New drill press - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 04-08-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
New drill press

Well, new is a relative term. Also, i kinda lied last week when i said i made my last tool acquisition for a while. My bad. Anyway, im sure i mentioned i upgraded my table saw. Repeatedly. Anyway, i found myself with one more table saw than i really needed. I considered buying a third and making my very own UltraSaw, but i dont need that either. So i decided to spread the love and throw it up on craigslist, and 6 hours later a gentleman emailed me and offered a trade for this:

Say it with me now: Hell to the yes!

Its a Delta model DP220, mid 1950's if my research is right. Not completely original parts wise, but i dont really care about that. Its not a collectors item for me, its a tool to beat the crap out of. The spindle appears to be from a different press, i think, maybe, and the motor is decidedly not original. I aint even made though, because the motor is a 1.5 horsepower unit off, funnily enough, an old craftsman table saw. Overkill for a hole? Sure, but overkill is underrated. It also appears to have been painted green at some point in its life.

Anyway, as it stands now ive got the entire thing disassembled and cleaned up. At first i was thinking i had a lot of de-rusting to do, but all the areas i though were rust were actually what appeared to be 60 years of axle grease. Bit of a pain in the rear to clean off, but it did come off. Everything is in surprisingly good condition, with a few exceptions. The spindle bearings are in rather rough shape, which i was expecting. What i wasnt expecting was that delta used a bearing style that only one company produced, a company which hasnt existed for a while. Ive tracked down a few places that still have a few and am waiting to hear back on pricing, but ive heard that a 6202-10 bearing will also work, if not ideal. The other is the paint need some work. Planning right now is come friday im going to pick up some paint stripper and some rusty metal primer and get everything stripped and sealed.

This leads me to my question; Does anybody know of a close color match to what Delta used in the 50's-60's? Im thinking i want to keep this one original as possible, but only so far as i can find the color at my local home depot/lowes/walmart in a spray can.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-08-2015, 09:47 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Rustoleum dark machine grey in their industrial rattle can line (silver can) is a virtual match as far as I've been able to find.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 21 Old 04-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Sawdust Creator

Here's the color on a jointer I restored. New drill press-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1428544213.725032.jpg

The Following User Says Thank You to ryan50hrl For This Useful Post:
Allman27 (04-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-08-2015, 11:05 PM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
I'm painting my 1940's unisaw now and I'm using that dark machine gray paint. It's a nice color. Here's a picture of the can. I can post a picture tomorrow of how it looks on the machine. I used rust-oleum filler primer on the cabinet. I was pleased with it. It filled in any small scratches or dings and left a nice smooth surface to top coat. Even on cast parts, it helped smooth them out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1995500201.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	148089  

post #5 of 21 Old 04-08-2015, 11:07 PM
Sawdust Creator

New drill press

That's the can and color I used on the jointer above.

post #6 of 21 Old 04-08-2015, 11:45 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Ace dark machine grey was about the same too.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-09-2015, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
Rustoleum dark machine grey in their industrial rattle can line (silver can) is a virtual match as far as I've been able to find.
Dude, you're awesome. That's just about the perfect color. I wouldn't have looked for Greg, for some reason the older delta machines always seem a little blueish, but seeing that on a tool pretty well nails it

I need cheaper hobby
post #8 of 21 Old 04-09-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Few things in the world are quite as annoying as having a project stagnate due to lack of funds. As it stands now, ive got everything pulled apart and cleaned, gpwith all the mechanisms working as they should. Can't start painting though, because at the moment I have a whole $28 to my name. Thank cthulu tomorrows payday. Figure over the weekend I'll be able to get it stripped and painted, only to have to wait even longer for the bearings I still need to order to come in. Wish I could buy the bearings local, but the only place I found that stocked even the modern replacement wants 17.99 a bearing. No way am I paying that much when I can order them for 5

I need cheaper hobby
post #9 of 21 Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like a good score and a good resto project.

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
post #10 of 21 Old 04-10-2015, 12:39 AM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48
Few things in the world are quite as annoying as having a project stagnate due to lack of funds. As it stands now, ive got everything pulled apart and cleaned, gpwith all the mechanisms working as they should. Can't start painting though, because at the moment I have a whole $28 to my name. Thank cthulu tomorrows payday. Figure over the weekend I'll be able to get it stripped and painted, only to have to wait even longer for the bearings I still need to order to come in. Wish I could buy the bearings local, but the only place I found that stocked even the modern replacement wants 17.99 a bearing. No way am I paying that much when I can order them for 5
I had the exact opposite experience with my table saw bearings.

I ordered 2 arbor bearings from the saw center.com for my unisaw. They were 45$ each and I needed 2. I wasn't unhappy with it because I figured they were the only option.
After talking to a friend, he said go to a bearing shop down the road and I found the same bearings for $14 each. So I'm going to send the bearing back tomorrow and save some money.
post #11 of 21 Old 04-10-2015, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe16 View Post
I had the exact opposite experience with my table saw bearings.

I ordered 2 arbor bearings from the saw center.com for my unisaw. They were 45$ each and I needed 2. I wasn't unhappy with it because I figured they were the only option.
After talking to a friend, he said go to a bearing shop down the road and I found the same bearings for $14 each. So I'm going to send the bearing back tomorrow and save some money.
Honestly, i know it sounds petty for me to complain about the bearings being $20 a piece but i could support the local economy, but dude, a 2302-10 bearing is not worth $20 bucks. Part of me wants more smaller, locally owned stores, particularly in these more specialty areas. Bearing shop down the road? Yes please. Electronic supply company? Bring it on. Giant lumber yard? Hell yes! But still, if you want to jack the price up a few hundred percent to justify having a store, no thanks, im going to eBay. That said, waiting for a delivery to get a new toy set up sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Looks like a good score and a good resto project.
Hey, you should swing by and help sometime mate. Also, if you ever need to drill a really, really big hole, i got you covered

I need cheaper hobby
post #12 of 21 Old 04-10-2015, 11:09 PM
Pain in the A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48
Hey, you should swing by and help sometime mate. Also, if you ever need to drill a really, really big hole, i got you covered
I'll have to do that, but I'm leaving Sun for 4 days for work. I'm still trying to finish setting mine as well. Been trying do some dust collection today. I have an electrician coming next Friday to do some work. Not much but it should allow me to finish my miter station.

Mark

Mark

post #13 of 21 Old 05-06-2015, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Another quick status update that ive been forgetting to post for... A month. Crap

Didnt realize it'd been that long since I last said anything... Anyway, I got the painting done. I got the painting done nearly a month ago, I just forgot to mention because my life got a little de-railed, but that's a story for another thread. Back to the drill press! As it stands, ive got it painted and reassembled, but then I hit a minor road block in terms of the motor. The motor that I got with it was an older 1.5hp model, which is great, except for the fact that its a 2 pole 3600rpm model, less great. Running that motor would result in spindle speeds way, way too fast for the larger forestner and twist bits I'd be using anyway, so that ones a no-go. Ive been toying around the idea of wiring up an old treadmill motor, but I don't have one of those on hand and I'm pretty flat broke at the moment.

As it stands, ive got a 1/2 HP 4 pole motor with a fairly small pulley hanging around from a craigslist purchase (bunch of air compressor parts for $50, I bought it just for the 25 gal tank so I could mount my 1.5hp compressor to it (that build was a *****)) that I plan on mounting up, at least until I can work on another arrangement. That's a lot less power than I really wanted, as well as a limited speed range with the pulleys I had on hand, but I'm hoping its work with the belt I have on hand and I'd like to get this thing working.

Pictures to come in the morning, its 4am here and I'm only on right now because I can't sleep anyway

I need cheaper hobby
post #14 of 21 Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Pain in the A$$

If you get to a point where you need a bigger drill press, let m know. You're welcome to bring your materials by my shop and use my toys.

Mark

post #15 of 21 Old 05-06-2015, 10:40 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Honestly, i know it sounds petty for me to complain about the bearings being $20 a piece but i could support the local economy, but dude, a 2302-10 bearing is not worth $20 bucks. Part of me wants more smaller, locally owned stores, particularly in these more specialty areas. Bearing shop down the road? Yes please. Electronic supply company? Bring it on. Giant lumber yard? Hell yes! But still, if you want to jack the price up a few hundred percent to justify having a store, no thanks, im going to eBay. That said, waiting for a delivery to get a new toy set up sucks
I am in the middle of a project that is not really time sensitive, checked Ebay for bearings but decided to give my local bearing house a try to avoid shipping cost. I need odd ball size so they did not have them in stock but would have them in a week. Three weeks have passed, last call I made to check on status I was basically told, don't call us again, we will call you when they arrive. So much for shopping locally.

ďEverything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.Ē
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #16 of 21 Old 05-07-2015, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Pictures as promised. As mentioned, ive got that 1/2 hp motor on there, but alas, it is not meant to be. That little bugger is a piece of crap, all shakey and whatnot. Time to start saving my pennies for a good dc motor and speed control!

I need cheaper hobby
post #17 of 21 Old 08-11-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Well, it only took me... **** it took me 4 months? Well crap, didnt realize itd been that long...

Anyway, I finally finished a project! Its a miracle! Seriously though, after 4 months of this thing sitting in my shop, its finally ready to use. A quick walkthrough:

First off, a nice shot, showing off the unit as a whole. Again, thank you ryan for suggesting the perfect paint to use.

Secondly, a shot of the motor assembly. Looks a litte janky, but be respectful, a treadmill died to provide those electronics. The motor is a permanent magnet DC motor, whose label lies through its bloody teeth and claims its a 2hp. Only rated to draw 15 amps though, so in reality its closer to a 1.2hp, once you factor for the inefficiency dc motors have. Controller is an Mc-60, donated by the same treadmill the motor came from, as were all the other electronics. And before anybody points out the lack of safety, yes, i realize that all my electronics are screwed to a piece of mdf, Yes, I do know that i have a transformer uncovered at perfect poking height, and i do realize that my strain relief for all the wiring is a few staples. I also realize theres no power switch (the potentiometer turns the motor off). And no, i dont care. Eventually ill build a nice pretty box for all the electronics to sit in, and ill even add an on/off switch. Maybe ill rig up a tachometer too, but right now, it works, so i dont care.

Works pretty bloody well too. Theres some vibration at higher speeds, but i can live with that given that its a 60-some-odd year old piece of machinery with a hodge-podge of parts macgyvered together. With the 3 inch pulley on the motor run through the 4ish inch part of the stepped pulley on the quill, im getting speeds of roughly 400rpm on the low end, up to about 3-4k rpm at the high end. Thats plenty of a speed range for me, and if i need to go up or down, theres still a 2,3 and 5 inch section of the stepped pulley on the quill i can switch to, so theoretically i could get speeds anywhere from 150-10k rpm, assuming my hastily done math is somewhat correct, sort of.

Anyway, im happy. Sure, it could kill you if you lick it, and it shakes a little at 4k rpm, but it runs fine as can be at all the speeds i normally use, and drills pretty nice holes to boot. Oh, and the torque. The torque is fantastic. Overkill, maybe, but fantastic. Now i just need to replace the chuck and im golden.

I need cheaper hobby
post #18 of 21 Old 08-11-2015, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Ya know, looking at the pictures now, it occurs to me that taking the pictures in front of a fluorescent light was a bad idea... Ill get some better ones up tomorrow

I need cheaper hobby
post #19 of 21 Old 08-12-2015, 12:14 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
400 rpm is pretty fast, and it wouldn't have much toque. You wouldn't need to drill anything running 4,000 rpm. I would redesign the pulleys to provide a lower speed.
post #20 of 21 Old 08-12-2015, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwebb99 View Post
400 rpm is pretty fast, and it wouldn't have much toque. You wouldn't need to drill anything running 4,000 rpm. I would redesign the pulleys to provide a lower speed.
You may want to read the part where I mention that im using the middle of the range on the stepped pulley, and can still go a lot slower. It's also a pwm controlled DC motor, so torque is constant over the full range. No need to re-design anything, it may look like garbage but I do actually think through the important parts

I need cheaper hobby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode