Woodworking Talk banner

Looking for quality 2 3/4” Forstner bit

Tags
drill bits
2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  FrankC 
#1 ·
I have a 2.5” diameter candle base and need to drill a hole in wood for candle to sit in.
I’m guessing 2 3/4” would be the correct size bit? Looking to have flat bottom.
I fount one made by Yonico for $48. Not a lot of info on internet with general search for this size bit. Recommendations welcome. Thank you.

#2 · (Edited)
do you want to drill just one hole ?
I would use a 3/4" bottom bit in a hand-held router
and dig it out by hand. (practice on scrap wood to get your technique down).
for multiple holes (10 or more) then I would invest in the bit.

what is the project ? how big/thick is the wood ?
if this is a wax candle, running some screws up through the bottom
would work just fine. properly fastened, nobody will ever know
if the candle is sitting in a hole or not.
(unless it is those little electric tea candles). photos would help.

#3 · (Edited)
A router with a flush trim bearing bit and template

You could, says John says, just rout the recess to a compass drawn line.... close enough!

A close second approach would be to saw a circle in a scrap that's the size you need and lay it on top of the work. The plunge down with your bearing bit riding on the inside of the template to make the recess.... start with shallow passes and gradually make it deep enough.

A third approach is to make the holder in two separate pieces... a circle cut on a bandsaw with the gap/kerf glued closed and stacked on a separate piece and glued up.

:vs_cool:

Reactions: owenpga
#4 · (Edited)
I have 2.5” tin containers that need to sit in a clean circular cutout roughly the depth of 1” container . The plan is to make many of these <10. The attached photo with holes was cut with some specialty grinding tools but took WAY to long and not as clean a circle as i would like.
Old reclaimed wood will be used. Also, any recommendations on decent but basic drill press. found a this wen 8” for $83 on amazon. if this project starts to take off i would probably invest in a better one at some
point. thoughts?

Attachments

#6 ·
How to make a 2 3/4" recess......

I have 2.5” tin containers that need to sit in a clean circular cutout roughly the depth of 1” container . The plan is to make many of these <10. The attached photo with holes was cut with some specialty grinding tools but took WAY to long and not as clean a circle as i would like.
Old reclaimed wood will be used. Also, any recommendations on decent but basic drill press. found a this wen 8” for $83 on amazon. if this project starts to take off i would probably invest in a better one at some
point. thoughts?

Those holes are pretty rough. I would like to see a photo of the tools you used for those. Maybe there's a way to improve them ... I donno?

Yes, the best way is to get a clean recess is with a Forstner bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Steelex-D102...ocphy=9016997&hvtargid=pla-435171212040&psc=1

:vs_cool:

Reactions: owenpga
#5 · (Edited)
I bought the 10" WEN D/P 6 months ago and so far, I like it.
when you get a new one, you will spend half a day cleaning
the oil and grease out of it - so plan on that little project.

oh - so you are working on a project for resale ??
I would suggest you to make a "working prototype" and run that
by the forum, if you wanted more accurate feedback.
in your original post, you said: you need to fit a 2.5” diameter candle base.
(which to me, means just one hole). then you mention a 2-3/4" hole.
that is why it would be beneficial to you to show us just one prototype
to get everyone on the same page as you.
there are so many ways to get the skin off that darned cat.

Edit:
this thread is just for the manufacturing process of your project.
if you want to discuss the market strategies, start a new thread
for the most accurate responses.
good luck in your project !!

#8 · (Edited)
I have a set of Forstner bits that go up to 3 1/4". It's been my experience that any size larger than about 2" cannot be used in a smaller drill press. I always use my Delta floor standing drill press with the 1 hp motor and move the belts for a very slow speed to get as much torque as possible. These big bits really do require a lot of power. Neither of my table top sized drill presses can turn these large bits, so I doubt that the drill press posted will do the job. Forstner bits don't leave that clean of a bottom in the holes either.

For a candle recess, I would make a router template sized for the router bit and bushing combination that would produce the hole size that I need, and use one of my routers to make the desired hole(s). The template can be attached to the work with double sided tape and re-used over and over. For that project I would make the template with all of the holes, so I could attach it once and then cut all of the holes at the same time. They will all end up exactly the same diameter and depth, and even with the same spacing, if done this way. For high production, I would probably use 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood for the template. If you will only be using it a few times, then 1/4" MDF could be used. Attach a side and end guide to the template, so it always gets positioned the same distance from the side and end of your work. You will likely want new tape for each use, but don't use too much or you may have trouble getting the template off later. Using a router with the right bit will produce a much higher quality cut and a perfectly flat bottom with no edge groove and no center tang hole.

Charley

#9 ·
If this is a production project I would look for a larger used drill press, they are out there and often no more expensive than a new smaller machine but will have the power to turn a large bit.

You mentioned drilling multiple holes, make yourself a drill press table it will make it much easier to keep the holes lined up in both axis using a fence and stops.

A Forestner bit will drill a clean hole, the small hole from the point will not be obvious if something is sitting in the hole.

#10 ·
I don't know how much research you have put into this project.
but, personally, as part of the "Older Generation", I think that this
fad of reclaimed wood has been beat to death. but, it does have its followers.
and there must be a market for it. so, if you can find your "niche" in it,
and you can make a profit, all of us here wish you the best.
but you need to find a way (and a product) to set yourself above the rest.

Wood Rectangle Hardwood Games

#11 ·
As an add-on to our online candle company, we were thinking about trying to sell carved bowls that would have cut-outs for the candles.

the photo I sent you was just the start of the project. Looking to take this bowl I made and instead of carving out the middle, I would just router out some holes for candles. https://static.wixstatic.com/media/6229e6_84e6d94114c043db8f8b5842f13f03f8~mv2.jpg

Based on the great suggestions, I think the router might be the way to go and just make a template for each type of holder I would make. Some will be single and some will be multiple holders.

no real prototype as each one will be a little different than the next due to the carving part of it. I will probably have a handful of different looking holders and will try to replicate those as close as i can.

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.