Mobile Base Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

View RLHERRON's Photo Album My Photos
Mobile Base Question

I want to put my RAS on a mobile base. I know there are many brands out there to choose from. Looking for comments from people that have bought them as to the quality of the base.

Also any thoughts on best buy for the price.

Has anyone built a mobile base? Could you post pictures.

As always, any help would be appreciated.

RLH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The perfect base would be a storage cabinet

Why not make a plywood storage cabinet for all your blades and accessories on locking casters. An open self and some doors to keep the dust out...perfect. I bought a 4 wheel furniture dolly from Harbor Freight, cheaper than you can buy the casters, and put the Craftsman drawer cabinet that came with the saw years ago, on top. A fold up extension wing on each end would make cross cutting a breeze, and if you should dare to try ripping, would also help. That's what I'd do, if mine weren't more or less permanently located. I have more than one RAS...call me crazy, I know. bill

dolly at HF: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf
/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93614
They have a mobile base as well: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95288

Permanent RAS with 6.5 HP shop vac underneath:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1048.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	12969  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1044.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	12970  

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-18-2010 at 04:10 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-18-2010, 02:52 PM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
Double up and glue together a couple of pieces of ĺ" plywood sized to fit your RAS. Add some http://www.amazon.com/Steelex-D2608-3-Inch-220-Pound-Polyurethane/dp/B0000DD1EE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1263844155&sr=8-1 and corner blocks for the RAS's legs and for not a whole lot of money you'll have one very solid base.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
I have three Shop Fox mobile bases (purchased from Grizzly). They're kinda pricey, they're very heavy duty, and they work very well, but you have to bend down to screw and unscrew the locking mechanisim very time you move them. If you don't move them a lot it's not a problem. Or, if you're young, nimble, and have good knees, it's not a problem. If you're not young, nimble, and don't have good knees, you may want to consider one of the brands with a foot actuated locking lever. Fortunately, I'm still nimble enough to consider it a non-issue. My plannar weighes approx. 1,000 pounds and it moves easily on a concrete floor with the Shop Fox base. Aside from the locking mechanism and the price tag, I highly recommend them.

I understand Woodcraft sells wheels attached to corner mechanisms for building your own, but they're almost as expensive as the complete manufactured units.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-19-2010, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

View RLHERRON's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the replys. Not sure which way I'll go yet.

Suppose to get up to 61 Degrees today, So I'll be able to get into the shop and do some work today.

RLH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode