Need Table Saw Advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By epicfail48

post #1 of 11 Old 06-19-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

View 10 ga Bob's Photo Album My Photos
Need Table Saw Advice

I have the same 10" Craftsman table saw I bought in 1976. It has the motor behind the saw and a pulley/belt arrangement. It has plenty of power (I replaced the motor about 8 years ago) but the rip fence is junk. The fence will not stay parrallel with the blade. I cannot find a source for an identical rip fence and I don't think I want to, given the hassle I have setting up the fence for a cut. The fence rides on pieces of 1 3/16" angle iron. I've been tempted to buy a new Grizzly 220V saw but I don't want to spend $800 if I can find a good, solid rip fence which will work on my Craftsman. Is anyone aware of a good aftermarket rip fence which can be cut-to-fit my angle iron?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-19-2014, 04:54 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
There are plenty of aftermarket fences that are top quality and will work for your saw.Vega and Beismeyer are 2 you should check into.
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (06-20-2014)
post #3 of 11 Old 06-19-2014, 05:00 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
That is a good saw. As Mako1 says there are plenty of good fences out there. I replaced the one on my Craftsman saw with a much better Craftsman fence many years ago.. The original fence was a piece of junk.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-19-2014, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
That is a good saw. As Mako1 says there are plenty of good fences out there. I replaced the one on my Craftsman saw with a much better Craftsman fence many years ago.. The original fence was a piece of junk.

George

I looked at the Vega and the Incra but wasn't thrilled with the $300 or $400 price tag. I'll take a look at the Craftsman fences which may fit it or which can be easily adapted to fit.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-19-2014, 07:14 PM

View Fastback's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like you were looking at the Pro model. You can get a Vega Utility 26 (26 to the right of the blade) for $220.00 including shipping.

These are decent fences and will make that Craftsman a great saw.

IMO, the fence is what makes the saw.

Paul
post #6 of 11 Old 06-19-2014, 09:02 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Ive actually hit the same problem on my own saw. Havent solved it yet, but ive seen a lot of links for homemade bisenmeyer style fence, something like this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Home...uild/?ALLSTEPS

Best o luck in your search though, ill be following with great interest
post #7 of 11 Old 06-19-2014, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

After reading the above suggestions, I've looked at the Vega U26, the INCRA, the Beisemeier and a few others. I didn't see that any of them had the capability to adjust for an out-of-true blade. I checked the alignment of my blade to the miter slots and the blade is about 1/32" out of alignment as measured when the blade is fully raised. I loosened the bolts holding the saw mechanism to the table and there isn't enough adjustment to correct this. Any play that existed, I had already taken up in trying to align the blade.

Is anyone aware of any brand of fences that can adjust to be parrallel with the blade rather than the miter slot? I recently bought an Incra miter gauge to allow me to square the miter gauge with the blade.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-19-2014, 11:56 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
The Biese, Vega, Delta T2, Shop Fox Classic, and most other Biese clones should be adjustable to be parallel with the blade.

These Cman Align-a-rip fences are a step up from what you've got, and should be a direct bolt on.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CRAFTSMA...item33907d377f
post #9 of 11 Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
If the blade is actually a 32nd out of alignment like that it's not set up right and there isn't really a fence that'll help with that. Before the fence gets upgraded you should take a look at that
woodnthings likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-20-2014, 11:21 AM

View Toolman2's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
The Biese, Vega, Delta T2, Shop Fox Classic, and most other Biese clones should be adjustable to be parallel with the blade.
He's correct, I bought a Delta T2 a few years back and installed it on my flex-drive Craftsman TS and it worked great. It was easy to install and I only had to drill and extra hole or 2, but it was well worth it.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
post #11 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 09:28 AM

View jjrbus's Photo Album My Photos
I had the Craftsman TS with the junky fence. Good saw and I did not use it much so tweaking the fence every cut was not a big deal. Then I started using it more and it became an issue.

Fence? Might as well been clamping a 2X4 to the saw!

Except for the fence it was a good saw and served my needs so I started looking for a fence. I was quickly put off by the price's, paying way more for a fence than I paid for the saw.

I was garage saleing and one had a Rigid TS2424, It had what appeared to be a decent fence. It came with a couple Xtra blades and an almost unused Freud Dado blade for $225, plus it had the wheel base on it. I was not entirely sure this was a good fence but thought I would try it.

The Saw had been disassembled for a move and not put back together and the blade guard was missing. I eventually picked up the guard for $25

The fence on this is good, love the wheel base and have used the dado a few times. I sold the craftsman for $125. I got lucky on the $125, I would not pay that much for the Craftsman!

So for $150 I got a reasonable fence, a wheel base and a dado.

Now I am watching for something with a riving knife and internal motor so it will fit in the garage.

Maybe you might be better looking around and trading up?? HTH JIm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode