Woodworking Talk banner

Looking for RAS dust collection ideas.

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  mdntrdr 
#1 ·
I have an older 10” DeWalt RAS. (Not the heavy duty Commercial type) and I’ve been using it to cut a lot of dados lately. I cannot believe how much of a mess it makes when cutting dados. I have it on wheels and I take it out on the patio when I want to use it, but even that is a pain, because the wind blows it all over the place. I’m still cleaning up from cuts made two weeks ago.

Anyway, I’m almost to the point of buying a new RAS because of this problem except that it did not look to promising from the photos I saw at the Sears website.

Has anybody built a sawdust collection for a Radial Saw?

Note: I only use it to crosscut dados and If I can build one that works well, I would like to be able to keep the RAS inside the shop.:yes:

#2 ·
Does it have a dust port ? Mine does on the blade guard. I found a pvc p-trap elbow (like under your bathroom sink) fits in the hole snuggly. Then if you have dust collection hook it up from there, or just a shop vac like I use since the shop vac hose also fits the pvc pipe snuggly. The elbow turns the hose away from the guard, out of your way so you can see/work safely. Yours may be totally different than mine, just telling you what I did for a starter idea.

#4 ·
Yes, it has an oval hole in front of the guard, but I lost the elbow piece that fits on to it. I saw an air cleaner hose at aa auto parts store once that looked like it would fit right on to it.

I’m not sure how much it will pick up when I’m cutting dados. There was a huge amount of chunks behind the RAS when I was using it. It didn’t look like it would pick up too easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.