Need advice: Dewalt DW746 or Jet JWTS-10 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 09-20-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

View Neophyte's Photo Album My Photos
Need advice: Dewalt DW746 or Jet JWTS-10

Friends,
I have found valuable information on both of these saws in the forums but I would like some advice. Please bear with me, I am very new to this. I found them on CL in the NY/NJ area. Both are same price: $350. Dewalt: factory fence, miter gauge, two extra inserts, two additional blades. Jet: jet-fence, miter gauge, two additional blades. condition is very good for both but Dewalt has some rust on the iron top that suggests pitting (rough to the touch) and would have to clean to figure out. Dewalt has been used more, Jet less. The owner of the Jet will also throw in: Skil router, Ryobi plane jointer, clamps and some other tools for an additional $150.
My purpose: I have been refinishing furniture and want to get into building closets for my house, cabinets and so forth. After looking for a used TS for 2 months I have concluded that the most important issues for me are an accurate fence, ease of alignment, dado capabilities and dust control. I cannot fit a larger saw in my garage. I need the additional tools and would go for the Jet but I really liked the Dewalt.

Any thoughts or ideas?
All comments appreciated.
Thanks

Marc, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-21-2015, 03:56 AM

View 44260's Photo Album My Photos
I myself have NO personal experience with either one of these saws, since you are just starting out I did a little of my own research on both of these saws and here is my opinion. If I was in your shoes I would go for the JET table saw, why? To start out the Dewalt saw is no longer made and you don't know if or how much longer parts will be available. From what I have read in reviews the fence on the Dewalt is not very good. The JET saw is still being produced so parts should be readily available. The fence on the JET is also a good quality fence, not the cadillac of fences but a good one. The basic model of the JET table saw is selling on Amazon for $1300, the Dewalt sold new was $900.

As far as the extra tools the JET owner has for $150, may or may not be a good deal. I would need a full detailed list of what he is including in all of that package. Depending on model number, the router could be just a basic plain jane model that you can buy new for around $60. The jointer may not be made anymore from what I have read may not be very good (lots of problems) The clamps on ther hand may be worth it depending on condition, brands, sizes and quantity. Depending on what the other tools are, those with the clamps could possibly be worth the extra $150. I wouldn't get to excited over the router or jointer though. You also offer him another price if you buy the whole package (saw and extra tools)
post #3 of 11 Old 09-21-2015, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice
The Skil router sells for 110 and the Ryobi for 100 at big box inc. There are about 8 router bits included and a jar of biscuits. Clamps: also bought from big box, includes four pipe clamps ($10 each), four grip clamps (I calculate about $40 value), two Bessey F clamps ($15 each?) and 4 (or six) lock hand clamps ($8 each). Also, an older Delta 10" chop saw, square ruler, combination square and a circular saw cutting guide. Most items in like new condition because the guy built only two projects.
I see you are from Louisiana - I lived in NO for 22 years!
Thanks for the time you spent on this

Marc, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-21-2015, 02:54 PM

View Dopalgangr's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Marc,

I have that same Jet table saw and I purchased mine from Craigs List a year or so ago for $400. Mine is the one with the cast iron wings and it was in mint condition with no rust. The guy included a outfeed table, mitre sleds, dado blades, and some other items. I run mine on 220v and recommend you do the same if possible. It runs smooth and has plenty of power. It was one of the best purchases that I have made on CL. Good Luck, if yours is in the same condition as mine was it wont last long.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-21-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Dopalgangr,
Thanks for the feedback. This one has steel extensions (painted white) and is near free of rust. I think the seller is the second owner and used it to build only two projects - it has hardly been used, looks quite good in fact. The only extras are two blades plus the deal on additional tools I describe above.

Marc, NY
post #6 of 11 Old 09-21-2015, 03:57 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
I've always liked the 746 but it sounds like the one you're looking at might have been neglected some. The Jet is also a nice saw.

Personally, usually when I go searching for a specific tool on CL I'm not interested in additional 'thrown-ins' unless it's something I really need and is thrown in for the asking price. If it were me I'd be looking to try and get that JWTS-10 for closer to $300 and forget the cheap brand extras. However $350 is a perfectly fair price for that saw.

If you have no routers right now it's an OK deal along with the other items if they aren't beat down.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-21-2015, 06:49 PM

View Dopalgangr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
Dopalgangr,
Thanks for the feedback. This one has steel extensions (painted white) and is near free of rust. I think the seller is the second owner and used it to build only two projects - it has hardly been used, looks quite good in fact. The only extras are two blades plus the deal on additional tools I describe above.
Your welcome, my only grip with the saw is that the dust collection is not that good. A lot of sawdust and debris tend to fill in little cavities inside the housing and eventually builds up to where you need to remove the blade insert and stick the vacuum in to get it. This however takes a while to accumulate and has no adverse effects on the saw. Are you in the NY/NJ area?
post #8 of 11 Old 09-21-2015, 07:59 PM

Neophyte, it looks like you did your homework! Reading your itemized description of the tools, I myself would go for the Jet deal with the package but offer $450 for everything just because he is asking $500. I always try to get things cheaper then what they ask, but the way I'm understanding it $500 sounds like a good deal!

Yes, I live an hour north of Baton Rouge. I have been here for 20 years and moved down from outside of Philadelphia. GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 11 Old 09-21-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

dirty-curty - I am in fact getting it for less because he offered to deliver, which would cost me about $40 for a trailer rental.
Good friend of mine lives in BR, relocated from Arabi after the storm. He works on wood, builds rods, sculpts in metal and blows glass! A hell of a fisherman, too. He is one of my inspirations.

Marc, NY
post #10 of 11 Old 09-21-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Dopalgangr: I am in Rockland County, NY - if you are familiar with the area, just south of Harriman Park. Great view of the Hudson.
Thanks for your advise

Marc, NY
post #11 of 11 Old 09-21-2015, 09:01 PM

Free delivery is a good thing also!!!!!!
When you get things set up and get to use some of your new toys, give us an update

Tags
tablesaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode