Just joined and have a question on a tool - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-16-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

View Dan Ramsey's Photo Album My Photos
Just joined and have a question on a tool

This may be the wrong area but I have an old Black & Decker model 9400 Type 1 drill press that I have been trying to find a belt for without success.
I bought the tool new some 30(?) years ago and unfortunately the manual now resides at some previous location and all of the internet sites I can find list the belt as obsolete/not available.
The drill press works perfectly otherwise and I see no reason to get rid of it when v-belts are pretty much standard.
By all the measurement instructions I can find it seems a 26 inch belt is indicated, but that is too short. Does anyone have info on an old classic the specifies the belt dimensions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-16-2016, 01:19 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you bought a 26" belt and still have the packaging take it back and get a longer one. You can buy V-Belts by dimension rather than model number. The Napa store I use the guy will take an old belt and put it on a tool that measures it.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-16-2016, 01:26 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
There is more than just the length, the width is important too. If you have your old belt, measure it to make sure. I will cut the belt to get the right length measurement instead of trying to get an accurate measure around it.

I just recently ordered several belts from http://www.vbeltsupply.com/. Their prices were great, better than Amazon Prime, and I got better belts. I was shocked at the shipping, ordered Monday, arrived Wednesday.
The Following User Says Thank You to shoot summ For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (01-16-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-17-2016, 01:07 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Consider also a "power twist link belt", which reduces vibration, are easily adjustable in length, and are available from Woodcraft.com. Be safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode