Need advice on edge sander - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 05-20-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

View Danny870's Photo Album My Photos
Need advice on edge sander

Hey guys, I am looking for some advice on edge sanders. I would like to buy one for my shop in order to be able to edge sand cabinet doors. I build a lot of cope and stick cabinet doors, and I don't like cleaning up the top and bottom edges with a hand held sander. i have been looking at the Grizzly G1531 at $700 with shipping and was wondering if there might be any more economical choices out there? I have searched Craigslist locally but so far nothing has come up in my price range. I did find a used slightly beat up Delta model that the guy wants $250 for, but he is not local and the shipping is close to $200 making it around $450. Does that seem reasonable? Are there any other edge sanders that are below $500? Is an edge sander the best way to sand cope and stick cabinet door edges?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-20-2016, 05:43 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
We have the floor model 6x80.

Treat it like a rented mule,translated...we run the snot out of it ��.

It tracks perfect,and belt changes are a snap.Ours has payed for itself,several times over.

That's the good news.The attachment for use on the "nose"...doing inside radius is a blooming joke,as issued.Not that it can't be fixed...but it is NOT usable as issued.The other complaint can easily be levied against pretty much ALL edges sanders(we used to have a Crouch and was worse than the grizz),and that's the dust hood.We rolled our own and literally threw the factory one out the shop door.Bit then we're really picky on dust management.

We have several edge sanders,and if we need another,it would be a grizz.

PS,we also put a larger cast iron table on.Nuthin wrong with the factory C.I. table,in fact we use it as a resaw fence for a big BS.The new table is much longer and has a true T slot.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-20-2016, 10:36 PM

View SNash22's Photo Album My Photos
Remain patient. I found a jet 6x89, bought new last year, for $400. Had to drive 2 hours to pick it up. There is an ap for you phone for craigslist that makes searching easy. I watched everyday for about a month and finally found this jet. Ill bet you can get a good one for less than $700 if you just wait. To your other question. I can't believe I went for 15 years without one. Huge time saver. Yes I think it would serve you well with your doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-21-2016, 10:28 AM

View UnisawGuy's Photo Album My Photos
I built 1 using a 4 x 24 belt sander.
A base to hold the sander with the belt platen vertical, a toggle clamp to hold the sander in place, and fences on either side to guide long stuff.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-22-2016, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

View Danny870's Photo Album My Photos
What would you guys recommend for sanding the edges of typical cope & stick cabinet doors? Mainly the top and bottom edges.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-22-2016, 08:24 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Don't you put some kind of profile on the edge of your doors? I have a shaper cutter I made which puts a profile on the edge of the door as well as dresses the edge and puts a gentle radius on the back edge of the door. I make the doors 1/8" bigger in width and height and run all four edges through the shaper and I'm done with it. No edge sanding needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1085.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	239570  

post #7 of 7 Old 05-22-2016, 09:05 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Danny I still have the 6X89 220v edge sander, I will take $400 for it but shipping would be unreal.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode