Jointer woes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 38 Old 09-06-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

View Froglips's Photo Album My Photos
Jointer woes

I have a fairly new Delta 6" jointer. I am trying to jointer some fairly large boards to build a new outfeed table/workbench.

The boards are soft maple, approximately 2" x 6" x 6'.

I am consistently getting a cup on the side I am jointing. I have watched about a dozen jointer set up videos and attempted to assure the infeed and outfeed tables are coplanar. I have an A-Line dial indicator set-up and using it the blades appear square to the table.

One of the set-up videos suggested lowering the outfeed table slightly to correct cupping. I have tried that with no apparent effect.

I have not experienced this problem with smaller (lighter) boards. I will certainly state that the size and weight of these boards makes handling them on the jointer a challenge.

Jointer wizards, I am open to any suggestions you have for me.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-06-2015, 09:27 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The outfeed table should be adjusted level with the cutting edge of the knives and left there. You should never adjust the outfeed table for an application.

If you are getting some cupping trying to flatten your 2x6's it sounds like the knives are not installed right. It sounds like the left side of one knife is higher than the right and another knife is just the opposite. The knives need to be installed level with the rear table all the way across.
post #3 of 38 Old 09-06-2015, 12:04 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Please describe exactly the type of cupping you are experiencing.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 09-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
A few roller stands on both ends of the jointer to handle the weight and help balance the pressure of the wood on your infeed and outfeed would likely be a benefit going by what you said about the smaller boards being no problem.
post #5 of 38 Old 09-07-2015, 11:29 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Best if you can lengthen your table, roller stands help, I prefer to attach rollers to the jointer to get them exactly level with the tables, infeed and outfeed.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #6 of 38 Old 09-07-2015, 02:00 PM

View jdonhowe's Photo Album My Photos
Okay, seems to me some clarification of terms is in order. To me, "cupping" of a board refers to an inward arcing of the surface across the width of the board- that is, there's something of a trough running the length of the board. The only way I see this happening with jointing is if the blades are curved instead of straight across, so more of the center of the board width is shaved than the edges; replacing the blades should solve that. If the knives are poorly set, as Steve Neul suggested, that would create the opposite effect, i.e., more wood removed from the edges, creating a mound in the center. To me, that's not called "cupping".

If the inward arcing occurs along the length of the board, I think a more accurate term is "bowing" (shaped like *ahem* a bow). That is where issues of table geometry- coplanarity, outfeed elevation with respect to knives, etc., come into play. I suspect that your issue is with bowing.

Given the finding that lighter boards aren't a problem, one thing to check is whether there is any sloppiness in the table dovetail ways; you might need to tighten or adjust the gib screws. You could also check whether the beds are coplanar while you have some heavy weights sitting on the ends of each bed- simulating a heavy board.
post #7 of 38 Old 09-07-2015, 04:12 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
terms are important!

Cupping is across the width and occurs naturally from drying. Bowing can occur naturally, OR from a jointer that is improperly set up. It can't occur from bad technique unless the work is not supported at the height of the outfeed table and that's really more about the set up.

The outfeed table height must be level across the height of the knives as close as possible and that's one reason they are adjustable... to dial it right on.

Sometimes a cabinet maker will want to put a little curve in a board for spring back when it's glued up. It's a pretty sophisticated method in my book, so I don't do it. I hate roller stands because they are so easily knocked over. I removed the rollers from mine and replaced them with a 2 x 12" plank which I level out to the outfeed table. Worked like a charm!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 38 Old 09-08-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Please describe exactly the type of cupping you are experiencing.

George
The cupping I am referring to is best described by visualizing a 2 x 6 laid on it 6" face. If you measure the 6" face at each end you find it measures 6" but in the center the board is only 5 7/8" wide. There is a curve beginning at the end of the board that smoothly reduces the width of the board until at the middle of the board.
post #9 of 38 Old 09-08-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Best if you can lengthen your table, roller stands help, I prefer to attach rollers to the jointer to get them exactly level with the tables, infeed and outfeed.
Several suggestions to use some type of auxillary support for the heavy boards. I have tried this. It appears to be very very difficult to get a roller support coplanar with a jointer:)
post #10 of 38 Old 09-08-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Okay, seems to me some clarification of terms is in order. To me, "cupping" of a board refers to an inward arcing of the surface across the width of the board- that is, there's something of a trough running the length of the board. The only way I see this happening with jointing is if the blades are curved instead of straight across, so more of the center of the board width is shaved than the edges; replacing the blades should solve that. If the knives are poorly set, as Steve Neul suggested, that would create the opposite effect, i.e., more wood removed from the edges, creating a mound in the center. To me, that's not called "cupping".
This is not what I am experiencing.

If the inward arcing occurs along the length of the board, I think a more accurate term is "bowing" (shaped like *ahem* a bow). That is where issues of table geometry- coplanarity, outfeed elevation with respect to knives, etc., come into play. I suspect that your issue is with bowing.
Bowing, for me is a protruding curve, the opposite of a cup. I have decribed my problem visually in another post.

Given the finding that lighter boards aren't a problem, one thing to check is whether there is any sloppiness in the table dovetail ways; you might need to tighten or adjust the gib screws. You could also check whether the beds are coplanar while you have some heavy weights sitting on the ends of each bed- simulating a heavy board.[/QUOTE]
I will test the tables stability as you suggest. The significant weight of the boards is some kind of contributor to the problem.

Thanks for your reply!
post #11 of 38 Old 09-08-2015, 04:35 PM

What you are getting is a result of a long board on a short table, as you feed it in there is extra weight at the opposite end so less pressure on the knives, toward the middle the board it is balanced, easy to put more pressure on the knives, as it continues there is more weight on lead edge raising board off knives.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #12 of 38 Old 09-08-2015, 06:53 PM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
Or the long board has an existing curve the length of it prior to jointing and the board ends extend past the ends of the in/outfeed tables. When this occurs one can hear a difference in the sound the jointer makes taking a deeper bite into the board.

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty
post #13 of 38 Old 09-08-2015, 07:13 PM
where's my table saw?

exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglips View Post
Several suggestions to use some type of auxillary support for the heavy boards. I have tried this. It appears to be very very difficult to get a roller support coplanar with a jointer:)

This is why I did what I did with the plank and 2 roller stands. It's a cheap solution and very workable for either face jointing or edge jointing boards that are over 4 ft long. A 6 ft X 2" thick board is unmanageable on a short bed jointer. You need outfeed support.

The legs of the roller stands can be shimmed with wedges to get the plank coplaner. The heights of the rollers are infinitely adjustable with the locking screw.
You will need an accurate straight edge or bar to make this work however. It's really a no brainer.

I also edge joint a whole lot of 1" boards using a table saw and a straight line jig for the very reasons the jointer is not suitable without a support setup. This takes time and unless I'm face jointing I don't want to take the time for the roller and plank setup.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #14 of 38 Old 09-08-2015, 07:54 PM

It may be the board is too long for the jointer but it could also be the rear table is too low. Using a piece of wood about 2' long run it a few inches through the jointer backwards and see if it cuts anything off. If it does then the table is too low. Just be careful doing this it doesn't pull you into it. It should just barely touch the wood.
post #15 of 38 Old 09-09-2015, 10:24 AM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
I've jointed 10' long boards on my 6" jointer with a couple of roller stands at both ends. If the jointer is tuned, it just becomes a matter of technique. The cut portion absolutely has to lay flat on the outfeed table. As long as that happens, the board comes out straight. Longer tables obviously make this much, much easier, but it's ultimately your job to make sure the board stays pinned flat to the table. The rollers should just keep it from sagging.
post #16 of 38 Old 09-09-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDIY View Post
I've jointed 10' long boards on my 6" jointer with a couple of roller stands at both ends. If the jointer is tuned, it just becomes a matter of technique. The cut portion absolutely has to lay flat on the outfeed table. As long as that happens, the board comes out straight. Longer tables obviously make this much, much easier, but it's ultimately your job to make sure the board stays pinned flat to the table. The rollers should just keep it from sagging.
Agree, it is partly how the machine is set up and partly operator technique, both have to be in play, the extension rollers make it easier for the operator to do his part.

― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #17 of 38 Old 09-09-2015, 11:17 AM

My little 6" jointer I just built an extension on it for longer wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0958.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	183497  

post #18 of 38 Old 09-09-2015, 11:50 AM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
If I have a long board with a crown in it I get rid of one bad side on the TS 1st then pretty the edge up on the Jointer.

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty
post #19 of 38 Old 09-09-2015, 01:48 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghidrah View Post
If I have a long board with a crown in it I get rid of one bad side on the TS 1st then pretty the edge up on the Jointer.
Sometimes I draw a pencil mark for the straight edge and go back to the jointer. Starting in the center of the cup, shave off one end and then the other until until I reach my straight edge line. Then, one last shave from end to end removing only a smidgin to reach the pencil line.
post #20 of 38 Old 09-09-2015, 04:56 PM
where's my table saw?

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Sometimes I draw a pencil mark for the straight edge and go back to the jointer. Starting in the center of the cup, shave off one end and then the other until until I reach my straight edge line. Then, one last shave from end to end removing only a smidgin to reach the pencil line.

Treat the jointer like a giant hand plane. You have to sight your boards for curves and straight before you start jointing. If you have a reference straight edge and want top make a mark to plane to that's fine.

The jointer is NOT a one pass does it all machine. It needs the operator's help. If you plane/joint in from one end then flip it around and plane in from the opposite end .... eventually you will have removed the curve from the board and THEN you can run a full length pass. I do this all the time. Use the tool like you own and understand it.

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-09-2015 at 07:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (09-09-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode