My new Delta 46-460 Lathe finally arrived. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
A review of my new Delta 46-460 Lathe

I ordered this lathe off the Sears website but it came through the marketplace from Tool King. Confusing I know but since i had to exchange my Craftsman lathe for credit this was the better way to go. I ordered it at 12:05 Am on the 24th and it arrived today the 27th with no damage to the box. Not bad

I tore the box open and other then it being a little hard to get out of the styrofoam package and a little heavier then I expected no problems. I was please to see a 5 year warranty which I didn't remember when I purchased it but better then the other way around.

My Craftsman was a 12x19 and the delta is a 12x20 but with twice the motor (1hp) and variable speed from 250 - 4000.

Right out the box and I knew this before I ordered it, the tool rest or a little disappointing and light. Not a problem because I have others. I also noticed the spindle lock for indexing is in an odd spot just next to and almost behind the headstock knob. I don't see that as a major issue but we will see. It seams a little beefier then the craftsman with larger handles, motor and banjo but they really should address the light tool rest even though it is nice that they give you a short and a long one.

I also noticed the Delta has larger pulley's and belt. it also has larger heavier rails, tail stock and as i said earlier banjo.

I will write up a little more once I get it set up. io did include a picture or two until later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lathe bed.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	24873  

Name:	pully's.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	24874  

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	24875  

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg
Views:	1713
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	24876  

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	24877  

Last edited by rrbrown; 05-27-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 04:22 PM

View TonyBal's Photo Album My Photos
Very cool Richard!!! Looks like you are going to have some fun this weekend.

Ability is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it.
-Lou Holtz
post #3 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 05:05 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
It does look beefy for a lathe that size. What ya planning to turn? BTW...Just a word about safety. Turning can kill ya. Check it out.

post #5 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
It does look beefy for a lathe that size. What ya planning to turn? BTW...Just a word about safety. Turning can kill ya. Check it out.

Small bowls up to 12", pens, lidded boxes, maybe other things as I GETmore and get practice. I did turn another Oak bowl it worked great, quite and smooth. I love the extra power and EVS.

Yeah C'man I saw that a while back.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post

That's sad. Hate to see a woman get injured or killed. Also hate it when reporters misuse a machine tool:

"While working in the Laboratory’s machine shop, Michele’s hair got caught in one of the shop’s wood lathes, Levin wrote in the e-mail. A lathe is a large machine used in woodworking and metal working that molds objects through use of a rotating mechanism."

A lathe is the only machine that can replicate itself, but it doesn't mold anything.

Oh yeah, congratulations on the new lathe!

Harrison, at your service!
post #7 of 8 Old 05-28-2011, 09:28 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Rich, that's a sweet looking lathe buddy. I have considered this one for my shop due to space restrictions but I wasn't sure about it. A review would be nice once you get the chance to run it through some tests. Glad to hear it came unscathed. Too many times, things are damaged in shipping. Awesome stuff.
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #8 of 8 Old 05-29-2011, 07:35 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown
I ordered this lathe off the Sears website but it came through the marketplace from Tool King. Confusing I know but since i had to exchange my Craftsman lathe for credit this was the better way to go. I ordered it at 12:05 Am on the 24th and it arrived today the 27th with no damage to the box. Not bad

I tore the box open and other then it being a little hard to get out of the styrofoam package and a little heavier then I expected no problems. I was please to see a 5 year warranty which I didn't remember when I purchased it but better then the other way around.

My Craftsman was a 12x19 and the delta is a 12x20 but with twice the motor (1hp) and variable speed from 250 - 4000.

Right out the box and I knew this before I ordered it, the tool rest or a little disappointing and light. Not a problem because I have others. I also noticed the spindle lock for indexing is in an odd spot just next to and almost behind the headstock knob. I don't see that as a major issue but we will see. It seams a little beefier then the craftsman with larger handles, motor and banjo but they really should address the light tool rest even though it is nice that they give you a short and a long one.

I also noticed the Delta has larger pulley's and belt. it also has larger heavier rails, tail stock and as i said earlier banjo.

I will write up a little more once I get it set up. io did include a picture or two until later.
I got mine in January. It is my first lathe. So all I know is the delta 46-460. I absolutely love it.

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode