New battery but still low power. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 2
View OnlyAFew?s's Photo Album My Photos
New battery but still low power.

Hi all. I picked up a set of 6 craftsman 19.2v tools used a couple weeks ago. Drill, circular saw, jig, etc. They all "work" but seem to be at low power. I purchased a new battery, charged it fully and still.. low power. I'm not very savvy with electricity type stuff so i'm coming here for help. Are the tools just worn out and essentially trashed or is there something i'm missing? I find it odd that all of the tools have the same issue. Low power, bogging out with very little resistance. Please tell me I didn't spend $80 on paper weights! :)
OnlyAFew?s is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Wood machinist
 
difalkner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NW Louisiana
Posts: 4,807
View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute go ahead and complete your profile with first name and location. You can add your name to your signature line and it will show in each post.

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe someone else will soon...

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
difalkner is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to difalkner For This Useful Post:
OnlyAFew?s (04-20-2018)
post #3 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 08:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,041
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyAFew?s View Post
Hi all. I picked up a set of 6 craftsman 19.2v tools used a couple weeks ago. Drill, circular saw, jig, etc. They all "work" but seem to be at low power. I purchased a new battery, charged it fully and still.. low power. I'm not very savvy with electricity type stuff so i'm coming here for help. Are the tools just worn out and essentially trashed or is there something i'm missing? I find it odd that all of the tools have the same issue. Low power, bogging out with very little resistance. Please tell me I didn't spend $80 on paper weights! :)
Do you have a volt meter to see if the battery is charging like it is suppose to be? It could be a problem with the batteries and it might also be the charger. Harbor Freight often has a coupon where you can get a volt meter for free with another purchase.
Mycrossover likes this.
Steve Neul is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 2
View OnlyAFew?s's Photo Album My Photos
I don't. But that's a good point. There really isn't a difference in power between the battery that came with the tools and the new battery I purchased. The "fully charged" light comes on when either of the batteries are plugged in. Is the battery the only reason the tools would be low power? I would think but honestly don't know.
OnlyAFew?s is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,041
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyAFew?s View Post
I don't. But that's a good point. There really isn't a difference in power between the battery that came with the tools and the new battery I purchased. The "fully charged" light comes on when either of the batteries are plugged in. Is the battery the only reason the tools would be low power? I would think but honestly don't know.
If you were only using the battery with one tool there might be some other issues but if you are lacking power on different tools I would say the battery was behind it. I have an old cordless drill which may have the old nicad batteries. It can show a full charge on the charger but you couldn't drill more than a couple holes with it. In my case the batteries are worn out.
hawkeye10 likes this.
Steve Neul is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
OnlyAFew?s (04-20-2018)
post #6 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 10:26 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Marietta, Ga. USA
Posts: 1,472
View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If you were only using the battery with one tool there might be some other issues but if you are lacking power on different tools I would say the battery was behind it. I have an old cordless drill which may have the old nicad batteries. It can show a full charge on the charger but you couldn't drill more than a couple holes with it. In my case the batteries are worn out.
That sounds about right for nicads, they develop a charge memory, more of a barrier. If they were not in thier case with the protective charging circuits it would be possible to break that barrier with an over voltage charge applied just right. Ive done that with a brief 12 volt charge on a six volt set of batteries. Not recommended if you can get by without the batteries. That said I dont have much faith in Craftsman tools. I bought a rechargeable Craftsman drill that might have been recharged a half dozen times before it went belly up. I think they are just going through the motions.
Gary Beasley is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 10:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,041
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
That sounds about right for nicads, they develop a charge memory, more of a barrier. If they were not in thier case with the protective charging circuits it would be possible to break that barrier with an over voltage charge applied just right. Ive done that with a brief 12 volt charge on a six volt set of batteries. Not recommended if you can get by without the batteries. That said I dont have much faith in Craftsman tools. I bought a rechargeable Craftsman drill that might have been recharged a half dozen times before it went belly up. I think they are just going through the motions.
I don't think much of Dewalt anymore. When I bought the drill it worked good but the batteries quit after a number of years as expected. What ticked me off is I bought factory replacement batteries and the replacement batteries weren't near the quality of the originals. I'm finding I don't care for lithium ion batteries either. While the nicad batteries would last me working all day I have to charge a lithium battery three or four times. You are suppose to get more charges out of a lithium battery, I guess it's a good thing so maybe I might come out even.
Steve Neul is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 04-21-2018, 06:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 12,468
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyAFew?s View Post
I don't. But that's a good point. There really isn't a difference in power between the battery that came with the tools and the new battery I purchased. The "fully charged" light comes on when either of the batteries are plugged in. Is the battery the only reason the tools would be low power? I would think but honestly don't know.
If it is low power on multiply tools and the battery is the only common element than it is the battery.

It could also be your perception of what the power should be. How are you determining that the power is low?

George
GeorgeC is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 04-21-2018, 06:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 12,468
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
That sounds about right for nicads, they develop a charge memory, more of a barrier. If they were not in thier case with the protective charging circuits it would be possible to break that barrier with an over voltage charge applied just right. Ive done that with a brief 12 volt charge on a six volt set of batteries. Not recommended if you can get by without the batteries. That said I dont have much faith in Craftsman tools. I bought a rechargeable Craftsman drill that might have been recharged a half dozen times before it went belly up. I think they are just going through the motions.
I have a totally opposite view of Craftsman tools. Virtually all of my battery operated tools are Craftsman. I have the old C3 tools as well as the newer 20 volt lithium.

My favorite is the Nexium series. It is 12volt. I have found the drill in that series to be good enough that I seldom use one of the larger drill anymore. I have several different tools in this series.

George
GeorgeC is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 04-21-2018, 07:29 AM
Senior Member
 
hawkeye10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Posts: 1,197
View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Buy a new drill here. They have good customer service. I had a router go bad and they sent me another one and I boxed the old one up and sent it back. No cost to me. I had the new one the next day.

https://www.cpooutlets.com/drills/dr...efault,sc.html

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
hawkeye10 is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 04-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Maylar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Central Connecticut
Posts: 1,151
View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Craftsman 19.2V Lithium Ion drill and it's an awesome tool. The battery stays charged for a really long time and when it needs charging the tool just stops working. An overnight charge and it's back to full power.

I would suspect your charger is not up to the task.

Dave in CT, USA
Maylar is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 05-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 151
View Mycrossover's Photo Album My Photos
When it is not free it is around 6 bucks minus the ever present 20 % off coupon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Do you have a volt meter to see if the battery is charging like it is suppose to be? It could be a problem with the batteries and it might also be the charger. Harbor Freight often has a coupon where you can get a volt meter for free with another purchase.
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mycrossover is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 05-18-2018, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 151
View Mycrossover's Photo Album My Photos
Lithium batteries come in all different capacities, as do NiCds. NiCds from reputable brands are are around 2 to 2.2 Ah. Stuff from places like HF and Sears could be as low as 1.3 to 1.5 Ah. This is based on published specs, not not some measurement on my part. Lithiums from the reputable brands come in a range of capacities from 1.5 Ah to a 12 Ah. monster just released by Milwaukee. DeWalt has a range of sizes. If you want more run time buy a higher capacity battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I don't think much of Dewalt anymore. When I bought the drill it worked good but the batteries quit after a number of years as expected. What ticked me off is I bought factory replacement batteries and the replacement batteries weren't near the quality of the originals. I'm finding I don't care for lithium ion batteries either. While the nicad batteries would last me working all day I have to charge a lithium battery three or four times. You are suppose to get more charges out of a lithium battery, I guess it's a good thing so maybe I might come out even.
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mycrossover is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 05-18-2018, 05:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 12,468
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Do you have a volt meter to see if the battery is charging like it is suppose to be? It could be a problem with the batteries and it might also be the charger. Harbor Freight often has a coupon where you can get a volt meter for free with another purchase.

Caution, just because the volt reading may be OK, that still does not guarantee that the batteries are storing and delivering the correct amperage. Checking the charger for the correct voltage does confirm or deny good charger.



Unfortunately I do not know of a good load test for these type of batteries. If you can find a friend who used the same battery you can try one of his/her batteries.


George
GeorgeC is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 05-20-2018, 04:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Pineknot_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,942
View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Used? Low power? That might be why they were sold?

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
Pineknot_86 is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 05-20-2018, 05:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greeley, Colorado
Posts: 142
View P89DC's Photo Album My Photos
I had this happen to me, lost a battery powered drill and toothbrush at the same time. Should have been a big hint. Bought a new drill and toothbrush. $250 spent, still had the issue. Then I figured out the outlet in my laundry room is switched with the light. LOL, joke was on me, I am sooooo smart, just ask me
P89DC is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 05-20-2018, 09:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 95
View Dodis's Photo Album My Photos
As mentioned above, check the amp/hr (ah) rating on the batteries (should be listed somewhere). I have 2 Ryobi drills that work great with the 1.6 ah batteries that came with them, but the 5-3/8" saw will only work good when using a 4.0 ah battery. Drove me nuts at first as I bought the larger battery that was available but didn;t verify the ah rating. The saw had little power and would stall out even on 1/2" plywood cuts. The higher the ah rating on the battery, the more power it can deliver the better heavier tools will work.

Mike
Texas Gulf Coast
Weekend Wood Wrecker...
Dodis is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 05-21-2018, 01:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 3,007
View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I have a set of 19.2 volt Craftsman C3 tools. They originally came with NiCd batteries, which would wear out quickly and not hold a charge. I was so frustrated with the NiCd batteries that I was ready to donate the full set of tools and replace them with something else, but that something else had to come with LITHIUM batteries. That's when Sears/Craftsman came out with C3 Lithium Ion batteries and chargers that were compatible with the C3 tools.

I had to buy new C3 lithium batteries and a new compatible charger, but I kept the same set of Craftsman C3 tools, and I am very pleased with the performance and lighter weight of the lithium ion batteries.

Regarding @OnlyAFew?s question:

* Is OnlyAFew?s using NiCd batteries? They give poor performance and do not last long. They are especially poor if they have been sitting on the shelf a few years. Dust them off and they look "new" but they may have rotted in the package for too long to be useful.

* Even if OnlyAFew?s is using lithium batteries, they eventually wear out, too, even in the package. They do much better than NiCd batteries, but they will age in the package, too.

* The low cost compatible batteries from third parties that you find on auction sites like eBay are hit and miss. Sometimes they give you good quality, often not. Often they work for a short while, but die quickly. Caveat emptor!
Tool Agnostic is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Makita 14.4 and 18v NiCad battery adapters unclefester Power Tools & Machinery 6 05-01-2017 10:01 AM
Looking for Solar battery charger that will charge dead 12V battery Sleeper Off Topic 30 03-14-2017 03:24 PM
Fooled by power tool cos! Jig_saw General Woodworking Discussion 5 03-01-2016 12:20 AM
What power tools do I need to make precision wooden children’s toys? JimGnitecki Power Tools & Machinery 57 12-11-2015 12:17 AM
Ridgid battery problem Howard Ferstler Hand Tools 9 09-21-2015 02:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome