4Likes
  • 1 Post By mat 60
  • 1 Post By sweensdv
  • 1 Post By Stevedore
  • 1 Post By epicfail48

post #1 of 13 Old 09-24-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

View sjm1580's Photo Album My Photos
Makita vs Dewalt Bench Planer?

I have been torn between these two planers the Dewalt DW735x and Makita 2012NB and can't seem to pull the trigger. Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these planers? Or is there another that I should be looking at for say less than a $1,000?

The only bad thing I hear about either is the Dewalt is loud, I can live with that.

As always thanks for the help!

Steve

Last edited by sjm1580; 09-24-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-24-2016, 06:03 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
Hay Steve. I have had a Dewalt for years. I think you will find that they are a great planer. I have the older model and the new one seams to be almost everyones favorite .
sjm1580 likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
If your budgets that high its not a bad idea to stretch it a little bit and move to a full-size machine:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-P...campaign=zPage

Something like that is admittedly higher than the $1k you said, but not by horribly much, and you get an extra 3 inches in width, more power, quite and generally a more sturdy build

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-24-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
If your budgets that high its not a bad idea to stretch it a little bit and move to a full-size machine:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-P...campaign=zPage

Something like that is admittedly higher than the $1k you said, but not by horribly much, and you get an extra 3 inches in width, more power, quite and generally a more sturdy build
I looked at the two Grizzly models below the model you suggested and the reviews were not the greatest. I would like the one you suggested but the price with shipping is more than I can go and I have a issue with space also.

With that said, thanks for the suggestion!

Steve
post #5 of 13 Old 09-24-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat 60 View Post
Hay Steve. I have had a Dewalt for years. I think you will find that they are a great planer. I have the older model and the new one seams to be almost everyones favorite .
Thanks

Thanks!
post #6 of 13 Old 09-24-2016, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

I have also read a few good reviews on the Contech 400200H spiral cutter planer. A little more expensive than the Dewalt but people claim a beefy well made, planer. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these?

Thanks
post #7 of 13 Old 09-25-2016, 05:04 AM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1580 View Post
I looked at the two Grizzly models below the model you suggested and the reviews were not the greatest. I would like the one you suggested but the price with shipping is more than I can go and I have a issue with space also.

With that said, thanks for the suggestion!

Steve
Ive found when it comes to grizzly tools in general, reviews arent always to be trusted. Too many people go in comparing the tool to a powermatic or jet, and come up disappointed when the griz tools dont have the same level of polish. Every grizzly machine ive used has worked perfectly fine, even if there are a few rough corners.

That said though, i only linked that particular planer as an example of what i was talking about, not to talk you into that unit in particular. I stand by my statement that you may want to look into a full-sized unit, im sure you could find a used one inside your budget

I need cheaper hobby
post #8 of 13 Old 09-25-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ive found when it comes to grizzly tools in general, reviews arent always to be trusted. Too many people go in comparing the tool to a powermatic or jet, and come up disappointed when the griz tools dont have the same level of polish. Every grizzly machine ive used has worked perfectly fine, even if there are a few rough corners.

That said though, i only linked that particular planer as an example of what i was talking about, not to talk you into that unit in particular. I stand by my statement that you may want to look into a full-sized unit, im sure you could find a used one inside your budget
There are some good looking full size units out there for sale on Craigslist and unfortunately I simply do not have the space for another full size machine. I really need to stay in the smaller realm. With that said I have been doing a bit of research and have read some really good things about cutech planers. Every review I have read says they offer a very high quality cut, very low snipe, easily adjustable. Just curious if someone here has any experience with them.

Thanks!
post #9 of 13 Old 09-25-2016, 01:37 PM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
I can't speak to the Makita but I've been more than satisfied with my DW735 for many years now. I would think that any planer is going to be noisy so noise protection is a must for whatever you decide.
sjm1580 likes this.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-25-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweensdv View Post
I can't speak to the Makita but I've been more than satisfied with my DW735 for many years now. I would think that any planer is going to be noisy so noise protection is a must for whatever you decide.
Thanks Dave!
post #11 of 13 Old 09-25-2016, 04:26 PM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
I'm happy with the DW735. I caught it on a sale from Rockler with the infeed/outfeed tables, spare blades, & stand for $699. The stand is nice; very solid & the built-in mobile base works very well.

For me, buying a bigger, more heavy-duty model would have been a problem with my limited space. I generally use my Fein shop vac for dust collection, but the DW735 has a fairly strong chip/dust blower in it, so all I do is connect a dust bag (from a Black & Decker leaf blower/vac!) to it & very few chips escape. An added plus for the DeWalt, IMO.
sjm1580 likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-25-2016, 04:41 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1580 View Post
There are some good looking full size units out there for sale on Craigslist and unfortunately I simply do not have the space for another full size machine. I really need to stay in the smaller realm. With that said I have been doing a bit of research and have read some really good things about cutech planers. Every review I have read says they offer a very high quality cut, very low snipe, easily adjustable. Just curious if someone here has any experience with them.

Thanks!
Fair enough mate. Ive heard nothing but good things about the 735, though i don't own one unfortunately. I will say though, playing around with the display models ive seen certainly give the impression that the dewalt is one of the most solidly built of the lunchbox models

Ive heard decent things about the church planers too. If memory serves cutech took over when steel city went under, at least that's what I vaguely remember hearing, and I know that there's at least one guy here who had the steel city planer and loved it. I'd wager the helical head alone would make it worth having
sjm1580 likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
post #13 of 13 Old 09-25-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Fair enough mate. Ive heard nothing but good things about the 735, though i don't own one unfortunately. I will say though, playing around with the display models ive seen certainly give the impression that the dewalt is one of the most solidly built of the lunchbox models

Ive heard decent things about the church planers too. If memory serves cutech took over when steel city went under, at least that's what I vaguely remember hearing, and I know that there's at least one guy here who had the steel city planer and loved it. I'd wager the helical head alone would make it worth having
That is what I understand as well that they are the old Steel City model, updated the cutter heads and saw that last year they ran a fall special. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they plan the same thing this year! It looks like it is down to the Dewalt 735 and the Cutech.

Last edited by sjm1580; 09-25-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode