Miter and Table Saw Fence Material - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

View Clutchcargo's Photo Album My Photos
Miter and Table Saw Fence Material

What is a good material to use on the fence for my saws?
I've got a table saw with a crappy fence and want to increase the height to maybe 3".
My buddy uses plywood but that doesn't remain completely flat. I want to use a plastic material. Ideas on which plastic? It needs to be slippery, stable, and have high wear characteristics.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 02-06-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 12:49 PM

View jlhaslip's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to jlhaslip
glue some Laminate onto the plywood
post #3 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

The plastic in this post is the plastic I'm looking for.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/m...497/#post10419?
Does anyone know the name of this type of plastic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 03:00 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
First glance

At first glance it appears to be Teflon.
You can also get Delrin sheets. Teflon will work well but it is suseptable to dings and gouges from sharp objects.
I would go with a type of Delrin (don't remember the techical term at the moment ). You can get this stuff at Woodcraft, Rockler and other wood working supply places.

If you don't want to go that route and want to "build" a fence add on get some MDF and contact cement and some formica. Works decent. Also makes a nice worktop for the router table and drill press.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #5 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 03:06 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Every so often I saw into my fence...

Intentionally. Usually when I'm making rabbetts of different widths. Not when I'm using the Unifence however! So I want one that comes off easily or is easily replaced. I use a piece of hardwood jointed flat and planed both sides then bolted through the fence with 2 bolts, recessed heads. I would also recommend MDF with a laminate face. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 16 Old 02-06-2010, 03:07 PM

View daryl's Photo Album My Photos
Heres a little bit of information on plastic...
http://www.plasticworld.ca/index.asp?pid=3

I don't know what to call the stuff your referring to but someone on here will. I know we use a plastic at work the is hard, white or beige, slippery and they use it for tools and surfaces that rub together. I can never remember the name of it.
Lotta help I am
post #7 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 08:29 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I do not understand your comment that the plywood that your buddy used does not remain flat. I have found that plywood remains the most stable of any materials I could use on an auxillary fence. I have 3 setup for different purposes. Luckily I have a fence that has a T slot built in and I can easily change the auxillary fence quite easily. I have found no need for plastic laminates on the front of the fences.

George
post #8 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

The ply that he used on his miter saw is not flat. Probably the type of ply he used. I think what I'm looking for is HDPE - High-density polyethylene. It's used for plastic cutting boards.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 10:55 AM
where's my table saw?

actually...

The cheapest and most stable/flat is a couple of strips of 1/2" MDF secured with double stick carpet tape and a coat of paste wax, w/o silicone.
It will be slick enough for anything you need and if you saw into it, just peel it off and replace it. They can extend beyond the fence a few inches if you want... Personally, I wouldn't go to the expense of HDPE myself. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #10 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 11:08 PM

View WoodMark's Photo Album My Photos
UHMW....Ulta high molecular weight plastic. Its durable and slippery. Nylon is good also. It seems to be as tough or tougher than UHMW, but is not as slippery
post #11 of 16 Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 PM

View Clouseau's Photo Album My Photos
I picked up a couple of pieces of Corian at the cabinet shop last week to make TS zero clearance inserts. I see no reason Corian would not work for a fence face. I think you will still have to use a piece of baltic birch and maybe even some shims to keep it straight when you fasten to the fence. The Corian is stiffer than the white teflon.
Dan

St. Louis, MO
post #12 of 16 Old 09-27-2016, 08:25 AM

View kenthepainter's Photo Album My Photos
PVC 1x that is used for exterior house trim.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-27-2016, 09:36 AM
bzguy

View bzguy's Photo Album My Photos
Go to a solid surface counter-top shop and buy a scrap of Corian, slippery, stable, machinable, and hardest most durable material around.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-27-2016, 07:05 PM

View Al_Amantea's Photo Album My Photos
Why are y'all posting on a thread that's over 6 years old?
post #15 of 16 Old 09-27-2016, 07:48 PM
where's my table saw?

It's a common occurance .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Amantea View Post
Why are y'all posting on a thread that's over 6 years old?
Someone comes across an old thread and has something to offer. Time is irrelevant in issues like this. New materials come out and may be better than the old ones.
I use different materials on my fences depending on whether they are "sacrificial" or not. I don't think the slipperiest material on the planet makes a lot of sense for a table saw fence, but it certainly won't do any harm.

What is more important is straight, flat and secure. Height is also important and I find a low, 3/4" tall fence like on my 2 position Unifence, a great advantage for ripping narrow pieces. It makes it easier to get your push stick between the blade and the fence OR your hand and fingers if the pieces are wide enough.

This is the "low" position:

The Unifence can be used in two different heights. This is the tall orientation:

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-27-2016 at 07:52 PM.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-28-2016, 10:11 AM

View kenthepainter's Photo Album My Photos
GUILTY, I was looking for ideas for a miter saw fence because I bought an old miter saw I'm refurbishing. I came across this thread via search. I posted my idea not realizing this was an old thread !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode