Looking for a Tablesaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 05-12-2015, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

View woodhills's Photo Album My Photos
Looking for a Tablesaw

Hey guys! First time post here. I recently picked up woodworking and I am now looking for a Table saw. From what I have read around here most people recommend finding a used unisaw or similar. Unfortunately the used saw market around here is poor. Right now I need a saw that has wheels, 110v, and is fairly cheap. Right now I am looking at a used Craftsman contractor saw with the exact-I-rip fence which is at an auction and the Delta 36-725 from Lowes. What do you guys think is the best way to go?

Below is the craftsman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-12-2015, 01:18 PM

View Dovetails's Photo Album My Photos
My advise is to build as many projects as you can. Once you find a project you want to do but can't because of tooling, buy the best tool you can afford to finish that project.

If your hobby is building then you'll progress much faster than if your hobby is buying.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-12-2015, 01:42 PM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
I have an older craftsman table saw - at first I hated it, but with the guidance received from here it's not so bad anymore - tuned it and at least it's not cutting off as bad.

I also am in the market for a new saw, and the prices of used around here are insane - might as well hold out for a brand new one. Craigslist listings are insane as well - you'd think they were selling brand new items, not used for 20 years.

I guess all you have to do is put 'rare' or 'vintage' in front of a description and you can justify a ridiculous price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-12-2015, 03:23 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
If you bought the Delta, you would have anew saw that should last a long time. It will have the blade guard and riving knife.

The Craftsman 10 inch saws sold for about $350 back in the 70-80's. Used prices aren;t that much lower around here either.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
The older craftsman contractor saws are awesome, particularly if you upgrade the fence. I had one for several years, and it did everything I asked of it. That said, I find the delta to be the superior saw. The riving knife on the delta alone I feel justifies it over the craftsman, not to mention the fantastic fence and perfectly balanced tilt mechanism.

Again, don't get me wrong, the craftsman is a fantastic saw, I just like the delta better

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 15 Old 05-12-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

View woodhills's Photo Album My Photos
Hopefully this link works. This is the Craftsman saw

http://www.sdauctions.com/upload/big_1430653567_84.JPG
post #7 of 15 Old 05-12-2015, 05:17 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
As far as a 2nd hand Craftsman 113 saws and the newer contractor saws goes, you can find people giving them away regularly to asking $750.00 for them. In some cases there is no difference between condition. I routinely see very good condition Craftsman saws for $100.00. A little patiance and due diligence could net you a saw that was kept or spent it's life indoors, has a 1 1/2 hp motor, a couple cast extensions, was used by one owner for home projects and end up getting it for $100.00 or less. But, maybe you don't have the time or patience and the extra money don't matter. If that is the case just buy a new saw.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhills View Post

One thing about that saw is it has the 5 foot rails. "Many" of the Craftsman saw as well as the Ridgids that use that fence and rail system came with 4 foot rails. I would say that is a plus.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-12-2015, 05:45 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Whether buying a new or used TS, your concerns should be if it is within your budget, and will it do ALL that you require in its condition for your projects now and in the future. Do make certain that a used TS is in good operating & safe condition with all the original parts, and maybe some "extras". Only you can decide what "fits" for you. Be safe.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-12-2015, 06:35 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
Whether buying a new or used TS, your concerns should be if it is within your budget, and will it do ALL that you require in its condition for your projects now and in the future. Do make certain that a used TS is in good operating & safe condition with all the original parts, and maybe some "extras". Only you can decide what "fits" for you. Be safe.
That's a good point. Some of the smaller saws don't accept dado stacks. So, if cutting dadoes might be in your future, it would be a good idea to buy a saw that will do that.

With that said, most of my dadoes are made either on a router table/fence combo, or cut using an exact width dado jig. But I have use the TS in the past successfully to cut dadoes.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-12-2015, 07:08 PM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Nice saw. Looks like a One piece front fence rail, CI wings, splitter/blade guard, good fence (I have a similar OEM fence on a ridgid 2412 built by Emerson, same as the cman) and it's as accurate and reliable as the t2 I have on a 113 can. Good saw if the price is right. Good luck.

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-12-2015, 07:22 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
You're on the right track IMO. Those are both full size saws with belt drive induction motors. Both have decent fences, but I think the Delta fence is a step up. The Delta also has a true riving knife, warranty, and an inboard motor that takes up less space. The Cman has the grated cast wings, which add mass and rigidity, but can be a pain to use....if those were on my saw, I'd drop the wings down a bit, and top them with 1/8" tempered hardboard.

Either saw will be very dependent on proper setup and good blade selection. If you post your nearest city, someone here might know of a solid deal or might spot one on Craigslist.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-12-2015, 11:20 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Sorry but when first glanced at the picture I thought those were mouse traps around the base of the saw.

Anyway a starter saw and a good router and table will take care of a dado.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-13-2015, 03:35 AM

View JWalker's Photo Album My Photos
While a saw will set you back then some on the money department. remember you will want to buy some different saw blades too. I just ordered a Freud from amazon that set me back $38 for one blade.

that being said, you should decide what you want to use your saw for, I got mine for ripping. so there for I bought a dedicated quality ripping blade.

While yes a good router will handle doing dados just fine, I like to get as many task out of one tool as I can. so I would personally look for a saw that could fit a dado stack.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-13-2015, 10:42 AM

View CherryWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Talking

Depending on the saw and yes the saw that just about all original. I have a 1948 Craftsman and yes it is all original. I bought it off Craigslist for $50. I got it home and it had the original Craftsman toggle switch on the motor. It also has the Craftsman Stand, and I had 2 Cast Iron Extensions to mount on it. I wouldn't let it go for $150. Why, not because it is all original or it is a Craftsman. I love the saw and yes it is ugly right now, but when I get done with it, it will be a beauty. Some people price thing, and are not always ready to let it go. Then you have a lot of bottom feeders who try to score on things for nothing. You just have to be patient, to find what you are looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2woodwrk View Post
I have an older craftsman table saw - at first I hated it, but with the guidance received from here it's not so bad anymore - tuned it and at least it's not cutting off as bad.

I also am in the market for a new saw, and the prices of used around here are insane - might as well hold out for a brand new one. Craigslist listings are insane as well - you'd think they were selling brand new items, not used for 20 years.

I guess all you have to do is put 'rare' or 'vintage' in front of a description and you can justify a ridiculous price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode