Makita 2030 Joiner/planer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 8 Old 04-20-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

View RonBenson's Photo Album My Photos
Makita 2030 Joiner/planer

Hi all. This is my first post here, and marks my return to woodworking after about a 25 year absence.

A little background, (skip if you don't want or need the info). My Dad retired in 1980 and built a shop. He drew me into the hobby, and we worked in his shop on both separate and joint projects. We both bought tools, and we bought some tools together. We had great fun. He died in '92 and I lost access to the shop. The tools have been in storage since then in an unheated barn. There is at least some rust on almost everything, and a lot of rust on a few other things. I finally have a shop again and have moved all the tools into it. Most of my time so far has been restoring tools and making jigs. (Working on the Sears Craftsman 10" tablesaw today, and the blade stopped moving up or down when the handle is turned - but that's for another post if I can't figure that out)

Here's my question - I have the above planer, but there is rust on every unpainted surface and the feed rollers need to re recovered. I have not been able to locate much of anything on either removing the rollers, or how to disassemble the planer. And I'm not anxious to rebuild it anyway. However, I don't think I can afford to get a new planer of the same quality. So I am torn. I may just bite the bullet and fix this one, but I would consider selling it to a good home - if it is worth anything.

Comments and/or advice appreciated ~ Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-20-2019, 07:09 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBenson View Post
Hi all. This is my first post here, and marks my return to woodworking after about a 25 year absence.

A little background, (skip if you don't want or need the info). My Dad retired in 1980 and built a shop. He drew me into the hobby, and we worked in his shop on both separate and joint projects. We both bought tools, and we bought some tools together. We had great fun. He died in '92 and I lost access to the shop. The tools have been in storage since then in an unheated barn. There is at least some rust on almost everything, and a lot of rust on a few other things. I finally have a shop again and have moved all the tools into it. Most of my time so far has been restoring tools and making jigs. (Working on the Sears Craftsman 10" tablesaw today, and the blade stopped moving up or down when the handle is turned - but that's for another post if I can't figure that out)

Here's my question - I have the above planer, but there is rust on every unpainted surface and the feed rollers need to re recovered. I have not been able to locate much of anything on either removing the rollers, or how to disassemble the planer. And I'm not anxious to rebuild it anyway. However, I don't think I can afford to get a new planer of the same quality. So I am torn. I may just bite the bullet and fix this one, but I would consider selling it to a good home - if it is worth anything.

Comments and/or advice appreciated ~ Ron
It might help if you would search ebay and locate an owners manual. This would help because to refurbish the machine will take quite a bit of time and you may forget how something goes together. If you are meticulous in keeping records you might start taking it apart documenting the order in which you take it apart. Taking pictures as you go would be very good too as a reference in re-assembling it. Then when it comes time to put it back together assemble it in the opposite order it came apart. For the most part cleaning the rust off and lubricating the raw metal parts will be the job. Then when you get the feed rollers out chances are you won't be able to find replacements. There are places though you can send the rollers off and they will remove the old rubber and replace it with fresh rubber. Like I said it could be a project that might take several weeks especially if you have to send off the rollers and wait to get them back. During that time you might consider a fresh coat of paint on the painted parts. In the end it could be good as new.

Better inspect the rollers first. It appears they are available but they run about 100 bucks each. I think you would be better off putting that money toward a new machine.
RonBenson likes this.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 04-20-2019 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Add info
post #3 of 8 Old 04-21-2019, 08:48 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Ron, Maybe this will help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Makita 2030n Manual.pdf (1.80 MB, 10 views)

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-21-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It might help if you would search ebay and locate an owners manual. This would help because to refurbish the machine will take quite a bit of time and you may forget how something goes together. If you are meticulous in keeping records you might start taking it apart documenting the order in which you take it apart. Taking pictures as you go would be very good too as a reference in re-assembling it. Then when it comes time to put it back together assemble it in the opposite order it came apart. For the most part cleaning the rust off and lubricating the raw metal parts will be the job. Then when you get the feed rollers out chances are you won't be able to find replacements. There are places though you can send the rollers off and they will remove the old rubber and replace it with fresh rubber. Like I said it could be a project that might take several weeks especially if you have to send off the rollers and wait to get them back. During that time you might consider a fresh coat of paint on the painted parts. In the end it could be good as new.

Better inspect the rollers first. It appears they are available but they run about 100 bucks each. I think you would be better off putting that money toward a new machine.
Thanx Steve. I have located a manual, but it only has a parts list. Although I like taking things apart, I have not done anything with that many parts. As far as the feed rollers are concerned, they are available, but very expensive, and recovering them is over $400. Aaaand a new Dewalt planer is $500 - $600.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBenson View Post
Thanx Steve. I have located a manual, but it only has a parts list. Although I like taking things apart, I have not done anything with that many parts. As far as the feed rollers are concerned, they are available, but very expensive, and recovering them is over $400. Aaaand a new Dewalt planer is $500 - $600.
When you get into it you might discover some other problems. I was thinking as much as the rollers cost a new machine even if it's a little more might be a better option. A person really needs a jointer more than a planer. You could just remove the feed section and use it as a jointer and then you wouldn't need the rollers.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-22-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanx Gary.

Good idea Steve.

Ron
post #7 of 8 Old 04-29-2019, 05:24 PM

View ktownskier's Photo Album My Photos
Please save it!!

Ron,

I too am getting back into woodworking. I have always wanted a planer to help with my DIY work. I came across a Makita 2030 Planer/Jointer on Craigslist for $350. It was well cared for and works great except for the feed rollers. I bought it along with a Rockwell floor stand drill press.

I have researched how to re-coat the rollers. There are several places around that can do the work instead of getting new rollers. No matter how bad the rollers work. And there is a way to do it yourself. It involves using vinyl tubing and allegedly works great.

Here is a write-up on someone restoring a 2030 that is in really bad shape: https://www.lumberjocks.com/topics/38119

Here is how to re-do your own rollers:
"He told me how he fixed it and I was shocked I never thought of the solution. I took his Idea and took it up a notch and glued mine. What you need to do is go to Home Depot and buy 3ft of clear Vinyl hose. 1-1/4 ID and 1-5/8 OD while you're there see if they sell a glue called SHOE GOO. I bought my tube at Canadian tire. I cleaned the bare steel feed rollers of all the old rubber and wiped the shaft clean with Acetone. I gave a light film of glue to the steel shaft and slid the 15" long tube on while twisting to get complete coverage. I used a hose clamp at each end and lightly clamped the hose because the hose was a little warped at the ends. I let dry overnight.
Here is a video of my planer back in service."

I plan on trying the vinyl tubing first to see how that works. .I will let you now how that works.

Dan

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all efforts and never, ever speak of it again.

If you ever get hurt, do it at work and get paid for it.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-30-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanx Dave. I have not given up on the machine yet, but have not been able to remove the two screws that hold one of the rollers in place. Even if I can't fix the rollers, I can still use the joiner ~ Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode