4Likes
  • 1 Post By sunnybob
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By kwoodhands

post #1 of 16 Old 05-31-2020, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

View Sawyer Zuniga's Photo Album My Photos
Need help getting bandsaw off trailer

I have a 32in bandsaw on a trailer and im not sure what might be the best way to get it off the trailer, the trailer has high sides ( 5x9 u hual). I cant use a forklift and dont have access to a skid steer. I do have a gantry crane i built and im thinking the best way to lift would be the top arm with straps. What are your thoughts?

Picture of my bandsaw

2nd picture is back of the arm where i want to lift
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (143).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	390525  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (142).png
Views:	22
Size:	614.2 KB
ID:	390527  

Sawyer Zuniga
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-01-2020, 12:59 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
How did you get it on the trailer?
Reverse engineering is your friend here.
GeorgeC likes this.

SunnyBob
my projects can be viewed here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...dwork_projects
post #3 of 16 Old 06-01-2020, 06:31 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
I'd look at long straps looped under the pallet as far as apart as possible, but still under the machine base. Lift it an inch, see if it tips. If it does, reset the straps to balance it. Once balanced, lift an inch or less, then drive the trailer out and lower it to the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-01-2020, 06:34 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Before I lifted it by the arm I would ask the manufacturer if this is possible.

George
post #5 of 16 Old 06-01-2020, 07:25 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
How high are the sides and .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer Zuniga View Post
I have a 32in bandsaw on a trailer and im not sure what might be the best way to get it off the trailer, the trailer has high sides ( 5x9 u hual). I cant use a forklift and dont have access to a skid steer. I do have a gantry crane i built and im thinking the best way to lift would be the top arm with straps. What are your thoughts?

Picture of my bandsaw

2nd picture is back of the arm where i want to lift
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybob View Post
How did you get it on the trailer?
Reverse engineering is your friend here.

Were you there when it was loaded onto the trailer and if so how did they do it? I would NOT lift it by the arm unless that was how it was loaded. You can eliminate some of the weight by removing the table and the motor if necessary. Those will be heavy, regardless and the tables are prone to breaking the trunnions if any forces are applied from lifting or sideways. CAUTION is the key to getting this off, not haste.

Why would you rent a trailer that made it impossible to get your bandsaw off when you got it home? This makes no sense to me.

I imagine the weight to be around 2000 lbs, roughly. Make certain that your crane can lift that amount or more..... safely. If there is any doubt, get a farmer with a large tractor and front loader to help.
I can't imagine any trailer where the rear panel does not come off for loading, even a dirt trailer will have a drop gate. Show us a photo of the saw and the back of the trailer. ALWAYS block the rear of the underside of a trailer when transferring heavy loads as it will lift the tongue off the trailer ball if you don't!
This is one of the strangest questions I've seen here.
GeorgeC likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-01-2020 at 07:27 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-01-2020, 09:57 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I would like to see a photo of the saw on the trailer, and more details about the trailer itself.
John Smith_inFL likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-01-2020, 06:05 PM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe a pallet jack.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...allet-handling
You'll need a ramp without too much angle.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-01-2020, 06:54 PM
where's my table saw?

It ain't about the saw, it's the dang trailer.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducbsa View Post
I'd look at long straps looped under the pallet as far as apart as possible, but still under the machine base. Lift it an inch, see if it tips. If it does, reset the straps to balance it. Once balanced, lift an inch or less, then drive the trailer out and lower it to the floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender View Post
Maybe a pallet jack.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...allet-handling
You'll need a ramp without too much angle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer Zuniga View Post

Lifting it an inch won't work. A pallet jack won't work either. A ramp won't work. He has a gantry, but what's the lifting capacity? How high are the trailer sides?

Removing the table and motor will lighten the load, and be safer anyway. This is like brain surgery on Skype, not the easiest or best way to do it. You need a farmer's touch here, not a bunch of woodworkers. A big John Deere with a 3000 lb lift capacity would be the ticket:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/d...te-oak-214359/

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...l-score-35412/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-01-2020 at 06:58 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-01-2020, 08:19 PM
mike44

View kwoodhands's Photo Album My Photos
Use rated straps under the saw base . Connect two 2x4's with bolts or all thread that clamps around the middle of the top wheel. The straps are between the saw top and the lumber. Tie off each strap so they cannot move side to side.
The loops in the strap go into a solid member, maybe a 4x6 if it will fit in the loops. If not a 3" solid bar or 4" steel pipe.
Must be rated to lift 2000lbs or more. Now your gantry or even a tow truck you hire can lift the saw. If the saw tilts then attach a 1/2 ton come-a-long to the low side. The come-a--long will easily plumb the saw. Lift a few inches with a lever hoist and drive the trailer out from under.
If you want to spend a few dollars and want the saw safely placed , then consider a rigger. They do this for a living, piece of cake for them. I do not know what it would cost but probably worth it.
mike
woodnthings likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-01-2020, 08:55 PM
where's my table saw?

Tow truck, perfect!

That reminds me when I moved my 1200 lb 13" South Bend metal lathe 2 miles down the road, my next door neighbor had a truck with winch and boom lift, a tow truck of sorts. We used a tag line to keep it from swinging and dropped it on the concrete in front of the shop door ...perfect. Rolled in it on 3/4" water pipes and that was all it took.

The weight of this saw will be concentrated just above the table, so it will want to tilt unless restrained. The typical lifting straps from Harbor Freight are too short unless they have longer ones, but tow straps with hooks will work. Like these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Max-Load...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tow truck .... perfect!

post #11 of 16 Old 06-01-2020, 10:21 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a 24" planer made in 1909 - Babbitt bearings and all - in the late 1980's and had a monument company transport it the 3 miles to our shop. They used their boom, rated for 2,000 lbs. extended, to set it inside the warehouse door near the loading dock (the planer exceeded the 2k lbs. but it still worked). We also used pipe to roll it about 30' to its temporary location. I don't recall it costing very much, just had to hit them when they didn't have any monuments going to a local cemetery. They were actually happy to hire the truck out on a down day so it was a win/win situation.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #12 of 16 Old 06-02-2020, 12:35 AM

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
I can't wait to see the photos!

post #13 of 16 Old 06-02-2020, 01:38 AM

View ajdragon's Photo Album My Photos
Hi

Did you get it off the trailer?
post #14 of 16 Old 06-02-2020, 10:04 AM
where's my table saw?

A 5 X 9 U Haul trailer .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestd View Post
I can't wait to see the photos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdragon View Post
Hi

Did you get it off the trailer?

Like I said I can't imagine a trailer that doesn't have a removable back for unloading/loading. This one has a ramp for wheeled vehicles that would make fork lift access more difficult:
https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x9-U...amp-Rental/RT/

U Haul doesn't offer a 5 X 9 without a ramp, only a 5 X 8 utility:
https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x8-U...ler-Rental/AO/

We still don't know what is really going on here unfortunately, so much of this is just speculation until the OP returns. He asks for help then is AWOL for days..... hmmm?

post #15 of 16 Old 06-03-2020, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

View Sawyer Zuniga's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry for being not active been quite busy. All the advice was quite helpful and I ended up lifting the saw by the arm with as much weight removed as possible and turned out fine. The saw was loaded when the ramp of the trailer was blocked up level with the bed of the trailer and was pushed with a forklift, you wouldn't have access to the pallet with forks, the saw was on a pallet. Where I was unloading it there was no room for a forklift/skid steer. Thank you for all the responses!

Sawyer Zuniga
post #16 of 16 Old 06-04-2020, 08:20 PM

View Packy McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Take it apart as much as needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode