Jointer Blade install - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 5 Old 04-06-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

View Wskip49's Photo Album My Photos
Jointer Blade install

I am restoring a 1950 Craftsman jointer. I just got blades to install, as it had none when I got it, my problem is I don't know if the blade goes behind the plate close to the outfeed table or in front close to infeed tabel? Any ideas. I found the manual but know help at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-06-2018, 12:03 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wskip49 View Post
I am restoring a 1950 Craftsman jointer. I just got blades to install, as it had none when I got it, my problem is I don't know if the blade goes behind the plate close to the outfeed table or in front close to infeed tabel? Any ideas. I found the manual but know help at all.
The plate is known as a gib. The blade goes behind the gib toward the rear table. If the model jointer you have is a type which has a non-adjustable rear table you will have to install the knives to where the cutting edge is absolutely level with the rear table. What I normally do is lay a lightweight steel ruler on the rear table and adjust the knives to where when you rotate the head the cutting edge just barely touches the ruler without lifting it. Then tighten it down.

I have a later model Craftsman jointer and on mine the blades tend to lift up when you tighten them. I have to adjust the blades so they are slightly low so when I tighten them the blades raise up to where they are suppose to be. From what I understand I may be the only one experiencing this but it wouldn't hurt to check the blades after you tighten them and make sure they tighten where they are suppose to.

On a jointer that has an adjustable rear table it's more critical you get all the blades alike rather than exactly level with the rear table. After you are done you can raise or lower the rear table to get it right.
hawkeye10 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-06-2018, 12:34 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
The plate is known as a gib. The blade goes behind the gib toward the rear table. If the model jointer you have is a type which has a non-adjustable rear table you will have to install the knives to where the cutting edge is absolutely level with the rear table. What I normally do is lay a lightweight steel ruler on the rear table and adjust the knives to where when you rotate the head the cutting edge just barely touches the ruler without lifting it. Then tighten it down.

I have a later model Craftsman jointer and on mine the blades tend to lift up when you tighten them. I have to adjust the blades so they are slightly low so when I tighten them the blades raise up to where they are suppose to be. From what I understand I may be the only one experiencing this but it wouldn't hurt to check the blades after you tighten them and make sure they tighten where they are suppose to.

On a jointer that has an adjustable rear table it's more critical you get all the blades alike rather than exactly level with the rear table. After you are done you can raise or lower the rear table to get it right.
They need to be level with the outfeed table. Here is a video that might help you.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

View Wskip49's Photo Album My Photos
Jointer blade install

The gib has a ledge on it. I don't know it the blade sits on it or does be blade go on the flat side. Check out my photos

Last edited by Wskip49; 04-08-2018 at 05:54 PM. Reason: need to add picture
post #5 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 08:09 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Your second picture, the knife would go to the left of the gib with the pointed edge to the right. The gib has screws which pulls down against the knife like a wedge tightening it.

To be on the safe side when you think you have the knives installed post a picture. Also you might plug the jointer into an extension cord with the switch on and then plug in the jointer so it runs while you are not standing near it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jointer manual.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	354658  

The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Wskip49 (04-11-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode