Just started the hobby, thrown back by the noise - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

View stefanvverk's Photo Album My Photos
Just started the hobby, thrown back by the noise

Hi all,

About six months back my interest in woodworking first began. Straight away I knew my first "big" tool was going to be a table saw. After some research and setting a budget I got myself a DeWalt DW745 two days ago.

After firing it up today, I'm not so sure about the woodworking hobby anymore. There's neighbors directly next to us on both sides of our small home here in Holland. My workspace was going to be a small shed in the back garden. All in all, perfect conditions to hear everything one does.

The table saw is making 95 dB noise, idle. Didn't buy wood yet so I don't know the noise level when actually cutting.

My question; are all table saws so loud? Do I just have to get used to the noise and hope the neighbors aren't bothered by it? Or did I make the wrong choice in buying the DeWalt?

Stefan

PS. I just realized I forgot to mention; yes.. I bought it over the internet. Here in Holland all shops sell low quality stuff like Bosch green or lower, so I couldn't go out and testdrive what I was buying. I wanted a quality one, so had to shop online.

Last edited by stefanvverk; 07-17-2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Adding a PS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 05:01 PM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
Well you are not living in a flat!
Our US friends are used to triple garages and very large plots so good separation from neighbours and noise does not appear to be an issue, Perhaps agreeing with your neighbours that a certain time/day would be acceptable. You could try insulating your shed as well.
I have always had a rule to only use noisy tools for no more than an hour in the morning. Never in the evenings.
johnep
post #3 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Stefan! Yes, woodworking tools are loud. Some are louder than others. Seems like the more portable a tool is the louder it gets. I have a PM 66 table saw and the only sound you can hear off of it is the wind created by the blade. You can whisper to someone else in the shop and hear just fine. But a router is a different story as is the shop vac and the dust collector or planer.

Can you insulate your shed? That would help a lot. We insulated our two-car garage and even with the planer running you can barely hear it out in the driveway and certainly can't hear it next door at our neighbor's house.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome and the quick replies!
Insulating the shed is possible, just a matter of getting it done. But, things like the doors/windows inside the doors, are not going to be able to get insulated. Won't much noise still escape through there?
Here's a picture of the shed we'll be building this week;

Can I insulate the table saw too? When I mind the airflow and the ventilation of the motor?
post #5 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 05:54 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
As long as you keep descent hours I wouldn't worry about the noise. Many things are loud in life.
post #6 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 06:02 PM

View jspadaro's Photo Album My Photos
That DW745 is nice and compact, but it also has a universal motor. Belt-driven induction motor table saws are a good bit quieter (and not so high-pitched). Still not quiet, for the record, but better.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 06:15 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
When you ran the saw, closed the doors and walked to your neighbors doorway or the side of their house did it still appear to be too loud? Courteous use of the saw at specific times meant to cause minimal hardship or disturbance will go a long way to neighborhood harmony. But, neighbors can't or shouldn't expect total silence. Living life makes noise. There is no way in the world I would get too crazy as it related to some saw usage. Trying to insulate the saw seems excessive to me.

In my neighborhood, most just ignore such things. I no longer have a dog, but most around me do. I ignore their barking dogs and they ignore my table saw.
post #8 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 06:52 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
The shed you pictured is going to be very small for cutting any size wood. Fro your picture I am estimating that your shed is about 90" across the front and no more than that front to back. Remember that you have to have more than twice the space available as the length of the boards you will be cutting. Also the ceiling height should be higher than the length of boards.

George
post #9 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

@subroc,
That's exactly what I'll do when everything's setup. For now the shed is being delivered this week, after which we'll have to build it. Then I'll setup the table saw and see how noisy it really is. Just now, I started it indoors and blew my eardrums :-P
@George,
Thanks for your reply. I do admit, the commercial picture from the manifacturer doesn't do the shed any good :-) In real life it's 3 meters wide and 2,5 meters deep. About 115" x 100"
Hoping that'll be enough for starting up some small woodworking projects.

Last edited by stefanvverk; 07-17-2016 at 07:06 PM.
post #10 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 07:25 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Just wait until you crank up a router!
post #11 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Hehe, I'm already looking forward to it..
Just curious, anyone know if the 95 dB from my DeWalt is normal? I can tell by all the replies that loud is normal, but even so that 95 dB-ish loud is normal?
post #12 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 07:43 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Most woodworking tools are no louder than lawn equipment. Mowers, weed eaters and blowers all make a lot noise. With lawn equipment, you can't close the doors or insulate. You will be surprised how much the volume falls when the door is closed. Of course, it's still loud inside, but the outside noise will be well buffered.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #13 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 09:29 PM

Those universal motors really are screamers, though. The difference between a large universal and an induction motor is quite striking.
post #14 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 09:30 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanvverk View Post
@subroc,
That's exactly what I'll do when everything's setup. For now the shed is being delivered this week, after which we'll have to build it. Then I'll setup the table saw and see how noisy it really is. Just now, I started it indoors and blew my eardrums :-P
@George,
Thanks for your reply. I do admit, the commercial picture from the manifacturer doesn't do the shed any good :-) In real life it's 3 meters wide and 2,5 meters deep. About 115" x 100"
Hoping that'll be enough for starting up some small woodworking projects.
You will be very limited on the size of wood that you can cut. If that 115" is inside measure than about 4 foot is as long a piece as ou can rip. If the saw is oriented the other direction than about 3 1/2 ft will be as long as you can rip.

George
post #15 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 09:31 PM

Of course, with a little jobsite saw like that, he can simply take it outside the shed to make cuts on larger pieces. I don't see the issue, aside from the noise of course.
post #16 of 29 Old 07-17-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Any idea where I can get my hands on one of those induction motors @jspadaro?
post #17 of 29 Old 07-18-2016, 12:46 PM

Unfortunately, you can't just slap an induction motor on your DW745. The DW745 has direct drive intended for the universal motor it runs with.

The induction motors are generally on larger belt-driven table saws. In fact, the reason a jobsite saw has a universal motor like yours does is that they're so much more compact. So you would have to buy a different table saw.

Honestly, given how it looks like you'll end up using it, I would stick with the dewalt if you can, since it's such a much better saw to bring out into your yard if your neighbors will permit it.
post #18 of 29 Old 07-18-2016, 03:53 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Just a thought...

I have a 3 hp cabinet saw and the DeWalt DW745. Regardless of which one I use, I hardly ever run the saw more than 5-10 minutes. I work out of a one car garage so I have to plan my work. Even at a house I was installing cabinets in, I only ran the DW long enough to rip trim, etc. Not a long continuous noise.
Attached Images

post #19 of 29 Old 07-18-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, you're right about that. I shouldn't forget there's more to woodworking than ripping on a table saw.
Once the shed is in place, I'll look at insulation and take the test as it is. Like others in here said; we don't have a barking dog of loud music, so a little noise somewhere before 9 PM should be just fine.

Still wondering if 95 dB at idle is normal for any table saw.. Can you guys confirm that please?
post #20 of 29 Old 07-18-2016, 05:19 PM

View sbrader's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanvverk View Post
Still wondering if 95 dB at idle is normal for any table saw.. Can you guys confirm that please?
A 95 dB measurement by itself is not enough information. Where was this measured; in a confined space, outdoors? How far away did you measure? Was it A Weighted or C Weighted? Putting the saw in anything other than an anechoic chamber with a proper test microphone is not going to tell the whole story.

That said, I don't think 95 dB is probably that far out of line for that saw in an enclosed space.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode