New Cordless Tools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
View Poll Results: Which system should I buy?
18 Volt Li-Ion 11 91.67%
20 Volt Max Li-Ion 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 14 Old 07-20-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

View EHCRain's Photo Album My Photos
New Cordless Tools

I have decided that it is time for me to get a set of cordless tools. I really like the dewalt 18v li-Ion line up and have pretty much decided on those, however I just saw that dewalt has introduced the 20V Li-Ion Max line up.

I am no unsure of which to buy and would like some opinions from you guys to sway me. If it helps I am just out of college and will most likely use them for property maintenance on my fathers retired farm, with me being the only person who does repairs so they would be used somewhat hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Poll is missing one major option,haha.

Just like a cell phone........you'll find NO cordless(not counting handtools,duh)tools in our shop.And can make a rather? inteligent arguement on the subject.Just sayin,BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Hungry like a Hippo

View cellophane's Photo Album My Photos
I've been really happy with my 18v Makita set. The folks I do Habitat for Humanity with also use the Makita drivers and their tools get the snot beat out of them weekly. I don't know about the new DeWalts - but the Makita are really light as well. It won't seem like much but a few ounces over the course of a day makes a huge difference. I picked up the Drill / Driver / Sawz-all / Flashlight kit at HD for around $400 about two years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 PM

View thehunter's Photo Album My Photos
the 20 volts are actually 18s. it has to do with the ampage they put out. most 18v bateries arent really 18v. i dont remeber what the details are on it but thats why craftsman has 19.2v batteries, they are actually 18v. i would just stick with the tried and true 18v
post #5 of 14 Old 07-20-2011, 05:59 PM

View Brink's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehunter
the 20 volts are actually 18s. it has to do with the ampage they put out. most 18v bateries arent really 18v. i dont remeber what the details are on it but thats why craftsman has 19.2v batteries, they are actually 18v. i would just stick with the tried and true 18v
Lithium cells have a nominal voltage of 3v.
X 6 = 18v. Their range from discharged to fully charged is 2.5v to 3.2v. So, the 6 cell pack, 18v nominal, would peak at 19.2v fully charged.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-20-2011, 06:10 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Lithium cells have a nominal voltage of 3v.
X 6 = 18v. Their range from discharged to fully charged is 2.5v to 3.2v. So, the 6 cell pack, 18v nominal, would peak at 19.2v fully charged.
So they should really say "20V Maximum Developed Horsepower"...
post #7 of 14 Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 PM

View Brink's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott

So they should really say "20V Maximum Developed Horsepower"...
When the chargers taper off, cells can reach 3.4v before settling in to 3.2. So, my brand would be 20.4v Max attainable potential....blows those 18v away :)
post #8 of 14 Old 07-20-2011, 06:47 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Bought a Dewalt and a Milwaukee compact 18v

within the last 6 mos. I had a slew of Dewalts, probably 3 compact saws, a hammer drill, about 6 driver drills and a barrel full of batteries. They all worked great and had some from 1996 still working on the original Nicad batteries!
So I get the Milwaukee Lion on sale mismarked at HD for about $175 or so and 10% off my entire purchase. Anyway compared to the Dewalt it's like a Swiss watch. Power comes on gradually and stops smoothly. The Dewalt comes on abruptly and stops in full lock up. I'm spoiled and won't get another Dewalt unless I can try it out in the store first. I brought that one back to the store complaining they claimed "they all do that now"...OK, but not for me. I a Milwaukee guy now. I also have their 18v hammer drill from HD on sale. Great power!
I love cordless saws and drills now, and I have to use them on ladders and when I just grab one and run. The batteries dying right in the middle of a cut are a known issue, just bring some spares and keep a few in the charger. I use them regularly in the shop, the corded drills are stored away in a basket for now. No offense here BW! bill
BTW I've been metal working for the last 4 weeks and used them and a drill press routinely. Especially the new Milwaukee!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 14 Old 07-21-2011, 02:51 AM

Location: Otautahi , Te WahiPounamu ( Christchurch , New Zealand)
View Manuka Jock's Photo Album My Photos
Yep Milwaukee 18v . Best cordless drill I've had .
And the warranty , 2 years on the electronics , 5 on the tool , can't get better than that .
post #10 of 14 Old 07-21-2011, 06:50 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
Makita 18V lith ion.
I've had these since they first came out.
I use them every day.
They charge up quick.
They are smooth.

I just don't care for the Dewalt. Too heavy. Too clunky.

I have the 6-1/2" skilsaw, the jigsaw. the sawzall, several hammer drills, 2 impact drivers, flashlight. I have multiple batteries and 3 chargers.

I keep the jigsaw & skisaw in the truck for emergencies. I use corded for regular work.
I never thought I'd use the flashlight but it's great with the swivel head.
I use the cordless sawzall for light tree work and root removal

Learning more about tools everyday
post #11 of 14 Old 07-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Hungry like a Hippo

View cellophane's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
Makita 18V lith ion.
They charge up quick.
They are smooth.
I never thought I'd use the flashlight but it's great with the swivel head. I use the cordless sawzall for light tree work and root removal
+1

The flashlight is awesome. I use it all the time around the house. Between the battery base that will hold it up and the swivel head its a great piece of equipment.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSmith View Post
Poll is missing one major option,haha.

Just like a cell phone........you'll find NO cordless(not counting handtools,duh)tools in our shop.And can make a rather? inteligent arguement on the subject.Just sayin,BW
I'd like to hear it...I mean read it.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 PM

View dynamowhum's Photo Album My Photos
I started out several years ago with dewalt battery tools. I had nothing but disapointments with them. Now they were nicads and nothing beyond 12 volt but I ended up hating them. A few years ago I got into hitachis 18 volt lion and they were a definite upgrade over the dewalts. However I found the clutches a little weak. Then last year I got a Makita kit for Christmas and fell in love. They are powerful and light weight along with being well balanced. I can't believe how quickly they recharge and keep a charge. I have several of them.
I have several contractor friends and most have dewalts or makitas. A few have hilties. One thing I have noticed on the new dewalts is their clutches are very loud.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
If you are not looking at the new DeWalt 12V Li-Ion line, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrich For This Useful Post:
tcleve4911 (08-07-2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode