Need advice for table saw dado cuts... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 12-17-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

View eharthun's Photo Album My Photos
Need advice for table saw dado cuts...

Recently bought Rigid R4510 Table Saw and just found out they do not have a dado throat plate to fit the saw. Two questions: first, is it possible to do dado cuts with a dado set but not a throat plate? second, if you should use a throat plate, any suggestions on what to do given Rigid doesn't make one for this saw? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
This will help

First,.... do not use a dado setup with out a close fitting throat plate...ever.... period.
Second.... they do make a throat plate for your saw:

More Amazon.com Search Results for "http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_sq_top?ie=UTF8&keywords=rigid%20r4510&index=blended&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001W0ZI9K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0V8AS5Y5ANPA6GPCSAV0" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VAW28M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001W0ZI9K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0V8AS5Y5ANPA6GPCSAV0 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VAW28M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001W0ZI9K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0V8AS5Y5ANPA6GPCSAV0

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VAW28M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001W0ZI9K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1YBKHYHNQYVR1J517QPK

Same as for your saw: http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-R4510-Heavy-Duty-Portable-Table/dp/B001W0ZI9K
bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-17-2010 at 10:34 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
I did a quick look on the web (Emerson Site) and did not notice any specification for the limitation of width for a dado blade. I would suspect that since it is a "Job Site" class saw, the saw is not designed for a dado.

There is an easy way to tell if the saw might accept a dado. Install a normal blade on your saw. Use the arbor washer and nut and tighten as normal. Now measure the amount of arbor threads that stick out of the nut. If there are about 3/4" or more of threads, you might be able to run a dado.

Next take a 1", 1/4x20 screw with a nut and lightly clamp the screw to a gullet in the blade. The screw should stick out in the same direction as the threads that you measured above. With the saw unplugged, turn the blade by hand. Does the screw bind or rub on any part of the saw? Or Did a part of the saw knock the screw off of the blade? If the answer to both is no, you may be able to run a dado blade in this saw. (The manufacturer may advise against it, however.)

Be aware that regardless of the HP numbers, most job site saws are a bit anemic to be running a dado blade. If you are able to fit a dado blade on this saw, I would suggest using a 6" dado blade.

A throat plate can be easily made for most saws with removable throat plates. Also, a zero clearance throat plate can be purchased and used as a dado throat plate. Just use the same procedure that you would use when making a ZC throat plate.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.

Last edited by rrich; 12-17-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode