Minimax S31 planer information - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-16-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

View Joe-K's Photo Album My Photos
Minimax S31 planer information

Around 10 years ago, I went to the home of a elderly woodworker who had passed away and purchased a dust collector from his son. While I was there, I also bought a Minimax S31 planer which I wasn't really looking for, but looked like a very robust machine and I had always wanted a planer in my shop but never wanted to settle for a portable unit. The planer is a yellow color, stands around 36 inches tall and weights several hundred pounds.

I brought it home and have used it for the last 10 years, but I've been noticing recently that it was leaving a rougher finish and also the feed rollers seemed to be slipping as I needed to push the lumber into the planer so I decided that after 10 years it is time to take it apart, order new knives and give it a through once over. To start that task, I've searched the web and have not found any documentation on the planer at all. I haven't even found any photographs of that model number so it's turned into a mystery for me.

Internally it seems like the feed rollers are gear/chain driven and the cutter head is belt driven. Everything to runs as it should, so I'm thinking the knives are just dull and need to be replaced.

I've been searching for replacement knives, but that planer is not listed anywhere in any online catalogs. The next step was to remove one knife and measure it so I may need to get knives made unless someone knows where Minimax knives may be purchased.

If it helps, the knives measure 12-3/6 x 1-3/16 x 1/8. Those dimensions are also equal to 310mm x 30mm x 3mm.

I'm looking for a source for the same size knives, perhaps in carbide, and would be thrilled if anyone knew where I could find minimax documentation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-16-2019, 06:52 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same machine, a FS35?

I don't recall ordering spare blades, but they are a weird size for sure. These blades from Grizzly come as clsoe as any I could find in the web after a brief search, BUT you'll need to cut them to length:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...Set-of-3/G6704

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 5 Old 01-16-2019, 07:15 PM

View J.C.'s Photo Album My Photos
Where are you in Western PA? Saw Sales should be able to help you out.

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-16-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

View Joe-K's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the video. That combination unit looks to be about the same vintage as my planer.
I've found a few documents on the FS35, but nothing on the plain planer.

I agree I think I could cut off the 20" The Grizzley knives if I can't find the correct ones.

I thought I'd add a photograph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Max S31.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	370577  

post #5 of 5 Old 01-16-2019, 07:50 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Same vintage and same lower end ...

They made a jointer on top of a planer they already had tooled up, it seems to me. The lower section of mine seems identical to your planer except for the covers over the cutter head, so the blades would be the same ... I donno? I think I downloaded a PDF manual for mine a whiler back, not sure of that either, sorry.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode