Lathe Questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By hawkeye10
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By difalkner
  • 2 Post By Catpower
  • 1 Post By Kerrys
  • 1 Post By sanchez
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 2 Post By Kerrys
  • 1 Post By Kerrys
  • 1 Post By sanchez
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-23-2018, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Rick Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 23
View Rick Ferris's Photo Album My Photos
Lathe Questions

Looking to the experts for good advice.

It appears I have sold my CNC Router. It was great fun and a small learning curve but I found myself standing and watching it run after setup.

I've decided on a new path. I already have a great deal of woodworking machines but with the money I plan to enhance my shop.

I've always wanted a lathe. Used one in high school and made some terrific stuff.

My budget is around $1000. I know I need tools and safety apparatus. I want to make bowls, candlesticks, among other things. I know I could get more bang for my buck buying used but so far I'm not finding anything local.

I would appreciate recommendations if I end up buying new!!!

Thanks
Rick

Learn to not sweat the small stuff and life is much easier
Rick Ferris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 03-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Senior Member
 
hawkeye10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Posts: 1,187
View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ferris View Post
Looking to the experts for good advice.

It appears I have sold my CNC Router. It was great fun and a small learning curve but I found myself standing and watching it run after setup.

I've decided on a new path. I already have a great deal of woodworking machines but with the money I plan to enhance my shop.

I've always wanted a lathe. Used one in high school and made some terrific stuff.

My budget is around $1000. I know I need tools and safety apparatus. I want to make bowls, candlesticks, among other things. I know I could get more bang for my buck buying used but so far I'm not finding anything local.

I would appreciate recommendations if I end up buying new!!!

Thanks
Rick
Rick I have found that finding good used tools at a fair price takes time. If you hate waiting like I do new is the way to go. I have been looking on Craigs List for a drum sander like I want for two years.
Rick Ferris likes this.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
hawkeye10 is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 03-23-2018, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,995
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me I would look for an old antique lathe especially a commercial lathe. They are more likely to be heavy and the weight alone helps a lot in preventing vibration.
Rick Ferris likes this.
Steve Neul is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 03-23-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Rick Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 23
View Rick Ferris's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If it were me I would look for an old antique lathe especially a commercial lathe. They are more likely to be heavy and the weight alone helps a lot in preventing vibration.
Would definitely entertain one. I may up my original budget to $1500.

Learn to not sweat the small stuff and life is much easier
Rick Ferris is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 03-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Wood machinist
 
difalkner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NW Louisiana
Posts: 4,429
View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
You're now in the range for my 1948 Oliver, Model 159-A. It's a little over 8' between centers and about 10' long overall, weighs between 800 and 1,000 pounds. No vibration. But it's a long way from Ohio...

David
Rick Ferris likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
difalkner is online now  
post #6 of 19 Old 03-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Catpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Frognot Texas
Posts: 2,267
View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ferris View Post
Would definitely entertain one. I may up my original budget to $1500.
This is over you raised budget, but I got one a couple years ago and it is a damn nice machine, I have turned 18 inch bowls with it and it was smooth running all the time. The only down side is the tool post is metric and just a tad under 1", but a drill bit cures that

Bob Willing and Rick Ferris like this.

There is no app for experience
Catpower is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Kerrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NW Washington State
Posts: 813
View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
I purchased this one about 6 months ago.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood...-Readout/G0462
I had some specs I needed to stay with. No 220 in the shop so I needed something that ran on 110. I wanted the large motor and a floor model. The Grizzly fit my needs. It works well but there are a couple of things I donít like which only became apparent after using the lathe for awhile. The slowest speed is about 650 rpm. They say this in the documentation but I am new to turning and didnít realize how much slower speeds would be nice to have. Not a real big deal. The tool rest hole is an odd size. Fixable but means more work and expense. The banjo is cumbersome to adjust and the tail stock is a little cumbersome also. Beyond these minor annoyances the lathe works perfectly and is worth the money.
Rick Ferris likes this.
Kerrys is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 03-24-2018, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Catpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Frognot Texas
Posts: 2,267
View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrys View Post
I purchased this one about 6 months ago.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood...-Readout/G0462
I had some specs I needed to stay with. No 220 in the shop so I needed something that ran on 110. I wanted the large motor and a floor model. The Grizzly fit my needs. It works well but there are a couple of things I donít like which only became apparent after using the lathe for awhile. The slowest speed is about 650 rpm. They say this in the documentation but I am new to turning and didnít realize how much slower speeds would be nice to have. Not a real big deal. The tool rest hole is an odd size. Fixable but means more work and expense. The banjo is cumbersome to adjust and the tail stock is a little cumbersome also. Beyond these minor annoyances the lathe works perfectly and is worth the money.

That is a nice looking lathe for the money, and I think you can get the duplicator for that one, but not for mine

There is no app for experience
Catpower is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 03-26-2018, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Rick Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 23
View Rick Ferris's Photo Album My Photos
Updated! Thinking on how long its been since I did any lathe work I did a bit more research and decided to start a little smaller until I determine how much I will use a lathe. Pulled the trigger on this puppy and it should be here this week.

It is expandable and I've always been partial to the JET name.

JWL-1221VS 12'' X 21'' VARIABLE SPEED WOOD LATHE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	505073_xl.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	351018  


Learn to not sweat the small stuff and life is much easier
Rick Ferris is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 03-26-2018, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: milwaukee, wi
Posts: 1,328
View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice Rick! I just got the Rikon version of that size lathe. This is pretty fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180318_220905355_1522065016341.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	351026  

Rick Ferris likes this.
sanchez is online now  
post #11 of 19 Old 03-26-2018, 09:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,713
View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I would like to see recommendations from the experts here regarding which accessories are needed to get started with a new lathe. What minimum tool set and other accessories would a beginner need, that won't come with the lathe when you buy it? How much would you budget for them?

Yeah, I know the sky is the limit when it comes to tools. I assume that the selection of accessories will depend somewhat on what kind of turning you want to do, but there must be a basic "starter set" that you can recommend, right?

Which accessories would you recommend to a beginner? Carbide tips or high speed steel? Which ones to start?
Rick Ferris likes this.
Tool Agnostic is online now  
post #12 of 19 Old 03-26-2018, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Kerrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NW Washington State
Posts: 813
View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I would like to see recommendations from the experts here regarding which accessories are needed to get started with a new lathe. What minimum tool set and other accessories would a beginner need, that won't come with the lathe when you buy it? How much would you budget for them?

Yeah, I know the sky is the limit when it comes to tools. I assume that the selection of accessories will depend somewhat on what kind of turning you want to do, but there must be a basic "starter set" that you can recommend, right?

Which accessories would you recommend to a beginner? Carbide tips or high speed steel? Which ones to start?
Iím certainly no expert but I recently purchased a lathe and the tools and accessories to start turning. I did a fair amount of research before I got started. Obviously you need a lathe. There is a ton of information here on purchasing a lathe. I started by listing what I wanted to turn then what my budget could handle and what my shop could handle. I purchased a basic set of 8 HSS chisels in the mid price range, about a hundred bucks. I had a single speed 6 inch bench grinder which I upgraded the wheels quality wise and built my own sharpening jigs. Saved some money here. You can spend a lot of money on chisels and sharpening equipment. After turning a few things to get the hang of things and to determine a more precise direction I wanted to go with the lathe I purchased a smaller face plate, 3Ē. Lathe came with a 6Ē plate. I also purchased a 4Ē, 4 jaw adjustable chuck which came with several styles of jaws. I purchased a 60 degree tapered live center and a 1/2Ē Jacobs chuck. These last two items were for turning pepper mills. With these basic tools I have turned bowls, pepper/salt mills, table legs, knobs, tool/utensil handles and numerous other specialty items.
Rick Ferris and Tool Agnostic like this.
Kerrys is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 03-27-2018, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Rick Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 23
View Rick Ferris's Photo Album My Photos
I've ordered these but can't give a review until I get a chance to use them.

SAVANNAH 8-Piece HSS Wood Lathe Chisel Set $80
Wolverine Skew Grind Attachment $38
Wolverine Grinding System with VARI-GRIND jig $140
Delta Power Tools 23-197 8-Inch Variable Speed Bench Grinder $130
PSI Woodworking Products TM32 1/2-Inch Diameter Drill Chuck with a 2 MT Mount $24
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61SVmJMLVFL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	351322  

Click image for larger version

Name:	71pochA6L4L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	351330  

Click image for larger version

Name:	519X-kPmPGL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	351338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	81s8I94LeYL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	351346  

Click image for larger version

Name:	7180TYOEnsL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	351354  


Learn to not sweat the small stuff and life is much easier

Last edited by Rick Ferris; 03-27-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Rick Ferris is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 03-27-2018, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Rick Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 23
View Rick Ferris's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
Very nice Rick! I just got the Rikon version of that size lathe. This is pretty fun
I like that! Did you get the stand too? I decided to build one first bolted to the floor and see how that works first.

Learn to not sweat the small stuff and life is much easier
Rick Ferris is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 03-27-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Rick Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 23
View Rick Ferris's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrys View Post
I purchased a 60 degree tapered live center and a 1/2Ē Jacobs chuck. These last two items were for turning pepper mills. With these basic tools I have turned bowls, pepper/salt mills, table legs, knobs, tool/utensil handles and numerous other specialty items.
I would like to try the pepper/salt mills too. Can you tell us about what type of wood, hardware, and finish? Picture are great too...hint hint!!

Learn to not sweat the small stuff and life is much easier
Rick Ferris is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 03-27-2018, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,713
View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ferris View Post
I've ordered these but can't give a review until I get a chance to use them.

SAVANNAH 8-Piece HSS Wood Lathe Chisel Set $80
Wolverine Skew Grind Attachment $38
Wolverine Grinding System with VARI-GRIND jig $140
Delta Power Tools 23-197 8-Inch Variable Speed Bench Grinder $130
PSI Woodworking Products TM32 1/2-Inch Diameter Drill Chuck with a 2 MT Mount $24
From the "Show Us Your Drill Press" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ferris View Post
Waiting on Delivery this week!!!

WEN 4225 8.6-Amp Variable Speed Floor Standing Drill Press, 15-Inch
DELTA 17-924 Mortising Attachment with 1/4 Inch, 5/16 Inch, 3/8 Inch, and 1/2 Inch Chisel and Bit Sets
Holy moley Rick! Did you buy an entire woodshop in one week?

Personal notes:
* My computer autocorrected "moley" into "money" above. Smart computer, I guess.
* I wonder whether Rick has any left to spare for me?
* ... or to buy wood to work on?
* My guess is that Rick will spend the whole week on tool assembly, not woodworking.

-> I hope Rick remembered to buy safety equipment - According to what I learned, a faceshield works better than the eyeglass-type protection when using a lathe. Rick may also want a "turner's apron", which covers the body better to keep the lathe chips off.
Tool Agnostic is online now  
post #17 of 19 Old 03-27-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Rick Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 23
View Rick Ferris's Photo Album My Photos
Hahahahaha, I sold my CNC Router to go a different direction in my woodworking hobby. That's not even a complete list and I still have $2k left to spend.

I had an apron but I did buy a shield to start.

Learn to not sweat the small stuff and life is much easier
Rick Ferris is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 03-27-2018, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Kerrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NW Washington State
Posts: 813
View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ferris View Post
I would like to try the pepper/salt mills too. Can you tell us about what type of wood, hardware, and finish? Picture are great too...hint hint!!


For wood I guess you could use just about anything that isnít toxic. Iíve used maple, ash, plum, oak and turned one from cypress. Cypress is a little soft and difficult to turn details in.

The two pieces of hardware I found necessary were my 4 jaw chuck and Jacobs chuck. You will need Forstner bits to hollow the inside. Size depends on the mechanism you use.

Here is an article I used to learn...http://www.nickcookwoodturner.com/ar...peppermill.pdf
Rick Ferris likes this.
Kerrys is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 03-27-2018, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: milwaukee, wi
Posts: 1,328
View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ferris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
Very nice Rick! I just got the Rikon version of that size lathe. This is pretty fun
I like that! Did you get the stand too? I decided to build one first bolted to the floor and see how that works first.
Hi Rick,

Yes, that's the factory stand. That picture is in my workshop.

My wife told me to spend the $125 on the stand rather than $50 on plywood, plus my time. The steel box section stands seem pretty good for what you get. They're very space efficient compared to what you could make.
Rick Ferris likes this.
sanchez is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Jet Lathe (excessive heat). NLAlston Power Tools & Machinery 19 04-06-2018 08:34 AM
Lathe quality vs. cost atty0112 General Woodworking Discussion 3 08-08-2017 04:18 PM
Lathe Kerrys Power Tools & Machinery 15 08-01-2017 06:31 AM
New wood lathe JMHubbs Power Tools & Machinery 11 06-15-2016 10:23 AM
Is this a deal for a lathe? Thorn495 Woodturning 10 09-20-2015 01:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome