Jointer + planer or new jointer/planer combo... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

View centex99's Photo Album My Photos
Jointer + planer or new jointer/planer combo...

I was looking at buying a 6" jointer and a 121/2-13" planer... I'm just starting out and wanting to eventually be able to build furniture quality and other nicknacks (cutting boards,etc).
I'm looking at a used Delta JT-360 and a used Delta 22-580... combined I can get those or something similiar (good steal jointer + benchtop planer) for ~$500.
Though, in a few weeks, I'd be able to get a new jet unit that is a combo planer/jointer... 10" for both new for ~400.
The model is JJP-10BTOS. They also sell an 8" version for less.
Whats a better route? I'm thinking quality might be a bit better on the 6" jointer, but the benefit of 8 or 10" jointer may be useful in the future... plus is there much of a need for a larger jointer versus planer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-03-2009, 01:06 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I do not know anything about the units you are looking at.

However, I have just never been a fan of combination units. There just seem to be too many compromises.

George
post #3 of 9 Old 01-03-2009, 02:52 PM

View LGC KX5 TC's Photo Album My Photos
what is your shop space like. If you have room for two units that is usally what most people would do. If you are tight on space go for a combo unit. The are good units just combined and takes time to change over usually. There are also bigger models available like this one

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19798

Though with the bigger size comes a bigger price about $2,000. If i were you i would base it off of how much room you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-03-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Workshop is my 2 car garage, though it houses other things as well... so space is fairly limited, but I'd say I could manage space for both units (on the smaller side).
Unit I'm talking about is this one:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=63972
or 8" version here:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=63971
post #5 of 9 Old 01-03-2009, 05:29 PM

View LGC KX5 TC's Photo Album My Photos
If you think that you could fit both units i would do that. Have you considered putting the units on mobile bases. that way when you aren't using them you can move them out of the way.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-03-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

So, the better quality 6" jointer + separate 13" planer will be more beneficial than a 10" jointer + 10" planer (of slightly less quality).
post #7 of 9 Old 01-03-2009, 11:10 PM

View mmtools's Photo Album My Photos
I have seen and run the Jet combo unit. It seems to be pretty good. However, I would IMHO, go with the two separate pieces. Reason? easier to align and maintain either one of them. Blade change is MUCH easier....

Mike O
Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit. - Anthony Bourdain
Toolsandmachinery.com
post #8 of 9 Old 08-10-2009, 09:02 PM

View fire_n_the_hole's Photo Album My Photos
See my other posts regarding this unit...two identical machines, two machines sent back. Both had a number of problems, the most important of which were tables that I couldn't get to be coplanar.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 07:21 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
The jointer and planer each sell for about $360 each.
It's hard to believe that a combo machine for $400, would be much more than a toy.

I've seen good solid older 6" jointers, like delta and powermatic, selling used for $180 ( PM50 that I bought) to $300.
And various lunchbox planers from $125 to $200. I sold my PM lunchbox for $150.

8" and 10" is sort of narrow for a planer. A lot of stuff is jointed, glued up, then planed.

I think 12" is the min. I would want in a planer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode