Looking to purchase my first few power tools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-10-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

View tc_firefighter311's Photo Album My Photos
Looking to purchase my first few power tools

Hello I have been lurking on the out side for awhile now. I'm looking to buy my first few power tools. I have general idea on how everything works. I have built a cedar door and a pedestal out of oak for washer and dryer. But now I'm looking for the right tools. Looking to build a closet organizer for our huge walk in closet. Then cabinets for our two bathrooms and maybe cabinets for the kitchen. But I'm still a rookie at this. I want to buy quality tools not quantity. I have a $1000 dollar budget to start off. What you you buy. I own drills and a majority of the smaller stuff. I own a craftsman 10" table saw. A good skill saw the 30x50 shop. What would you buy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-10-2015, 10:43 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
TC
It sounds like you're well on your way with a table saw.
It has been posted many times on this forum that the best advice is to choose a project and let the project guide you to what additional tools you need to complete. There is no immediate need to go load up on a bunch of tools. Buy what you need as you need it. Try to buy good quality stuff, not necessarily the most expensive. With a good table saw, one of your major purchases has been made. You can make a lot of stuff with just a TS.
Welcome to this woodworking forum.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-10-2015, 10:51 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Cabinets are a pretty advanced project if you want raised panel doors. I would buy a jointer, planer, router table, and a bunch of clamps in that order. You won't be able to get it all for $1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-11-2015, 08:30 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome here to this very friendly woodworking forum. Great advice from previous posts too! Before you jump into any project, it is best to think about what tools/material are needed to complete that project in a safe manner. IMO getting the most information about building anything requires a plan. Consider first looking for wood magazines or books that have many projects for both beginners and advanced workers. Most give info as to what tools/material are needed, tips/tricks to make the build easier, plus sometimes a workable measured plan. When you find a plan you'd like to try, this may guide you as to how/where to spend your $. Enjoy your stay, and be safe.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-11-2015, 10:16 AM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
If you're comfortable buying S4S (pre surfaced all 4 sides) lumber from a mill or home store and working with plywood, you're mainly going to be concerned with cutting, profiling and joinery. You've probably figured out by now that the table saw will be used a lot in most of your projects.

I'd personally skip the jointer and planer in your situation, at least until your budget expands. Don't worry, that happens surprisingly fast if you're anything like the rest of us here.

For making the profiles, you'll definitely need a router and table or shaper. I used a very small $100 router table from Lowes for many years, but I can tell you that when I upgraded, I feel safer and my work is more accurate. If you can bump a router table build (many plans available here and throughout the internet) or find a nice quality used one, I'd recommend it over a cheap plastic one. For the router, I'd recommend at least 2hp plunge with a 1/2" collet and adjustable speed. 2hp is small, but probably do-able for raised panel bits.

For joinery, there are lots of options. In your price range and for your projects, a few options that come to mind are biscuits, dowels, pocket screws or spline joints. Clamps will eat up more than you think out of your budget. You need good screw-type clamps (pipe clamps, bar clamps) for glue joints and maybe some squeeze clamps for assembly.

tldr:
This is what I would buy for your budget/projects:
Router $150-$200
Router bits $150
Router table materials (build your own) $250
Clamps $200
Kreg Jig (for pocket screws) $140
RO Sander $60

That covers the basic tools, but then you'll need to budget for consumables (like sand paper and hardware) on a per-project basis and materials. You also did not mention finishing, but you'll need applicators (brushes,etc) and finish.

This is my opinion and other will have valid opinions as well. There's lots of ways to accomplish a task in woodworking. A lot of it is personal preference.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-11-2015, 10:46 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Asking that question around here is kind of like asking what assets you should look for in a mistress!

Each of us will have our own ideas, to some a Kreg pocket hole jig is their "go to" tool, others would not consider owning one and look down their noses on those that do, only you really know what you need.

Take your time and build up your shop as you go, most shops don't have room for too many white elephants.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #7 of 9 Old 08-11-2015, 01:08 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Definitely think about a router table and a combo router kit. Several amnufacturers offer combo kits where you get the router motor, a fixed base and a plunge base. The motor is easy to swap out.

The fixed base is typically mounted under the router table and attached to a router insert plate.

The plunge base is used for hand held operations.

Building your own router table would be good experience. You can make just the table top or build a cabinet for it to sit on. There are lots of videos on you tube. Steve Ramsey's videos (Woodworking for Mere Mortals) come to mind. He built the table top, then the cabinet and a fence. Nothing really difficult and it is works well.

If you are looking for a router, consider the Bosch 1617 EVSPK. The nomenclature stands for Electronic Variable Speed Kit. I have two kits. They work well for me. I also have a Triton 3 1/4hp router in a table. It also works very well.

Here is a link to my adjustable height work table/dual router setup.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/a...r-table-63418/

Hope you get some ideas you can use.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-11-2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

View tc_firefighter311's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks guys. I'm going to look at a few plans and see what I need from there. I definitely want a router and table , just can't decide to build or buy.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-12-2015, 05:28 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
How far from Kansas City?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode