need advice on drum sander - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 01-28-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

View anjwoodworks's Photo Album My Photos
need advice on drum sander

I build alot of large solid wood panels. They are used for taxidermy mounts. The widest one I build is about 22" wide so far. I have been looking at drum sanders because right now I work all of my pieces by hand (5" r.o.s.) But, my business has really picked up and I need to do something to help me get things done faster so I can keep up with the demand.
I have been looking at Jet sanders but was curious about which way to go. Should I just get the larger or a smaller model. I was unsure about the idea of running it through on one half and then turning it around to sand the other half of a large panel. Would it be better to just get the one that would do it all in one pass.
I was just wondering if any of you might have an answer to my problem or at least could point me in the right direction.

A.J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 PM

View Paul K's Photo Album My Photos
Well, if MOST of the panels are narrower, then maybe an open ended one is fine. Even an open ended sander is still about 10 times faster than all by hand. I have used a woodmaster drum sander and liked it. Also used a Performax open ended sander, and while I certainly had complaints about it, it still did a lot of work for me. If i had any quantity of wood to sand, I would certainly use the drum rather than hand sanding. On the other hand, if you are really sanding a lot of wood, (and I would guess that you aren't yet, as you are still hand sanding), then consider a small wide belt sander. Steel city makes a really small one, that is probably not too expensive. It probably is somewhat between a wide belt and a drum in speed, probably closer to the drum. A small widebelt, like the Sunhill PDM15, certainly is much faster than a drum. But you can buy a drum sander for less money. If you have LOTS of space, you might consider a stroke sander. You can buy them used CHEAP, and they are fast and do a nice job. If you are sanding mostly softer woods rather than maple or such, then a drum might be the best. If harder woods, and a lot of it, then maybe a wide belt or a stroke.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode