need info on my new band saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

View GISer3546's Photo Album My Photos
need info on my new band saw

Went to a warehouse liquidation and picked up this 14" 1/2 hp band saw for $100. I can see where there used to be a decal (which probably included some useful info) but had been removed. Once home I was oiling some of the parts and the blade guide just fell apart in my hands. I'm wondering what kind of blade guide to get, and also suggestions for a fence. It came with a blade that was obviously too big for it so blade size would also be good.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 08:54 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
there are some generic saws like that

The parts are pretty much interchangeable. If you can get to a Harbor Freight and look closely at their 14" bandsaw you may find the parts identical to yours. Like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/14-four...saw-60564.html

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 09:45 PM

View DannyT's Photo Album My Photos
how about a picture of the blade guard and all the pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Agree with above, pretty generic CHinese 14", just like my old JET JBS-14MW ca. '83. I don't like my saw but for $100 you did ok if you don't have one. I don't see the blade gaurd or the upper arm assembly and blade guide. Blade should be 93 1/2". When I get a chance later I'll email you the manual for my Jet, which has exploded views and speed change instructions, etc. I get (and just got two days ago) replacement parts at ereplacementparts.com. PM me if I forget to send you the manual, it's early LOL.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
contact iturra design. he'll be able to guide you through your rehab of the saw. he's forgotten more about BSs than all of us combined will ever know, and has never steered me wrong. seriously old school with no website, but can be reached here:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmc3znn/iturra-design

not the cheapest source for most things, but his sound advice and catalog (which is almost like a handbook for BSs) are worth the small premium on the products he sells.

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Here's some pictures of the guide. You can see on the side where it broke
Attached Images

post #7 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about picking up the Carter Products Delta 14" Hex Guide Conversion Kit, Carter# DEL14HEX, it seems to give me the blade guard that I am apparently missing... although it would cost double what I payed for the saw....

http://m.woodcraft.com/aHR0cDovL3d3d...wxNGhleC5hc3B4
post #8 of 12 Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I have visited Woodcraft and they weren't much help. Not only do they not have any of them but the claim they have to have the brand and model number. I have gone over ever inch of the thing and except for hand writen writing on the inside of the base that says "for band saw base", there is one decal that says "single phase induction motor.... made in china".

Would it be possible to find a entire blade guide and a blade cover without knowing the brand?
post #9 of 12 Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISer3546 View Post
Thinking about picking up the Carter Products Delta 14" Hex Guide Conversion Kit, Carter# DEL14HEX, it seems to give me the blade guard that I am apparently missing... although it would cost double what I payed for the saw....

http://m.woodcraft.com/aHR0cDovL3d3d...wxNGhleC5hc3B4
Go to the Harbor Freight store with your parts in hand and compare them to the saw on the floor. Then go to the HF site online manual PDF and order the parts if they are similar. It's that simple. Depending on the store manager they may give you or sell you the parts off the floor model ... I have had it happen!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-04-2013 at 08:22 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 PM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISer3546 View Post
I have visited Woodcraft and they weren't much help. Not only do they not have any of them but the claim they have to have the brand and model number. I have gone over ever inch of the thing and except for hand writen writing on the inside of the base that says "for band saw base", there is one decal that says "single phase induction motor.... made in china".

Would it be possible to find a entire blade guide and a blade cover without knowing the brand?
when you get tired of trying to get useful information from sales clerks who probably wouldn't know a band saw if it fell on them, contact lou iturra @ iturra design. if that saw can be helped, he'll know the best way top do it.

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

I have done some research and found that Grizzly parts are similar with central machinery. I have looked at manuals online and they seem like they would work... Anyone have any experience with mixing Grizzly and central machinery?
post #12 of 12 Old 03-06-2013, 02:57 PM

View gus1962's Photo Album My Photos
Aftermarket blade guides for Grizzly saws.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode