Left tilt or regular? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 04-26-2008, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

View arthur dent's Photo Album My Photos
Left tilt or regular?

Hi- I'm a relative newbie woodworker and am looking to replace my current table saw with a new one. I see left tilt saws advertised and am wondering what advantage a left tilit saw would have over a regular saw. Can anyone fill me in on the pros and cons?
Regards,
AD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Suz

View Suz's Photo Album My Photos
I'll warn you right now that you will be bombarded with people saying that a left tilt is the "regular" saw and not the right tilt. Plus lets make sure you are not confused on which direction the blade tilts. (Many people are!) A good fast way to tell is if the tilt crank is on the left side of the saw it is a right tilt saw, if the crank is on the right then the saw is a left tilt.
Having said that the biggest reason that they will say a left tilt is better is it being safer to make bevel rip cuts. With a right tilt saw (the blade tilts towards the fence) there is a danger of kickback from trapping the wood between the blade and fence. Whereas with a left tilt saw the wood falls away from the blade and will not kick back at you.
But, because most of the cuts are made with the blade at 90 degrees and the fence can be put on the left side of the blade that factor doesn't enter into the picture as much.
One advantage of a right tilt saw is that no matter what thickness blade you mount on the saw the fence guide will always be accurate because it is measured off the right side of the blade.
A minor point is that the arbor nut turns in opposite directions on the two saws.
IMHO I would advise you getting a new saw that tilts in the same direction as the one you have now.

BTW, I've got a right tilt saw with a slider on the left side.

Jim
post #3 of 19 Old 04-26-2008, 10:58 AM

View daryl in nanoose's Photo Album My Photos
These are left and right tilt saws
I have used both, right tilt in my shop and left tilt on the jobsite, I much perfer the right, rarely do I need a left tilt. My jobsite saws have been left tilt and find them awkward even though I got used to it but now with my new jobsite saw it is right. I think it boils down to what you have used mostly and the more comfotable you are the safer it is to use it.
when I do want to bevel on the left I do not ever remember the stock being more than what I have on the left hand side of the blade.
My 2 cents worth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lefttilt.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	3204  

Click image for larger version

Name:	righttilt.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	3205  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
Suz: HMMMMMMMM I also have right tilt contractor with slider on left LOL LOL Mine is Jessem what make is your slider?
Wuz u peekin in my shop? LOL LOL Oh Yeah my sister is Suz!
post #5 of 19 Old 04-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
ALl good advice so far. let me try and change that.

My old Oliver is a right tilt and my wife's new Hitachi is left. I like and am confortable with both. More on that in a minute. Which is more common? We market a product to woodworkers that requires us to know which direction of tilt their table saw is. From our records, I can assure you with good accuracy the average is a hair over 3 out of 10 saws being right tilt. So nearly 70% of the tables saws currently in shops aorund the country are left tilt. So? So what. that's what I say.

Keep in mind this includes saws recently purchased by woodworkers and saws that are many years old, so this is in no way a reflection of the ratios being offered by manufacturers and available today, which would be a reflection of what they percieve as "most wanted". I don't know what that is.

All that doesn't help you decide, but history usually has a reason and IMO this is no exception. For someone starting out, most good saws today have fences that will work on both sides of the blade, and miter slots on both sides as well. This is a characteristic i would really want if I were you. Are you heavily dominant with one hand over the other? Are you somewhat adept with your "weak" hand? Not at all? Let's dig into this a bit since it hardly ever gets discussed in detail.

I used to think I was ambidextrous but have recently been told by my doctor when the topic came up (discussing my rotator cuff surgery) that my ability is known as "cross-dominace" or "mixed-handedness". When he said "You aren't ambidextrous in the true sense, you are what is referred to as cross-dominant . . " I assured him I wasn't into that sort of thing and was 100% heterosexual.

Anyway stay with me I am going to make a point one day and this might be the time. this is often overlooked, or at least under-appreciated when choosing table saws IMO. What it means is a person cannot do everything 100% equally well with either hand like somone with 100% equal dexterity can, but does certain things better in one hand than the other, often with inexplicable reasoning, although the abilities may be close or far apart to some degree, either way.

I am a good exapmle so I'll use me. I can saw (hand or powered), hammer, throw, punch, cast, shoot (guns and basketball), and split wood, virtually equally from one side to the next. Writing with my left is only about 80% as good with my left as my right, but in the batting cage I swing a better bat as a lefty than as a righty. I throw a football better as a righty but still pretty well with the left (better lately since the rotator pain). I am no knife-throwing champion but pretty good - and you'd think since I throw a baseball and football better righty, that I could throw a knife better as a righty too but no, I can throw a consistent 3 turn stick with my left but only 2 with my right and it isn't consistent.

i wonder how all this translates into the woodshop. it don't really, I am just typing too much. But what I am about to say now isn't usually discussed much when this topic comes up of choosing a table saw, so here goes Kevin's Rules of Selecting Table Saw Blade Orientation Based on Operator Handedness Concerning Dominance and Economy of Motion:

Preface: In general this only applies to someone not already used to one orientation over the other.
Caveat: This is only my opinion.
Caution: I don't know everything.
Disclaimer: Nor am I under the illusion that I know everything.
Warning: This is a general statement and is only my opinion because I don't know everything and don't think that I do.
Summary: Please re-read the above Preface, Caveat, Caution, Disclaimer, and Warning.
Oath: I vouch that I have fullfilled the directive of the above Summary.

Kevin's Rules of Selecting Table Saw Blade Orientation Based on Operator Handedness Concerning Dominance and Economy of Motion:

Rule Alpha: A person who is heavily dominant with the use of his right hand is going to be more comfortable, and safer, using a left tilt saw.

Rule Bravo: A person who is heavily dominant with the use of his left hand is going to be more comfortable, and safer, using a right tilt saw.

Rule Charlie: You can't rule Charlie he is so damned independent and bucks authority at every opportunity so ignore him.

Rule Delta: A person who is ambidextrous or cross-dominant can use either blade orientation and be equally comfortable, or close to it.

Rule Echo: None of the above rules apply to everyone in every situation, no matter the prescence or lack thereof in relation to hand dominance or degree of dexterity.

Rule Foxtrot: If you are already used to your current saws blade orientation, the best advice you have gotten so far is from Suz who said . . . .
"IMHO I would advise you getting a new saw that tilts in the same direction as the one you have now."
Rule Golf: Think about it over at least 9 holes with your buddies before you decide.

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 04-26-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Forgot a rule.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Suz

View Suz's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Suz: HMMMMMMMM I also have right tilt contractor with slider on left LOL LOL Mine is Jessem what make is your slider?
Wuz u peekin in my shop? LOL LOL Oh Yeah my sister is Suz!
Nope, no relation to the saw nor your sister. ( I can count all my known relation on one hand and none live in NJ.)
My saw is a right tilt 1023 Grizzly with the slider attachment.
A little footnote: Because of the slider mounting bar on the left side of my saw I cannot move my fence on the left side to make any bevel cuts. The left part of the fence "T" hits this bar.

Jim
post #7 of 19 Old 04-26-2008, 03:51 PM

View niki's Photo Album My Photos
Not to repeat....please have a look at this post...with pictures...
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2970

Texas Timbers
I don't know if I'm "Left" or "Right" handed but personally, I prefer a table saw with the rip fence at the left of the blade...but they don't make them...

Regards
niki
post #8 of 19 Old 04-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki View Post
Texas Timbers
I don't know if I'm "Left" or "Right" handed but personally, I prefer a table saw with the rip fence at the left of the blade...but they don't make them...

Regards
niki
Then you need to deal a different "They".

Left tilt or regular?-hitachitablesaw.jpg
post #9 of 19 Old 04-26-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

View arthur dent's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you all for the info. As a very right hand dominant individual, I think I'll probably opt for the left tilting saw.
Thanks again,
AD
post #10 of 19 Old 04-26-2008, 05:09 PM

View niki's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
Then you need to deal a different "They".

Attachment 3210
Well, you "booked me" but being from Europe I'm excused - don't I .

I don't know the TS on your pic but, usually they make them with the smaller space on the left for the sliding table....not to mention the Felder and alike that don't have "left of the blade" at all...

BTW, Beautiful TS you have there...on the "title", it's written Hitachi ???

Edit: Yeap, I found it...Hitachi C10FL....$500...If you guys are lucky in the USA...It would cost at list double here...

Regards
niki

Last edited by niki; 04-26-2008 at 05:18 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-26-2008, 05:19 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Arthur - There are pros and cons to each, and it really boils down to your preference. I've owned both and prefer left tilt...primarily because I'm right handed, and the arbor nut goes on with my right hand and uses a normal thread orientation. Right tilt saws use reverse threads for the arbor nut and it gets put on from the left.....a minor thing to some, but it did bug me a bit. The advantages of bevel cuts with a left tilt are fairly minor IMO, as are the disadvantages of different blade thicknesses skewing the reference tape....there are easy workarounds for those issues with both type saw.

I'd buy the saw you like, and use the tilt direction as a tie breaker if you have a preference.

Last edited by knotscott; 04-26-2008 at 05:23 PM.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
Rule Alpha:Rule Bravo:Rule Charlie:Rule Delta:Rule Echo:Rule Foxtrot:Rule Golf:
Alpha Michael Foxtrot!

regards,
smitty
post #13 of 19 Old 04-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
Suz; I use the slider to bevel or miter. Right tilt, left slider gives same as a left tilt no slider. You may be able to do that also,
post #14 of 19 Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Forgotten but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1967 View Post
Alpha Michael Foxtrot!
Ain't goin nowhere. AFAIK . . . . .
post #15 of 19 Old 04-28-2008, 12:24 AM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
Left tilt or regular?

You can't allways judge which side the blade is going to tilt by looking at which side of the cabinet that the hand wheel is for the tilt, aparently the Delta Unisaw is oposite of the Delta Contractors, my Delta 34-445X Contractors is a right tilt and the hand wheel for the tilt is on the right side.

Last edited by user4178; 04-28-2008 at 12:34 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Forgotten but not gone

I knew that was the case as well woodchuck since my Oliver is right tilt and the hand crank is also on the right but figured I'd let it pass.

Since you bring it up might as well throw out the other exceptions one of which is some saws have both cranks on the front.
post #17 of 19 Old 04-28-2008, 10:21 AM

View daryl in nanoose's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck1957 View Post
You can't allways judge which side the blade is going to tilt by looking at which side of the cabinet that the hand wheel is for the tilt, aparently the Delta Unisaw is oposite of the Delta Contractors, my Delta 34-445X Contractors is a right tilt and the hand wheel for the tilt is on the right side.
I knew that was the case as well woodchuck since my Oliver is right tilt and the hand crank is also on the right but figured I'd let it pass.

Both my ex contractor and new cabinet saw are on the right side for right tilt
post #18 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 10:19 PM

View johnjf0622's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to johnjf0622
The tablesaw we had in High school shop was a Oliver. The fence was a beast but that thing was dead on. That was a great saw. But it looks like Oliver has changed the way they make thier saws now. I know the saw in shop was an old one. So unless there is a different company going by the Oliver name now, I was disapointed to see they weren't the same as the one in school shop.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Ozark Hillbilly

View Terry Beeson's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Terry Beeson
Yankee Doodle Floppy Disk, this is Foxtrot Zulu Milkshake. Should I be getting a left handed right tilt or a right handed left tilt saw?

Roger that, Foxtrot Zulu Milkshake, you should be getting a right handed righty tighty tilt saw with a lefty loosey handed fence.

Alpha Velveeta Knuckle Underwear, you are cleared for crosscut ripping of target two-by!

Uh, Sphincter Mucus Niner Ringworm, roger!

(I've been watching too much Hot Shots... )

I cut that board three times and it's STILL too short!!!...
http://www.geocities.com/capt9992002

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode