My Jointer Discussion - PC 6" - PC160JT - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 01-18-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
My Jointer Discussion - PC 6" - PC160JT

I've made this thread to discuss my purchase of a Jointer

I'm more than likely going with the PC bench top...

Here are a few quotes from another thread with my responses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
Any differences in thickness edge to edge or end to end will not be corrected with just a jointer. For both sides to be flat and parallel, one side must be jointed flat, and then passed through a planer with the jointed side down (away from the knives).
Thanks @Alchymist - for my current needs, I don't need both sides parallel since I don't currently work with good wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
The problem with using a jointer as a planer is that the jointer cannot assure you that the top and bottom surfaces are parallel to each other. A jointer doesn't know anything about the top side when it flattens the bottom side. The result is that the board may not be the same thickness on all edges. The planer uses the bottom "flat" side as a reference when it takes a cut from the top side, so you know that both sides are parallel to one another.

IMPORTANT: The planer assumes that the bottom side of the board is flat. If it isn't, then the planer will press down on it, but the board will pop up again when it emerges, yielding unsatisfactory results. To flatten the top of an irregular board in a planer, you should support it from underneath and run it through with a sled. It is riskier and more time consuming to flatten an irregular board with a planer, something that can be done quickly and easily on a jointer.

The jointer really shines when you use it to square the edge of a board to a perfect 90 degrees. A planer knows nothing about the edges of a board.

Jointers and planers are complementary. When you have both, there is a synergistic effect that enhances the work flow. There are ways to get by if you have one but not the other, especially if you have additional tools that can act as substitutes, such as a table saw or router.

You can also do jointing and planing with hand tools. I have a power planer, and I really wish I had room and budget for a power jointer. In the meantime, I will make do with sleds to flatten irregular boards using the planer. For squaring edges, I found that a hand plane on its side puts a perfect 90 degree edge on flat boards when I clamp them in a shooting board on the workbench. It is efficient and quick. I am currently using an old #5 jack plane, but I am restoring a #7 jointer plane that I bought at the swap meet. If they work out as well as my tests have shown, I may not bother to buy a jointer at all.

Another option for squaring edges is to use the table saw. There are a variety of techniques you can use.

For the record, I have tried flattening boards with hand planes. That requires much more skill than squaring edges with a hand plane and a shooting board. I will continue to use the power planer for a while longer. :-)
@Tool Agnostic - Yah, I agree. No argument, however...

I currently use my TS for edging and sander(s) to try and make my junk boards "flatter". I haven't tried using my TS for all sides yet, but just made another jig to try that.

At my level of proficiency (which is still very basic), getting everything perfect is not a priority. I've yet to make anything "perfect" - every thing I make has mistakes of some kind or another

My wallet is not fat enough to buy top end machines - hence my recent purchase of the skil 9" band saw.

It was cheap, lets me work with a machine I've never used before deciding if I need/want a better more expensive band saw - which I may in the future.

For right now, being able to get the edges smooth with my TS works good enough for me, but getting the flat of the boards smooth is a real PITA with a sander!

Having the 6" PC jointer solves 3 problems for me:
  1. I get to work with another machine I have no idea how to work that is within my budget
  2. I can get my boards "smooth" with a lot less effort.
  3. It's a bench top so I can put it away or make another rolling cart for it
I have no room for a large jointer. If I need longer feeds, I can make another miter cart with wings for the jointer

I understand there is no parallel using the jointer, but you have to remember I don't work with good wood like the rest of you!

I don't use hand tools, since I really don't know how - except a hammer and a hack saw LOL

I've gotten very good at destruction!

Heck, I just learned how to rabbet, still can't figure out how to get dadoes done correctly on more than 1 board for shelf units and cabinets and just learned how to join more than 1 board to make wider boards!

Perfection/even thickness/parallel is about the last thing on my mind right now LOL

I work a lot with ply, sometimes Pine and now more with pallet wood. Ply and pine I don't need to joint, only the Pallet.

If I ever get good enough to use good wood, then I might look into getting a planer as well since hopefully by then I'll have enough funds to do so and I'll know why I need one LOL.

Thoughts?

Thanks as always in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode