Need a manual for a RAS - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

View mossyoak's Photo Album My Photos
Need a manual for a RAS

Does anybody have a manual for a craftsman RAS model 113.199250? I pick one up at a garage sale for $51. (I know, he asked me what the best I could do over $50 and naturally I was a smart a$$).

I would like to convert it over to 240V and need some alignment directions.

Don't know if this guy is legit or not.
http://www.sawmanuals.com/

If any one knows where I could get one, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-04-2014, 07:20 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Sears Parts Direct may have it. I entered your model no. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...63888/0009/113

http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0803498.pdf

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 15 Old 01-04-2014, 07:49 PM

View rbk123's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Here you go, I have that model saw.
Attached Images

post #5 of 15 Old 01-04-2014, 10:03 PM

What needs alignment?
post #6 of 15 Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
What needs alignment?

The arm to my fence. As I get out to 8" or so, it starts to "walk" on top of my square. The fence clamp is seized up so I can't move the fence. I am spraying WD-40 to try to free it to actually use it, but I didn't know if I can adjust the saw head instead.

Thanks for everyone's help
post #7 of 15 Old 01-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoak View Post
The arm to my fence. As I get out to 8" or so, it starts to "walk" on top of my square. The fence clamp is seized up so I can't move the fence. I am spraying WD-40 to try to free it to actually use it, but I didn't know if I can adjust the saw head instead.

Thanks for everyone's help
Are you referring to the threaded rod thingies that push on the backside of the filler pieces? Once you get them operational, you may have to loosen up the main table to get it to shift.

I use my framing square against the fence, and adjust the height of the blade to be a hair above the square, and I adjust to get one tooth to follow the square all the way out.

post #8 of 15 Old 01-05-2014, 08:27 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
You're going about this all wrong. You don't align the fence to the arm, it's the other way around. You really need a copy of the manual. That will not apply to leveling the table, in that case you adjust the table brackets to the arm. Download that pdf file file linked above.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)

Last edited by Fred Hargis; 01-05-2014 at 08:35 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-05-2014, 09:17 AM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
+1 on Fred's manual comment. As far as what needs alignment................EVERYTHING! The RAS is, IMHO, one of the more difficult tools to align properly. More difficult than any TS I've ever worked on. But get the OM and follow the instructions exactly and in order. I have a 60s vintage c-man RAS that cuts true every time. But it doesn't like to be moved around the shop, nor to have the arm angle changed from 90 degrees.

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-05-2014, 10:17 AM

View Tom King's Photo Album My Photos
Once you get the arm aligned. the motor can be aligned to roll true on the arm so you get no tear-out on a cut. The rollers have eccentric centers. You can loosen the bolt and turn the bearing to take up all the slack, and get the blade to run perfectly in line with the arm.

It's a PIA with the amount of fiddling it takes, but well worth it. Mine hasn't needed to be touched in 20 years, but I also never change the angle on the arm, or use it for cutting anything that there is any chance of hanging it up in. One lockup of the blade in a sorry piece of wood, and you have to do the alignment all over again.

I rarely use a sled on the table saw because it cuts so true though for crosscuts.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-05-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

I downloaded the manual yesterday and saw that the arm can be adjusted by 3 allen screws on the back of the arm. After doing that, it is tracking better but still not perfect. I have a 6" wixey gauge that shows it rolling off by 0.2 degrees at 6". I still need to play with it in order to get it perfect, I just wonder how the guy before me used it the way that it is.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-05-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I downloaded the manual yesterday and saw that the arm can be adjusted by 3 allen screws on the back of the arm. After doing that, it is tracking better but still not perfect. I have a 6" wixey gauge that shows it rolling off by 0.2 degrees at 6". I still need to play with it in order to get it perfect, I just wonder how the guy before me used it the way that it is.
It sounds more like there is play in the carriage bearings on the arm or perhaps there is excessive wear on the half round rods they run on. The adjustment for the bearings is illustrated on pabe 29 of the manual.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 08:33 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I just wonder how the guy before me used it the way that it is.
At least some amount of the bad reputation of the RAS is because folks were using them when they weren't tuned properly (IMHO). Like Steve said, it might be worthwhile to check some of the other things for excessive run out, but you're on the right track.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #14 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It sounds more like there is play in the carriage bearings on the arm or perhaps there is excessive wear on the half round rods they run on. The adjustment for the bearings is illustrated on pabe 29 of the manual.

I didn't get to page 29 yet, but after looking at it, it looks pretty straight forward. I will look at that next.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 08:43 PM

View TMA Woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Does anybody have a manual for a craftsman RAS model 113.199250? I pick one up at a garage sale for $51. (I know, he asked me what the best I could do over $50 and naturally I was a smart a$$).

I would like to convert it over to 240V and need some alignment directions.

Don't know if this guy is legit or not.
http://www.sawmanuals.com/

If any one knows where I could get one, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
The motor should have it's marking how to convert it. Go by that, I have had the manuals be different than the motor. As far as alignment, I had an the same model. I found this link that is for the recall but it also gives you the alignment tools you will need
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/pub/sp5983-2.pdf

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode