Looking to buy a new router.. suggstions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pineknot_86

post #1 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

View Rhaugle's Photo Album My Photos
Looking to buy a new router.. suggstions

Hey guys,
looking into buying my first router. Currently im looking at the Bosch 2.25 hp with the fixed and plunge base (1617EVSPK). I do want a fixed and plunge base set up... any suggestions for me to look into? I have heard people love these routers, and I have heard people love cheap-o routers from Harbor Freight... I dont want to go that cheap, but looking for suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 01:54 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I've never owned a Bosch router but the Bosch hand held jig saw is awesome. If the router is as good as their Saw, it will be a great tool. I've looked at the Bosch router. I like the soft start feature. 2.25 hp will give you plenty of power for hand routing.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 05:02 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
On a sister site "router forums" Bosch is the recommended brand because of quality and customer service. The 1617EVS is the most recommended model.
I was looking for a plunge base router and recently bought the Bosch MRP23EVS because of the high recommendations, that, and because CPOoutlets.com is currently offering $50 off many Bosch items priced over $200, including the kit you are looking at.

Enjoy yourself, life is short
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 07:20 PM

View Big70Tom's Photo Album My Photos
The Triton Router has been growing more popular. It has a tone of functions and works amazinglky easy on a router table. Very good router.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 Old 06-19-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

View Rhaugle's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone have any input on the Hitachi routers? They have one that is the same specs as the bosch, about $50 cheaper.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-19-2017, 12:51 PM

View nxtgeneration's Photo Album My Photos
I have the 1617evs and plan to get another one as I switch from table mount to free hand quite often. I have no complaints at all about it but I also have only ever used Bosch routers so I don't have much to compare too. I had originally purchased a hitachi that had similar specs (likely the same one you are looking at), but I returned it before I used it and purchased the Bosch. I honestly don't remember what my reasoning was for exchanging them but I do remember there was some sticking point that made me switch over to the Bosch.

Timber & Ash Designs, LLC
--> TimberAndAshDesigns.com <--
post #7 of 13 Old 06-19-2017, 01:57 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaugle View Post
Anyone have any input on the Hitachi routers? They have one that is the same specs as the bosch, about $50 cheaper.

I have had excellent results with Makita. Have you looked at any Makita?
I've heard mixed reviews on Hitachi but never owned a Hitachi router.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #8 of 13 Old 06-22-2017, 05:54 PM

View HampdenWoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Makita & Porter Cable.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-22-2017, 06:11 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Other than amperage consumption and weight, the specs really aren't going to tell you much.

I do have a Hitachi that I'm actually pretty fond of....it's not as robustly made as the Milwaukees, Bosch, Makita, etc, but's it's a good router. I like that it's light, well balanced, quiet, precise enough, and has variable speed. My Milwaukee is undoubtedly a better router, but is heavier, louder, and costs more. If this is for hand use, get one that feels good to you. If it's for table use, be sure it has ample power (> 10 amps), and has variable speed. Also, be sure it'll accept 1/2" shanks, and buy good quality 1/2" shank bits whenever feasible.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-22-2017, 06:19 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Bosch makes great tools

Quote:
Hey guys,
looking into buying my first router. Currently im looking at the Bosch 2.25 hp with the fixed and plunge base (1617EVSPK). I do want a fixed and plunge base set up... any suggestions for me to look into? I have heard people love these routers, and I have heard people love cheap-o routers from Harbor Freight... I dont want to go that cheap, but looking for suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
I've never owned a Bosch router but the Bosch hand held jig saw is awesome. If the router is as good as their Saw, it will be a great tool. I've looked at the Bosch router. I like the soft start feature. 2.25 hp will give you plenty of power for hand routing.
First, you'll never have just one router! After 45 years of woodworking, I think I have about 10 routers, but I'm not sure, it could be more!

While I do not own a Bosch router, I have their job site 10 table saw 4100-09 and a Bosch jig/saber saw, both are really well made and have given me NO issues. The kit you referenced would be a great place to start out. You can go bigger if you need to make large raised panels., but 2.25 Hp is plenty of power. You can go smaller and get the Bosch Colt OR a Dewalt 1 1/4 Hp trim router, which I like.

Understand that the plunge base is for starting in the middle part of a board, like making a mortise. The plunge base raises the router bit up under spring pressure which you can not disable... easily.

The fixed base is good for trimming the outer edges OR mounting under a table. For an under table mount, look for a base that can be adjusted for height from ABOVE the table using a wrench. This is a very important and useful feature. It will almost replace a router lift which will save you some money, short term.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-22-2017 at 06:25 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-04-2017, 06:59 PM

View Dan3103's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Bosch 1617EVSPK router and it works very well.

However, I often wish that I would have opted for the more expensive Bosch MRC23EVSK. I really like having a light on the router, and having the trigger in the handle seems a LOT safer to me when using the router when it's not in the table. The 1617 doesn't offer either, and the MRC23 does boh. I have a couple of Craftsman routers that have both triggers in the handles and lights and when I have to route by hand, they are what I go to. The 1617 stays in my table unless I need to plunge.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-04-2017, 08:29 PM

View canarywood1's Photo Album My Photos
I've had a Hitachi 3 1/4 horse in my router table for 30 years now, and it's still going strong, here's a link.

https://bigskytool.com/tools/corded-tools-routers.html
post #13 of 13 Old 07-05-2017, 03:18 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
If I had the $$$, I would buy the Bosch combo in a minute. I worked for an industrial supply company. Our distribution center did tool repair. The repair supervisor wouldn't endorse any particular brand when asked about quality or the best. But......he did say that they saw very few Bosch power tools for repair.
Toolman50 likes this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode