*******Looking to buy a NEW LATHE******* - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Dave McCann
  • 1 Post By sanchez
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-29-2020, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Derl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canton, TX
Posts: 18
View Derl's Photo Album My Photos
Question *******Looking to buy a NEW LATHE*******

I'm looking to buy a new lathe. So far I'm considering RIKON Midi Lathe Model 70-220VSR This machine is powered by a 1HP variable-speed motor that offers 12-1/2" swing over the bed.
Does anyone know any pros or cons about this machine?
Or maybe you could recommend a lathe of about this size. I would like to learn how to turn small bowls and some other things.
Thanks in Advance,

Derl
Derl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 06-29-2020, 07:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 47
View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derl View Post
I'm looking to buy a new lathe. So far I'm considering RIKON Midi Lathe Model 70-220VSR This machine is powered by a 1HP variable-speed motor that offers 12-1/2" swing over the bed.
Does anyone know any pros or cons about this machine?
Or maybe you could recommend a lathe of about this size. I would like to learn how to turn small bowls and some other things.
Thanks in Advance,

Should be a good lathe for you. I just purchased a new lathe myself. I went with a Grizzly https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...od-Lathe/G0844

Almost identical to your choice except the Grizzly gives you just a bit more swing at 14 inches. So far I'm happy with it but I have only completed one bowl so far. The rough log started at 13.5 inches long. Ash bowl came out about 11 inch diameter and 5.5 inches deep.

I suspect either the Rikon or the Grizzly would serve you well for what you say you want to do. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOWL-015-D.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	391691  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BOWL-015-E.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	391693  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BOWL-015-C.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	391695  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BOWL-015-A.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	391697  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BOWL-015-B.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	391699  

Derl and subroc like this.
Dave McCann is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 06-30-2020, 12:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: milwaukee, wi
Posts: 1,330
View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
I've had the Rikon for about two years. I bought the extension and the factory stand.

It works great for me. I've made some bowls, but my main focus has been to make spindles for a bedroom set. I turned 40" long, 3" blanks on it.

I'm assuming you know the lathe is just the beginning? Chucks, gouges, grinders, all add up quickly!
Derl likes this.
sanchez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 Old 06-30-2020, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
_Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Motown
Posts: 653
View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
nice bowl dave!

*******Looking to buy a NEW LATHE*******-bowl-015-c.jpg
_Ogre is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to _Ogre For This Useful Post:
Dave McCann (06-30-2020)
post #5 of 6 Old 06-30-2020, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Derl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canton, TX
Posts: 18
View Derl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McCann View Post
Should be a good lathe for you. I just purchased a new lathe myself. I went with a Grizzly https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...od-Lathe/G0844

Almost identical to your choice except the Grizzly gives you just a bit more swing at 14 inches. So far I'm happy with it but I have only completed one bowl so far. The rough log started at 13.5 inches long. Ash bowl came out about 11 inch diameter and 5.5 inches deep.

I suspect either the Rikon or the Grizzly would serve you well for what you say you want to do. Good luck
Wow Dave, that is a really nice bowl. I looked at the Grizzly that you mentioned. I really like that too. I've got a Grizzly 17" bandsaw and I sure do like it. Thanks for your input.

Derl
Derl is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 06-30-2020, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Derl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canton, TX
Posts: 18
View Derl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
I've had the Rikon for about two years. I bought the extension and the factory stand.

It works great for me. I've made some bowls, but my main focus has been to make spindles for a bedroom set. I turned 40" long, 3" blanks on it.

I'm assuming you know the lathe is just the beginning? Chucks, gouges, grinders, all add up quickly!
Thanks sanchez, for your input. But I've been a machinist for about 40 years, so yeah, chucks, gouges and grinders, all that does add up. Sometimes quicker than we want it to.

Derl
Derl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome