Woodworking Talk banner

Looking to sell off my shop tools

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Tool Agnostic 
#1 ·
I'm not quite sure what prices to ask for various items.
My TS is a Craftsman aluminum slotted top with both steel wings and an Align a rip fence with blades and dado stack..(diablo) It's in good shape for what it is and does..
Rigid bandaw.. It cuts, but needs some work.
Dremel scroll saw..been modified and has a nice wooden sturdy stand..
Central Machinery drill press..ahh..never mind..cheap..Bunch of bits of various types
Rigid planer.. works fine..
4 & 6 Stanley wood planes in good shape and nice and sharp..
Bunches of chisels mostly well honed
And about 30 bar clamps various sizes mostly HF's along with a buttload of hand clamps..
Bosch sander
Makita router..small one and a HF model..
There's plenty of other items I'm just too tired to go through..
Basically I'm moving out with no possible way to move it all so instead of abandoning it all I might as well get what I can for it..
Any suggestions? It'll probably all go on CL unless there's a better venue for selling it all..

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have a Facebook account, I'd use Facebook Marketplace before CL. I hardly even bother checking CL any more. I did, recently, when I was looking for a DP. Several times daily, for a couple weeks or more. FB MP had far more decent hits than did CL. YMMV.

Can't help you with pricing. Sorry.

Reactions: Catpower
#6 ·
Basically I'm moving out with no possible way to move it all so instead of abandoning it all I might as well get what I can for it..
First - It's never good to hear when life takes us away from what we enjoy.

Second - Good God, man, don't just abandon your tools! The guy who finds them will most likely not know what they are, or the personal value they have, and they could end up in the trash heap!

Try to go local first. Saves on shipping and can be as easy as a short drive with minimal packing. Try to find a local/semi-local woodworkers group and see if you can sell, or see if you can donate them to a school's shop.

CL is ok, as long as you think smart. Can be a hassle if you're trying to get rid of the stuff quick. Don't tell people you're trying to get rid of it quick; you'll get all the scammers. People may be no-show, or show up with $100 instead of the promised $200. Document your items (with good quality photos so you can identify the pieces). Set a price and stick to it. Have them pay cash. Don't listen to sob stories. Meet in public, well-traveled areas. Don't give them the items until you have cash in hand. Be prepared to walk away from a deal.

#7 ·
start by adding your location to your name/avatar
maybe a local will see it here and take everything

i successfully sell a lot on craigslist, just keep within the craigslist messaging system
there's a lot of stupid people out there, many hang out on craigslist, be prepared to deal with them
i don't reply to any message that doesn't ask about the item in question:
'do you still have this', 'interested in your item' and 'can i come now' never get answered
'do you still have the table', interested in your table' and 'can i come look at your table' all get answered

#8 ·
I sold a lot of tools on a one day only sale out of my garage some years back. Advertised it in the news paper as a one day only sale on a Saturday. Listed my number had lots of calls and sold a bunch of stuff. It was priced 60% of retail and they got a bargin. I was not pressed to sell it but did want to move it. Had some dirt cheap offers and let them know I didn't need to sell it. Just wanted to move it. They would then come back around to my dirt cheap prices. I did draw the line at 50% of retail.

Used tools can be picked up pretty cheap in many cases so don't get your hopes up for big bucks. There are all kinds of youth type groups that do some woodworking, boyscouts, royal rangers, school programs. Make great places to pass these kinds of tools onto. I have had many tools given to us in our Royal Ranger program. Best bet is to give it to a person that is a lifer in one of these type programs. It will do the most good there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.