Need New Circular Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 07-23-2020, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
Need New Circular Saw

I'm in the market for a new circular saw for DIY stuff. Based on reviews I'm leaning toward the Makita 5007MGA which is fairly pricey. I went to HD to check out the saws they carry. I also went to Lowes and saw their Metabo HPT circular saws. The Metabo HPT C7SB3M was relatively inexpensive compared to the Makita and lacked a brake and some of the other features and refinements that the Makita has. If the accuracy and performance are there I could go for the Metabo HPT due to price. Anybody have any experience with this particular Metabo HPT C7SB3M model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-23-2020, 07:16 AM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
Look up reviews on amazon and trust pilot.
johnep
post #3 of 10 Old 07-23-2020, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

@johnedp34
I've read a lot of reviews and the Makita 5007MGA comes out on top but at a premium price. There are Amazon reviews on the Metabo HPT but not at a lot of other review sites. There seems to be questions/confusion on Hitachi's purchase of Metabo, the sale of Hitachi/Metabo, the new owner's direction, the rebranding, and the subsequent quality. The Makita is pro-grade with a pro-grade price. Just wondering if the Metabo HPT C7SB3M is good quality for DIY use at a good price.....the Amazon reviews are good but I was looking for some reviews that did side by side tool comparisons to get an idea of the relative quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-23-2020, 08:51 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I assume that you have already ruled out other types of circular saws, like worm-drive Skil-type or smaller cordless saws, right? (Or left-blade saws?)

I assume that you want a right-blade, corded, 7-1/4 inch circular saw, right?

What will you do with it?
post #5 of 10 Old 07-23-2020, 09:24 AM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
Best Circular Saw Reviews Top 10 Picks
Makita HS7601J/2 (Editor's Choice) ...
DeWalt 18V XR 165mm (Top Cordless Option) ...
Tacklife PES01A 1500W (Budget Choice) ...
Worx WX423 Compact (Best Compact Option) ...
Bosch GKS 190 240V (Best Heavy-duty) ...
Makita HS6601 165 mm 240V. ...
Worx WX427 XL Compact. ...
Makita DSS611Z LXT Body Only.

Seems to confirm Makita and DeWalt.
johnep
post #6 of 10 Old 07-23-2020, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I assume that you have already ruled out other types of circular saws, like worm-drive Skil-type or smaller cordless saws, right? (Or left-blade saws?)

I assume that you want a right-blade, corded, 7-1/4 inch circular saw, right?

What will you do with it?
@Tool Agnostic
Yes..right blade, corded, 7 1/4 inch.
Pretty much DIY stuff e.g breaking down large plywood sheets for shelving or cabinet-type projects, cutting 2 X lumber, PVC trim, etc for home improvement projects. Not a tool I will use every day but I would like a good one when I need it. I've got an old Craftsman that is underpowered and not fun to use.
Will be using around my own home so although cordless would be nice I don't feel I need to go that route.
Worm drives seem to be a lot heavier and more expensive and I don't need that much power. From what I have read hand position on a left blade saw blocks vision.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-23-2020, 10:08 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I've a collection od circular saws from 1960 ....

My first circ saw is a Skil 8 1/4" monster and it still runs great. Too heavy for a first saw and too large a blade for cabinet type cuts although I made it work for years. Then I bought 2 Porter Cable 315's when I started building/remodeling my house.... Next was a Dewalt 18 volt trim saw 5 3/8" blade and I used that little bugger for everything, so much I bought 2 more, one is still NIB, unused. I had a slew of Dewalt 18 volt Ni-Cad tools so having 8 or so batteries was good for longer periods of use. Angle cuts on Cedar shiplap siding was where I used it most, light weight and no cord! Then I got a Craftsman/Black and Decker professional worm drive saw new and it's also a monster, but will cut through anything I've tried. Another one showed up at a local garage sale and for $50.00 I couldn't let it go. A 6" Porter Cable was an early purchase and it got used a bunch for remodeling and construction projects. The rigid line of battery tools had a 6 1/2" circular saw so that was a good deal since I already had 4 batteries. It's a right blade saw. A left blade Milwaukee 18 volt 6 1/2" saw joined my Milwaukee line up of drill and impacts, a jig saw and most recently a 18 V brushless router also with no cord! Ebay had a 4" Porter Cable trim saw like new and I had always want that little guy for things like breaking down plywood. A new Skilsaw magnesium base left blade sidewinder was from on sale at Amazon for $130.00! Ebay had a 8 1/4" version of the 315 in great condition and I never knew they even made that size saw, so I "needed" one.

I am probably finished buying circular saws .......

I wouldn't mind having a 10 1/4" Milwaukee or 16" Skilsaw though .....

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...qnEALw_wcBhmmm.

So, the message here is they come in many configurations, blade sizes, weights, drive types, right and left bladed and corded or battery. What you intend to do or make will determine which works best for you AND you may want/need more than one .... just sayin'

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-23-2020 at 10:26 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-23-2020, 10:51 AM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
If you're open to other options, I have had the Ridgid 6-1/2" as my only circular saw for at least ten years, and love it. It's a champ for framing, thanks to the light weight. I've used it to build garages, sheds, for cutting plywood, and concrete, with appropriate blades for each application.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...3204/205076385
post #9 of 10 Old 07-23-2020, 12:25 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
They all cut, the better the blade the better they cut. Pick the saw up and see how comfortable it is to use, if it feels good that is the saw you want.

I would not discount the newer cordless models, it took me a while to get used to my Makita, blade on wrong side, etc. but it has become the "go to".

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #10 of 10 Old 07-24-2020, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank You for all your replies and advice. After reading your comments I went 'back to the drawing board' and watched some reviews and videos of left blade saws. I went to a big box and picked up a couple to see how they felt. After all that I just ordered the Skilsaw Southpaw Sidewinder.... 7 1/4", left blade, corded.
Thank You folks again for sharing your experiences and opinions.

Tags
circular saw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode