Kupfer Muhl 4 sided planer - roller skew adjustment - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PMH

post #1 of 5 Old 03-07-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
PMH

View PMH's Photo Album My Photos
Kupfer Muhl 4 sided planer - roller skew adjustment

Good day,

We have a Kupfer Muhl planer. 600mm bed width (model VUIN 605).
It is ancient (1970's) but works well when its working

The problem I have is that timber started pulling away from the guide (standing behind the machine, the planks "drift" towards the left while feeding), resulting in only the one vertical spindle making a cut, progressively deeper as the timber is fed through...
I've measured the infeed rollers and found the top and bottom rollers to be out of vertical alignment. Weird thing is the plank is drifting TOWARDS the pinching side (is this to be expected?)

My machine was a bit butchered by the previous owners and I don't have a functioning way to adjust the infeed rollers independent of the table, and hence also can't adjust skewing on the roller.

I will appreciate if someone who has working knowledge of this machine can share how this adjustment is normally done on a non-butchered machine - Is this even adjustable at all?

Thank you
PMH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 (1).jpg (365.6 KB, 45 views)

Trusses is our game
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-08-2019, 04:39 PM

View SexyWood's Photo Album My Photos
You will need to find a manual for it or someone that has experience with the particular machine. If you cannot find either one of those, I would think about hiring a machine mechanic (not auto mechanic) or someone experienced in manufacturing equipment repair. Another possible option would be a experienced machinist. Not one of these kids that program CNC machines and unload parts, but a real machinist.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-08-2019, 10:20 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMH View Post
Good day,

We have a Kupfer Muhl planer. 600mm bed width (model VUIN 605).
It is ancient (1970's) but works well when its working

The problem I have is that timber started pulling away from the guide (standing behind the machine, the planks "drift" towards the left while feeding), resulting in only the one vertical spindle making a cut, progressively deeper as the timber is fed through...
I've measured the infeed rollers and found the top and bottom rollers to be out of vertical alignment. Weird thing is the plank is drifting TOWARDS the pinching side (is this to be expected?)

My machine was a bit butchered by the previous owners and I don't have a functioning way to adjust the infeed rollers independent of the table, and hence also can't adjust skewing on the roller.

I will appreciate if someone who has working knowledge of this machine can share how this adjustment is normally done on a non-butchered machine - Is this even adjustable at all?

Thank you
PMH
Are you sure you are putting the wood in straight. If the wood is put in a planer angled to the right it will walk left as it feeds through.

If the feed rollers are not level with the table that can also cause wood to feed to one side or the other. If that is what is going on you need to find a way to loosen the pressure on the right or tighten the pressure on the left.

As far as ancient, my planer was made in 1942.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-09-2019, 01:11 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMH View Post
Good day,

Yes, the higher side will pull the board over, just as a belt will run to the tighter side.

Sorry can't help on how to fix it.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #5 of 5 Old 03-10-2019, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
PMH

View PMH's Photo Album My Photos
Thanx for all your replies.
Update: I’ve taken out the bottom feed roller and saw the problem: the roller was designed to rest on linkages that adjusts with the infeed table. However someone “smart” modified this connection by welding static support lugs from the main frame of the machine which now carries the infeed roller. One of these support lugs was busy tearing out which resulted on the RHS of the rolled sagging - hence my problem of boards running skew.

Anyway, I fixed it my adding spacers. All fine now.
Just annoyed by he fact that someone previously took out the linkages which allows adjusting the roller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
firehawkmph likes this.

Trusses is our game

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode