Miter Gauge Questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

View Jim_677's Photo Album My Photos
Question Miter Gauge Questions

This is my first post but I've been reading the forums for a while. Lots of great advice/reviews so thanks to all the contributors.

I'm in the process of upgrading my table saw in preparation for some larger projects around the house. I've decided on the R4512 and based on what I've read, I plan on buying and after market blade and miter gauge right away. I've been looking at an incra gauge. I was considering the 1000SE or HD because I liked the idea of having a fence.

Here's my question. The R4512 on has 15" of table on the left side and the fence on these models is 18". On top of that they extend out to a max of 30". Why is it that most people cross cut on the left side? I know larger cabinet saws have equal space on both sides of the blades but there are a lot of saws out there similar to the Ridgid in that they have more rom on the right. It seems that most miter gauges with fences come setup for cutting on the left. Should I buy a gauge with no fence and just add a strip of 3\4 inch plywood to it on the right?

I'm upgrading the table saw because I'm getting ready to do built in bookcases, a fireplace mantle, and built in closets. I own a small miter saw that I've used installing crown and wainscoting in the house.

I know I could just skip the new gauge and build a crosscut sled. I'll probably build one anyway but I've been given the OK from the wife to drop some $$ on tools so I want to take advantage of it.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-21-2014, 10:33 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
lots of questions there JIm

First off, you need both a miter gauge with a fence and a sled. I finally made a sled after 30 years of tablesaw use and it's a wonderful thing.
Prior to that I mounted a 3/4" piece of hardwood 3" tall or so that extend to the left about 18" and to the right about 6" from the blade. This is essentially a "sled" without a bottom platform. It requires that you saw right into it and that's a good thing as you now know where your kerf is exactly!

I own several miter gauges and the Osborne and Incra are the most accurate:

The sled build thread:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/t...d-build-49218/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-21-2014 at 10:35 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-21-2014, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

I'd read about extending the wood fence beyond the blade to help prevent tear out and see exactly where the cut is. If you do that, that gauge would only be good for your 90 degree cuts right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 PM
where's my table saw?

Nope

You can cut the heck out of it at any angle you want, you will just end up with several kerfs in the fence and when that gets too confusing or chewed up, just replace it.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 17 Old 08-22-2014, 12:32 AM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
My miter gauges are all rusted up now. I use a big sled, little sled and a sled that can be set to any angle.

Al

post #6 of 17 Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 AM

View TerryQ's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry I'm unable to quote you because of limitations of my tablet, but you stated you thought the miter gauges like the Incra can only cut on the left is not correct. I have an Incra 1000HD and it can be used on either side, you just have to use the supplied Allen wrench to change the configuration.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-22-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Terry,

Do you feel the extra $ for the aluminum fence was worth it? Would you buy the 1000HD again or simply get the V27 and make a fence and stop yourself from hardwood?
post #8 of 17 Old 08-22-2014, 02:42 PM

View TerryQ's Photo Album My Photos
Never considered making my own fence, I waited and watched for a quality miter gauge to go on sale.
There are times I attach a sacrificial fence to the aluminum fence, but I would be concerned that over time a hardwood or melamine fence might deform so backing up a fence like that with aluminum would seem desirable anyway. I also have flip stops that I use.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-22-2014, 09:27 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryQ
Never considered making my own fence, I waited and watched for a quality miter gauge to go on sale.
There are times I attach a sacrificial fence to the aluminum fence, but I would be concerned that over time a hardwood or melamine fence might deform so backing up a fence like that with aluminum would seem desirable anyway. I also have flip stops that I use.
For me, any miter gauge won't do. The setting of the angle is just one aspect. Good for you guys the Incra can be accurate. But the fact that the wood still slides on the saw top and the shortness of the fence make it limited in what you can cut. Holding the wood all the way through and still getting an accurate cut is not really that easy.

With a sled I can cut a very small piece and an 8' long one without worry. Do you guys with after market fences use sleds?

Al

post #10 of 17 Old 08-22-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
For me, any miter gauge won't do. The setting of the angle is just one aspect. Good for you guys the Incra can be accurate. But the fact that the wood still slides on the saw top and the shortness of the fence make it limited in what you can cut. Holding the wood all the way through and still getting an accurate cut is not really that easy.

With a sled I can cut a very small piece and an 8' long one without worry. Do you guys with after market fences use sleds?

Al
Al,

Thanks for the input on the limitations. One of the biggest reasons I've been hesitant to buy a miter gauge is the fact that I already own a nice 10" Hitachi miter saw. For small trim work and styles/rails it's been great. I was hoping a good miter gauge with a fence would help me cut nice straight lines on larger stock that's too wide for the miter saw. Also, I don't have a dedicated table for it. I have one work bench that I use for either the router table or miter saw depending on what I'm doing. If either side of the stock is too long, it drops off the miter saw. I may just skip the Incra and invest the money in a cross cut sled and extensions for my miter saw.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-22-2014, 11:35 PM
where's my table saw?

hold on there....

There is a significant advantage to a sled or a miter gauge with a fence over a miter saw with full blade exposure next to your fingers especially when trimming smaller pieces.

The other advantage of a sled on the tablesaw is the blade coming into the workpiece from the rear rather than the top down on a miter saw. The teeth first entering the work are pressing the work down into the sled or the table, where the teeth that first enter the work are trying lift the work off the table on a miter or chop saw.

Small pieces are too dangerous to cut or trim on a mitersaw in my opinion.

post #12 of 17 Old 08-22-2014, 11:40 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_677

Al,

Thanks for the input on the limitations. One of the biggest reasons I've been hesitant to buy a miter gauge is the fact that I already own a nice 10" Hitachi miter saw. For small trim work and styles/rails it's been great. I was hoping a good miter gauge with a fence would help me cut nice straight lines on larger stock that's too wide for the miter saw. Also, I don't have a dedicated table for it. I have one work bench that I use for either the router table or miter saw depending on what I'm doing. If either side of the stock is too long, it drops off the miter saw. I may just skip the Incra and invest the money in a cross cut sled and extensions for my miter saw.
Build a sled for your table saw. You have no idea how much better they are until you use one.

Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-115698595.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	98894  

post #13 of 17 Old 08-23-2014, 11:27 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
i have the Incra 1000SE and like it a lot.
The micro adjust on the flip stop is great, when you need to take an extra thou or so off a piece.
If you get the incra, the addition of a couple of ratchet studs, make adjusting the fence a breeze, compared to having to use a tool.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Pirate For This Useful Post:
Joeb41 (08-23-2014)
post #14 of 17 Old 08-23-2014, 12:01 PM

View Vexorg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
i have the Incra 1000SE and like it a lot.

The micro adjust on the flip stop is great, when you need to take an extra thou or so off a piece.

If you get the incra, the addition of a couple of ratchet studs, make adjusting the fence a breeze, compared to having to use a tool.

Where did you buy your ratchet studs from?
post #15 of 17 Old 08-24-2014, 10:52 AM

I think I got the ratchet studs from Highland Hdw.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pirate For This Useful Post:
Vexorg (08-25-2014)
post #16 of 17 Old 08-25-2014, 02:03 AM

View Vexorg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I think I got the ratchet studs from Highland Hdw.
Is that the name for them, having a hard time finding some anywhere online. What are the specifications of them as well?
post #17 of 17 Old 08-25-2014, 09:12 AM

Tags
crosscut sled, incra, miter gauge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode