nail gun - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 04-19-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

View jorma's Photo Album My Photos
nail gun

I painted my kitchen cabs. Ten of the upper cabs have glass fronts, so I pulled off all the glass stops and painted those.
Now I need to install them (and new glass). I am Not A Carpenter and not familiar with the lingo. What gun should I be looking for.?
Pin
Brad
Staple
18 gauge
If you want to provide me with a link, go for it.
Thank You
BTW... the stops are only 1/2 inch wide...maybe 1/4 inch deep. Perhaps a 23 gauge pin is all I need.?

Last edited by jorma; 04-19-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-19-2016, 11:16 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
23 gauge micro pinner would be ok. I wouldn't use anything bigger. Just be careful how you aim it. You might want to put a few little dabs of silicone sealer or acrylic caulk on each piece of wood. The micro pinner nails are headless and don't have much real holding power. They are meant to be used with glue.
Mike Hawkins:smile3:
post #3 of 13 Old 04-19-2016, 11:47 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Just one job, I would use this nail gun with 1/2" brads. You can hold the brads with needle nose pliers.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-20-2016, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Fire...Yeah, when I removed the old Glue Chip glass, I noticed the glaziers had used some silicone as you say. I will do similar. Thanks

Steve... Touche.! Sometimes the obvious answer is best, but this WILL come in handy over the next 30 years. :smile3:
My neighbor has a few (but not a 23 gauge) Porter Cable guns I have used at various times. I will probably go with their brand for this as well.
Thanks Again
post #5 of 13 Old 04-20-2016, 05:10 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Id go for the brad nailer. A short brad should hold the the stops in just fine, and in my opinion youll get a lot more general use from an 18 gauge brad nailer than you would a 23 gauge pinner. Not saying the pinners a bad one to have by any means, for something like installing trim on a cabinet it would be the go to, but a brad nailer has a lot more flexibility

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 13 Old 04-20-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

The glass stops are so small, i tried using my neighbors 18 Gun, but half the time I split the stops...so I stopped using it and asked you guys. :smile3:
Maybe a better carpenter could make it work (though I was going pretty slow) but I noticed the glaziers used a Very Small diameter nail as well.
No doubt you are correct, and The 18 would get more use. The 23 will just have to be a tool for the long haul...maybe use it to discipline The Grand-Kids.
Thank You
post #7 of 13 Old 04-20-2016, 10:46 AM

View MatthewEOD's Photo Album My Photos
You could always pilot hole your brad nails, its kind of tedious, but might work.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-20-2016, 04:09 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
An important thing to note with Brad nails is orientation of the gun. If you look at the Brad's themselves they're flat, rectangular and kinda wedge shaped. If you orient the long end of the nail parallel to the wood grain, the chance of splitting it a lot higher than if you were to orient the nail perpendicular to the grain

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #9 of 13 Old 04-20-2016, 10:15 PM

Harbor Freight sells some pretty good nail guns cheap. Just don't get the one that says combination nailer or stapler. The gun works fine with the exception on nails the driver makes a mark on the wood like you used staples.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-21-2016, 01:35 PM

View TimeTurnsElastic's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with Epicfail here. A 23GA gauge micro pinner might be the right tool for the specific project you're describing. But if you only plan to own one gun, I'd make it an 18GA brad nailer. For furniture and glue-ups to light trim work it will probably be your most versatile option. Oftentimes the holes are small and discrete enough you may not even need to putty.

Cordless brad nailers have become hugely popular lately. DeWalt, Paslode, Milwaukee, Craftsman and Ryobi all make one. They're perfect if the project only calls for a few nails and you don't feel like setting up a compressor just to get a couple shots off. As someone who regularly uses both battery and air powered guns, I'd strongly suggest going pneumatic if you anticipate a fair amount of nailing in your future. I own a cordless DeWalt brad nailer and a Bosch 16GA finish gun and while they're both quality brand-name tools, the technology isn't quite there yet. Heavy and underpowered. Paslode's is substantially lighter, but I know several carpenters who aren't crazy about those either as they require costly fuel cartridges in addition to batteries.

As far as trim work goes, I often use a brad nailer for more delicate decorative casing, shoe, and wainscoting panels or other pieces where I'm also using construction adhesive. My go-to though is without a doubt a 15GA finish gun. For larger moldings, crown, jambs, etc, an 18GA just doesn't have the holding power (other than maybe shooting 2" fasteners into wall studs). However, I'm assuming you're not a trim carpenter, so your uses for a 15GA are probably quite limited. Just wanted to put that out there because IMO, no carpenter's tool box is complete without one...and if you plan on doing any home renovation work down the line, it would be an essential addition to your collection. For your current applications, I think a brad nailer would be the way to go. (Being light and easy to handle, they're also useful for temporarily holding pieces roughly in place as they can be easily "kicked" into exact position before permanently fastening by hand or with a framing nailer).

Hitachi makes great, very reasonably priced guns. Blue Sky Tools is a good online vendor of refurbished Hitachi tools (and no, I don't have any affiliation). The 15GA finish nailer I got from them cost about $100 and didn't have a scratch on it. Came with the original manual and a brand new case. Hitachi's 23 and 18 gauge nailers are solid as well. My boss and a carpenter I work with are both Senco guys. Senco's Finish Pro brad nailer is a good gun, and we also have an ancient 15GA that's heavy as a bag of rocks but has been going strong for 20+ years and still works like a champ. So I'd also consider Senco. A cabinet guy I know swears by Grex, but reviews are mixed, and they're pretty darn expensive too. Though once the gold standard in pneumatics, Bostich has really gone downhill IMO. Personally I'd look elsewhere, but supposedly their latest high-end models are quite good; I haven't tried them though, so you'll want to do your own research. Tons of great options out there these days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Id go for the brad nailer. A short brad should hold the the stops in just fine, and in my opinion youll get a lot more general use from an 18 gauge brad nailer than you would a 23 gauge pinner. Not saying the pinners a bad one to have by any means, for something like installing trim on a cabinet it would be the go to, but a brad nailer has a lot more flexibility
post #11 of 13 Old 04-21-2016, 04:13 PM

View pweller's Photo Album My Photos
I think this one would be good - this is what I've used and it always works. It's also very cheap at $25 (less with a coupon)

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...ler-68022.html

I found Porter Cable sells a 'project pack' of 23 gauge pins in a variety of lengths which is also handy.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-21-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the Help/Responses.
I swear, every time that I BUY a cheap tool, it Never Performs the way so many others say theirs does.....and then I end up buying a "real" tool anyway.
With that said, I bought one of these.
Thanks Again

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049ZBOUM/...uge+pin+nailer
post #13 of 13 Old 04-21-2016, 09:21 PM

I hope it does better than the Porter Cable 16ga nailer I bought. The drivers kept breaking. I replaced them three or four times and trashed the gun. I think I spend as much on drivers as I did the gun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode