Left hand circular saw - Myth ?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 26 Old 07-30-2010, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

View steptoey's Photo Album My Photos
Left hand circular saw - Myth ??

Hi

I'm just about to start building my seond boat and they saw use a circular saw to cut the plywood, I attempted this on the last boat and it got ugly. I have some long curves to cut but last time it was awful. Apprently I need a left hand saw, is it true, do they sell left hand circular saws. I understand why they say left hand as a right hander can see the line better ???

Has anyone seen a left hander.

Cheers

grant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-30-2010, 04:36 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yup

I have one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-345-Boss-6-Inch-Circular/dp/B00002269CThe blade is on the "left" side of the motor, but that doesn't mean that you can only use it left handed. It's easier for a righty to see the cut line. Most worm drive or framing saws have the blade on the left side like this:
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 26 Old 07-30-2010, 05:01 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
It is easier for a right hand operator to see the line with a blade on the left saw. Likewise, it's easier for a left handed operator to see the line with the blade on the right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 PM

View loneframer's Photo Album My Photos
I'm left handed and for me, there's no saw I'd rather use than a worm drive, or at least a blade left saw. Especially when it's necessary to tilt the shoe on a bevel. When cutting a bevel, it's much easier for me to support the work with my right hand and cut with the left with a blade left saw. The cut line is very easy to see in this situation.

Opinions do vary, but I don't like blade right saws. They have there place when hand cutting complicated roofs, but I hate the fact that the sawdust chute fills up my nail bags during the cut.
post #5 of 26 Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
I've never owned a right blade saw. Don't think I could use one, now.
But that beast I use, Skil Worm Drive, is one heavy dude! Don't know how you framers wield one all day long.
post #6 of 26 Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
But that beast I use, Skil Worm Drive, is one heavy dude! Don't know how you framers wield one all day long.
Yep, worm drive is the only way to go.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #7 of 26 Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 PM
where's my table saw?

The only way for certain things rich

This is my favorite left hand/blade saw...I own 3 of them, one's new in the box for when the others crap out.

DeWALT DW936K Heavy-Duty 5-3/8" (136mm) 18V Cordless Trim Saw Kit

Tool Class: Power Tools, Cordless Power Tools - Tool Type: Saws, Wrenches, Knives and Blades

DeWalt DW936K Heavy-Duty 5-3/8" (136mm) 18V Cordless Trim Saw Kit Lightweight & compact design allows for use in confined work areas 5-3/8" (136mm) blade can cut a 2x4 in one pass 50 degree bevel provides additional

bill
BYW I have 2 worm drives saws, an 8 1/4" Skill, 3- 6"ers and 2 PC
7 1/4's and a few others. If there were only "one way to go" I wouldn't have needed so many??

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 26 Old 07-31-2010, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Cheers Guys

I understand now and know what to get, thanks for the info.

Cheers
post #9 of 26 Old 07-31-2010, 01:52 PM

View loneframer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
25 years and counting. Actually own 4 of them, in varying stages of decay. All still in working order though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	16048  

post #10 of 26 Old 07-31-2010, 06:51 PM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
I own 5 circular saws and 3 are left sided and 2 are right sided. Its great having the ability to have saws that bevel to the left and right.
post #11 of 26 Old 08-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Always Learning

View bofa's Photo Album My Photos
For those using the battery powered lefty saws, how far will they get you on a single charge?
post #12 of 26 Old 08-08-2010, 06:28 PM
where's my table saw?

It varies with what you cut

But a fully charged 18 V battery will cut a surprising amount of 1 x's or Cedar siding. The secret is to keep buying the saws and drills on sale for only slightly more than a dual battery pack alone. They usually come with a charger and 2 batteries...so far I've got about a dozen batteries..... so I always have a few charged up, but that's just me. The new chargers are quick charge so you won't have to wait that long. The convenience is well worth it. My construction and building days are fewer these days so the stationary tools get more use. bill

post #13 of 26 Old 08-09-2010, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

I agree, spare batteries are a must. The price nowadays on power tools is excellent, all the cheap brands has greatly reduced the price of brand names which I believe is about time. I myself tend to go for the mid range stuff, I don't do enough to get the top shelf item and I refuse t use the generic stuff.

It sure is a throw away society.

cheers
post #14 of 26 Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 PM

View WinM70's Photo Album My Photos
I own a Skill worm drive Mag 77 model that is 2 lbs lighter than the original worm drive but still a hefty beast, love it. I also own a PC 423 Mag which is also a left hand saw and magnezium so lighter in weight, this saw has a dust collection port that you can attach a vaccum etc to or just angle it to send the dust flying away from your project. Both great saws
post #15 of 26 Old 04-23-2017, 11:52 AM

View Gunzupm60's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I've been a framing contractor during my entire career and NEVER would I suggest the idea of using a left handed worm drive. I've always used commercial grade circular saws with the guide table on the left, as is the motor. During the cut, the guide table rests on the finis work while the waste falls free to the floor. However, since the advent of battery powered circular saws, ALL manufacturers are for lefties. Where on earth and why is this so? Fortunately I am ambidextrous and cutting with my left hand is not an issue. But where did this idea begin to change from right hand to left hand saws? Building a better mouse trap can be a pain.
post #16 of 26 Old 04-23-2017, 12:09 PM
where's my table saw?

battery powered saws are either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzupm60 View Post
I've been a framing contractor during my entire career and NEVER would I suggest the idea of using a left handed worm drive. I've always used commercial grade circular saws with the guide table on the left, as is the motor. During the cut, the guide table rests on the finis work while the waste falls free to the floor. However, since the advent of battery powered circular saws, ALL manufacturers are for lefties. Where on earth and why is this so? Fortunately I am ambidextrous and cutting with my left hand is not an issue. But where did this idea begin to change from right hand to left hand saws? Building a better mouse trap can be a pain.
I own Rigid, Dewalt and Milwaukee 18 V battery saw and they are either right blade/motor or left blade/motor:

Some manufactures offer both side configurations.

Worm drive saws all seem to be Right blade motor which makes no sense to me being right handed this puts the weight of saw on the off fall, since I hold the work down with my left hand. I was never a framer, but I used PC 314 sidewinders when I had to do construction on the house.

Porter Cable came either right or left:

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-23-2017 at 12:46 PM.
post #17 of 26 Old 04-23-2017, 12:10 PM

View Gunzupm60's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by steptoey View Post
Hi

I'm just about to start building my seond boat and they saw use a circular saw to cut the plywood, I attempted this on the last boat and it got ugly. I have some long curves to cut but last time it was awful. Apprently I need a left hand saw, is it true, do they sell left hand circular saws. I understand why they say left hand as a right hander can see the line better ???

Has anyone seen a left hander.

Cheers

grant

saillboatplansinc.com
Left handed circular saws only are available only when purchasing a worm drive, or battery operated. Why anyone other than a lefty would support this idea is beyond me. I recently purchased a battery operated 6 1/2' DEWALT circular saw only to find out it was a lefty. I hate the idea of the guide table of the saw is on the right. The right side being the waste part and when you come to the end of your cut, it breaks off on the finish end because the full weight of your saw rests ON the waste part. I hope this hasn't sounded confusing.
woodnthings likes this.

gunzup[/gunzupMENTION]
post #18 of 26 Old 04-23-2017, 01:02 PM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzupm60 View Post
Left handed circular saws only are available only when purchasing a worm drive, or battery operated. Why anyone other than a lefty would support this idea is beyond me. I recently purchased a battery operated 6 1/2' DEWALT circular saw only to find out it was a lefty. I hate the idea of the guide table of the saw is on the right. The right side being the waste part and when you come to the end of your cut, it breaks off on the finish end because the full weight of your saw rests ON the waste part. I hope this hasn't sounded confusing.
Not so.
I'm left handed and always used right handed saws till a couple of years ago. My wife bought me a left handed Porter-Cable circular saw. Must admit though it took a while to get used to the left-hand version.
Cheers
post #19 of 26 Old 04-23-2017, 01:46 PM
where's my table saw?

Maybe it's just me but ...

I don't get the use of the term ".... handed saws. The saw doenn't know or care which hand you are using to operated it. A more clear designation is left blade/motor or right blade/motor. That way there is no confusuion.

As a "righty" using a right bladed saw, the weight of the saw is on the off fall, not good. If I use a left bladed saw, the weight of the saw/motor is on the workpiece, which IS good. HOWEVER, a "righty" using a left blades saw means you have to look over top of the motor to see the guide mark for your cut line which is awkward or impossible. So, back to a right bladed saw for ease of visibilty. .... it just ain't fair. So, just use the table saw.

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-23-2017 at 03:21 PM.
post #20 of 26 Old 04-23-2017, 02:54 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Building stairs you need both right and left saws, there is no way to cut a skirt that members with the riser on an open side stairs without a right or left bladed saw, depending on which side you are cutting. I take that back, there is a way to use a saw which is the wrong sided blade to cut the miter on a skirt that members with the risers, BUT it is very dangerous as you have to back the saw in which is an all out NO NO.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.

Tags
boat building, plywood, sailboat plans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode