Jointer Planer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Jointer Planer

I just started looking on Craigslist for a Jointer/Planer. I figured out, I have no clue what I am looking for. I am not averse to the "old iron" or something that needs some TLC. Right away, the questions come up in my head, a 4" or a 6" or even bigger? Internal motor or external? Can you get blades for all the old stuff?

Here is one that is typical

link

I expect with this one I would need a bit more information before I made a call.

The help I would like is what to look for and must have features or size and any other thing I would need to know to help me make an informed decision.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 06:08 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would pass on that one. I have one and hate it. The fence won't stay at 90 degrees and the rear table isn't adjustable. Having the rear table adjustable makes changing the knives a lot easier.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 06:22 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I'll take the opposite view

I had an older Craftsman 6" jointer for about 35 years, used it regularly, changed out the blades about once a year for sharp ones and finally gave it to a good friend who needed one after I got a new one, also a Craftsman.

Setting the blades was not a big issue. I used a simple technique with an aluminum bar,. I call it the "propulsion" method where you rotate the cutter head and the bar is propelled forward about 3/32" or so by the tip of the blades.The less it jumps the closer to dead level across the rear table they are. It took me about 15 minutes to change them out. My jointer had height screws that the blades rested on which controlled how much they were raised. If that model doesn't have those screws, the blade setting process would be a lot more difficult.... maybe. A friend uses a powerful speaker magnet to hold the blades level with the outfeed table, then locks them in place.

The fence had a 90 degree stop and you had to fuss with it a bit to make sure it was at 90 degrees, but should always check that setting before jointing just to make sure.

The price at $95.00 is about right, but I would offer less to start, but don't pay more.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-10-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 06:57 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
Well..For $100 I can get its ok....That is not a jointer I would tell a friend to get...No offence to aneyone..
post #5 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Interested Observer

Any thoughts on a Delta JT360 jointer?
post #6 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat 60 View Post
Well..For $100 I can get its ok....That is not a jointer I would tell a friend to get...No offence to aneyone..
No offense taken.

Well, what would you "tell a friend to get" if you were asked?
post #7 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 07:30 PM

I started with a delta 6in open brace and it was a great jointer..Cant remember the model number...Im looking for more info on the Delta JT360.........I found it and it looks like you would have a hard time with any thing longer that 4ft because of its small size .

Last edited by mat 60; 04-10-2016 at 07:39 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat 60 View Post
I started with a delta 6in open brace and it was a great jointer..Cant remember the model number...Im looking for more info on the Delta JT360.........I found it and it looks like you would have a hard time with any thing longer that 4ft because of its small size .
Do you have any suggestions of what I should search for on the used market? I value your expertise.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
YMMV on this, but here's my opinion on the questions you asked:

Bigger is always better, provided you can afford it and power it. 6 inch jointer are going to be the most common and therefore the cheapest on the used market. If the majority of what youd be jointing is 6 or less inches wide, you can easily get by with a smaller jointer. That said, if you get a good deal on an 8 inch jointer, and have 220 to power it, you'll never regret the extra capacity. Personally, I'd avoid the 4 inchers. Too small for most general work. Admittedly, if you worked near-exclusively on smaller pieces, say you made models or something, you could get by pretty well with a 4 inch

Internal vs external shouldn't matter too much, you just really want to make sure what you're looking at is an induction motor, not universal, and preferably is easily replaceable if needed. Most are, save for those in benchtop models.

Dont worry too much about blades, most of the sizes are pretty standard and are easy to find.

As far as what to look for goes, personally I'd go for a 6 or 8 inch model, depending on your price range, with the longest bet length you can find, preferable solid cast iron, with a motor ideally in the 3/4-1hp range. I've got a Grizzly g0452 as my machine, and that's what I'm basing my recommendations on, build wise

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #10 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
Do you have any suggestions of what I should search for on the used market? I value your expertise.
I'm no expert here just trying to help..epicfal48 gave great advice..
post #11 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Be a bit careful with older delta equipment, I recently bought a delta jointer that's about 10 years old, a critical adjustment part broke, and is no longer available. Luckily, a great member here machined me a new one!!!

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #12 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
Be a bit careful with older delta equipment, I recently bought a delta jointer that's about 10 years old, a critical adjustment part broke, and is no longer available. Luckily, a great member here machined me a new one!!!
What model was that?

What was the part that broke?

How did it break?

Thanks
post #13 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 08:46 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Any thoughts on a Delta JT360 jointer?
That one is a lot better. The only problem I could see is parts are getting difficult to get for Delta equipment however it's unlikely you would ever need any. The only thing that is likely to wear out is the bearings or the motor which could be replaced with stock parts.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 08:48 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
A jointer is one of the simplest machine tools. I prefer a longer bed length versus the short bed jointers. 6" is adequate for most of us. I prefer the external motor with a belt/pulley.
I tend to run my 6" jointer for several years before sharpening the blades. Only 3 simple knives and readily available for any brand.
Besides the longer bed length, I want a fully adjustable fence that will allow me to run 45 degree angled boards. A well made stand is a plus. I have no interest in a small bench-top jointer.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #15 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 09:01 PM
Sawdust Creator

Quote:
What model was that?

What was the part that broke?

How did it break?

Thanks
Don't recall the exact model, but here's the pictures....

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/s...my-shop-66121/

It was a few of the pot metal cast parts related to the height adjustment....here's the pictures of those problems....

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/a...ll-mill-66200/

post #16 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
Don't recall the exact model, but here's the pictures....

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/s...my-shop-66121/

It was a few of the pot metal cast parts related to the height adjustment....here's the pictures of those problems....

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/a...ll-mill-66200/
I guess the guy you bought it from broke it and sold it to you after.Not very nice on his part..There is no telling how he broke the part and I don't think someone can say the delta is not a good jointer to buy because of your unusual trouble..
post #17 of 18 Old 04-10-2016, 10:12 PM
Sawdust Creator

No, I broke it when hauling it I think. The issue with delta, and it's not just jointers, is that there's virtually no parts support for older models. Many others have had similar luck.

post #18 of 18 Old 04-11-2016, 11:51 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I just started looking on Craigslist for a Jointer/Planer. I figured out, I have no clue what I am looking for. I am not averse to the "old iron" or something that needs some TLC. Right away, the questions come up in my head, a 4" or a 6" or even bigger? Internal motor or external? Can you get blades for all the old stuff?

Here is one that is typical

link

I expect with this one I would need a bit more information before I made a call.

The help I would like is what to look for and must have features or size and any other thing I would need to know to help me make an informed decision.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
I too have the same jointer (a planer is a different tool altogether), and I agree with the previously mentioned shortfalls. however with some tlc it keeps doing a good job for me. I would offer 50-75 tho if interested. think I paid over 300 new in 1981 or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode