her lol and I've enjoyed it ever since. So recently I purchased a new table saw. The table saw is not a beast or a cast iron top as most would recommend but it's a nice aluminum top. It's a Kobalt KT1015 same as the Delta 6000 Series 36-6020. I believe it's made by Delta as everything is identical and it's made in Taiwan like Delta.

Anyways it has a normal aluminum top, nice and solid construction all around table saw. Anyways most aluminum tops have a coated aluminum top. Should I have purchased a coated aluminum top or not? I'm still within return time frame if so. Not sure here, please help.

And btw I would have bought a nice used cast iron or heavy duty table saw but on Craigslist and everywhere locally people ask brand new prices on tools and equipment. Used crappy broken rusted saws that cost $200 new have asking used prices of $200 lol so yeah imagine nice ones lol.

So anyways what's with the coated top and should I get a coated top instead of the bare aluminum? Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-12-2016, 08:25 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Bosch 4000 worksite saw

It has a "coated" aluminum top. I'm not certain what the coating is, maybe a Teflon or other type applied with a baking process. For the most part it's durable, but there is a worn spot. I can't recall how that happened, but "not factory repairable". It does not affect the accuracy of the saw, it's just unsightly. It does aid in sliding material on the top.
Bare aluminum would be a terrible choice and need lots of TLC.
Obviously cast iron is the material of choice, but that adds weight and for your budget would only give you older Craftsman 113.*** or 152.*** models. There's nothing wrong with those old saws and I owned one for 45 years and I finally "retired" it.for parts. The fences are the weakest links in the chain and you must have a fence that's "self-squaring" and keeps a parallel condition with the miter slot on whatever saw you chose!

If the fence on your saw is satisfactory, then I would stick with that saw. JMO.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 18 Old 04-13-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
It has a "coated" aluminum top. I'm not certain what the coating is, maybe a Teflon or other type applied with a baking process. For the most part it's durable, but there is a worn spot. I can't recall how that happened, but "not factory repairable". It does not affect the accuracy of the saw, it's just unsightly. It does aid in sliding material on the top.
Bare aluminum would be a terrible choice and need lots of TLC.
Obviously cast iron is the material of choice, but that adds weight and for your budget would only give you older Craftsman 113.*** or 152.*** models. There's nothing wrong with those old saws and I owned one for 45 years and I finally "retired" it.for parts. The fences are the weakest links in the chain and you must have a fence that's "self-squaring" and keeps a parallel condition with the miter slot on whatever saw you chose!

If the fence on your saw is satisfactory, then I would stick with that saw. JMO.
Yeah I was just wondering if I should have or should go with a coated top instead.

I have the Kobalt KT1015, which appears to be the same as the Delta but rebranded. Pretty sure it's made by Delta.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_486267-52010...0-ad70fc520ff0

I was considering getting the Ridgid table saw but not sure if it's worth the extra cash

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-15...4513/100090444

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-13-2016, 01:11 PM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyric View Post

I was considering getting the Ridgid table saw but not sure if it's worth the extra cash

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-15...4513/100090444

Thanks
At $400 for the saw you list, another $129 (I know, it sounds easy...) and you have a great contractor's saw. Just my humble opinion...

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
post #5 of 18 Old 04-13-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
At $400 for the saw you list, another $129 (I know, it sounds easy...) and you have a great contractor's saw. Just my humble opinion...
Sorry I'm a bit confused by your wording. Sorry and forgive me. But do you mean what I have now is just as decent enough or the Ridgid is better and should be purchased for $129 more and take the Kobalt back? Confused sorry.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-13-2016, 02:18 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
......I have the Kobalt KT1015, which appears to be the same as the Delta but rebranded. Pretty sure it's made by Delta.......
Be careful in thinking 'rebranded' It might not be the same exact.
When one factory takes on a product line and another company wants to make the same exact thing, well it doesnt quite work that way. Each company sets it's own specs. Company B might want something exactly like company A or maybe a little lesser product like shave a few tousandths of an inch here or there. Maybe use cheaper bearings and motor and the list goes on. But when it comes out the door, it looks exactly alike .
Way back when, I think in the 60's, I first became aware of this. Word always leaks out when for the better. Sears Kenmore was being made by Westing House of bendix, I cant remember which. Word conveniently leaked out that Bendix or whomever was making Kenmores. So everyone believed that kenmore was exactly the same as Bendix which had a great reputation. They were wrong for the above reasons. Didnt mean that kenmore was a bad product, which it was not, but you werent getting a "Bendix"
Tools , boats , cars and just about everything comes out of China these days. China makes from the crappiest to the better lines. All depends on the specs for a given brand and a REALLY GOOD team of company inspectors.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx
post #7 of 18 Old 04-13-2016, 02:42 PM
The village amadán.

Quote:
Sorry I'm a bit confused by your wording. Sorry and forgive me. But do you mean what I have now is just as decent enough or the Ridgid is better and should be purchased for $129 more and take the Kobalt back? Confused sorry.
Sorry, right now you have the Kobalt KT1015, saw but were also looking at the Rigid 15 amp direct drive job site saw at a price of $400 but were unsure of whether or not it was worth the extra money.

What I was referring to was to add to the $400 of the job site saw another $129 and you can have a far better (more stable and accurate) saw in the contractor's saw.

I hope that helps clear things a bit. :smile3:

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
post #8 of 18 Old 04-13-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Be careful in thinking 'rebranded' It might not be the same exact.
When one factory takes on a product line and another company wants to make the same exact thing, well it doesnt quite work that way. Each company sets it's own specs. Company B might want something exactly like company A or maybe a little lesser product like shave a few tousandths of an inch here or there. Maybe use cheaper bearings and motor and the list goes on. But when it comes out the door, it looks exactly alike .
Way back when, I think in the 60's, I first became aware of this. Word always leaks out when for the better. Sears Kenmore was being made by Westing House of bendix, I cant remember which. Word conveniently leaked out that Bendix or whomever was making Kenmores. So everyone believed that kenmore was exactly the same as Bendix which had a great reputation. They were wrong for the above reasons. Didnt mean that kenmore was a bad product, which it was not, but you werent getting a "Bendix"
Tools , boats , cars and just about everything comes out of China these days. China makes from the crappiest to the better lines. All depends on the specs for a given brand and a REALLY GOOD team of company inspectors.
See your located at Tellico Lake near Knoxville. I live right on the outside of Knoxville myself in between Maryville and Knoxville :smile3:
post #9 of 18 Old 04-13-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry, right now you have the Kobalt KT1015, saw but were also looking at the Rigid 15 amp direct drive job site saw at a price of $400 but were unsure of whether or not it was worth the extra money.

What I was referring to was to add to the $400 of the job site saw another $129 and you can have a far better (more stable and accurate) saw in the contractor's saw.

Got ya or I think I do lol thanks
post #10 of 18 Old 04-13-2016, 03:42 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
generally, the table saw is the hub of your shop. This is where you have to buy as much saw as you can afford. If it's too light it has its own hazards, not enough power and most importantly, a GOOD fence that you can rely on. That means about $1000 new or $500 used. And that is not anywhere near top of the line but will get you through many, many years of great projects. If $550 is all that's in your budget, then spend the whole wad on your table saw. If you cant make a good cut, your not going to enjoy. I'm sure the Rigid Contractors saw for around that amount will get you through many years.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx
post #11 of 18 Old 04-17-2016, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Mr Mac I went and took the Kobalt back and picked up the Ridgid R4513 for $399 and I gotta say I'm not digging it at all really. It's ok and I'm sure would be great for those like on the job site and mobile needs but it's just not for me. I don't feel it's seriously worth the $399. I can say you were right lol. I'm taking it back for sure.

So I'm seriously looking at the R4512 professional cast iron for $129 that you mentioned. It's been on my mind since you mentioned it and I almost pulled the trigger but $129 in my pocket sounded sweet lol. Plus the sales guy kept talking me into the R4513 instead of the R4512 saying it was to heavy for me and I'd regret it and other BS. I explained it would be stationary since I have a shop I'm putting together he just shrugged and said whatever lol. Idiot I must say. He keep trying to talk me into a Ryobi lol. Yep a Ryobi for a wood shop. Yep lol.

Anyways I was also looking at the Delta 36-725. A lot of similarities to the Ridgid but of course differences. Any thoughts which of these two might be best? Leaning towards the Ridgid for lifetime warranty and it's a little cheaper lol.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_510897-52010...d=50081568#img

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13...4512/202500206

Btw I did attempt and try and use a Harbor Frieght coupon at like 6 Home Depots in my area and everyone of them said no lol. It was embarrassing lol.

Btw if anyone wants to chime in then please do so :)

Thanks

Last edited by Lyric; 04-17-2016 at 11:50 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-18-2016, 01:36 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Another 2 cents, I prefer a belt drive motor over a direct drive motor on the table saw.
On most belt drives, the motor hangs at the back.
Aluminum or steel tops both need a high quality fence. The fence is very important.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #13 of 18 Old 04-18-2016, 01:57 PM

View Oakwerks's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Totally agree.... That extra $129 gets you a lot more saw.. One that will serve you well for many years... You won't be sorry in the long run...
post #14 of 18 Old 04-18-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Another 2 cents, I prefer a belt drive motor over a direct drive motor on the table saw.
On most belt drives, the motor hangs at the back.
Aluminum or steel tops both need a high quality fence. The fence is very important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakwerks View Post
Totally agree.... That extra $129 gets you a lot more saw.. One that will serve you well for many years... You won't be sorry in the long run...

Yeah I believe both of these are belt driven and cast iron tops. Just not sure if the Delta is worth the extra $$$. I've read great things about the Delta and just a handful of bad. Most people say its possible that Delta will go under any day and it was be a bad day if you ever need parts or accessories. Compared to the Ridgid with more sales, parts and lifetime warranty.

What you guys think?
post #15 of 18 Old 04-18-2016, 05:47 PM
The village amadán.

Between these two I would select the Rigid for a couple of reasons. First, and, mind you, this is just me, the stand on the Delta makes me nervous! I'm sure it's stable, but it just doesn't look like it!

Second, and more important, the warranty on the Rigid includes a Lifetime Service Agreement (just be sure they have everything they need and then make them prove it to you) and that pushes the Rigid over the top for me.

post #16 of 18 Old 04-18-2016, 09:01 PM

View tewitt1949's Photo Album My Photos
Just my 2 cents. I've always been willing to pay extra for a life time warranty. But at 67 years old, more than once I've payed extra for a life time warranty, and within 5 years they are out of business and I'm screwed. I'm pretty sure Rigid will be around, but there are many parts they won't make for life. Not sure what my point is here but I'm leary of life time stuff anymore.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-18-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Between these two I would select the Rigid for a couple of reasons. First, and, mind you, this is just me, the stand on the Delta makes me nervous! I'm sure it's stable, but it just doesn't look like it!

Second, and more important, the warranty on the Rigid includes a Lifetime Service Agreement (just be sure they have everything they need and then make them prove it to you) and that pushes the Rigid over the top for me.
Lifetime Warranty does speak strongly to me. I have a Ridgid cordless drill and cordless impact and was able to register easily with no issues. Some people have stated issues with registering the lifetime warranty but I never had this issue.
post #18 of 18 Old 04-18-2016, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewitt1949 View Post
Just my 2 cents. I've always been willing to pay extra for a life time warranty. But at 67 years old, more than once I've payed extra for a life time warranty, and within 5 years they are out of business and I'm screwed. I'm pretty sure Rigid will be around, but there are many parts they won't make for life. Not sure what my point is here but I'm leary of life time stuff anymore.
Yeah I've heard stories like this with brands that get purchased by another company and then that lifetime warranty is gone. I guess it's lifetime for as long as the company is around or owned by the same company. I think I read back when Ridgid was purchased a couple years ago or more that those prior to the new ownership lost their lifetime warranty. This is something I question for sure.

Overall I've read less concerning issues about the Delta vs the Ridgid. The Delta seems to have more positive reviews. Maybe newer Ridgid R4512's are better and some of the kinks have been worked out. I feel in a little ways the Delta would be better in the beginning and long run. Some people have questioned the parts availability and I'm wondering the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode