Jointer 8" - Grizzly maybe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By oachalon
  • 1 Post By NoThankyou

post #1 of 16 Old 11-18-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

View oachalon's Photo Album My Photos
Jointer 8" - Grizzly maybe

Hi,

This will be my first time buying a jointer and also new member on the forum. I have viewed this forum many times, but finally became a member. I am leaning towards the Grizzly line. A few caveats

1. Needs to be from amazon as I have a boat load of amazon gift cards so it will reduce pricing
2. I am unfortunately going to be carrying this beast down my basement stairs into my basement.

I was looking at the Grizzly G0857, but because it is 1 piece, i am not sure i will be able to get it down my basement steps and also to make the turn in my basement (door is not straight ahead but turned 90 degrees from the steps).

I was also thinking the G04090X. Seems to be the tried and true and also 2 piece, but not light.

Again does not have to be Grizzly, but they seem to have decent reviews for the price. Anyone have recommendations on one that will make it down the basement steps without putting my back and my brothers back out of commission for 2 weeks (we will accept 1 week.........)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-18-2019, 06:24 PM
No Longer Here

View bob493's Photo Album My Photos
while 6", just randomly came across this one.....

https://www.amazon.com/Cutech-40160H...ustomerReviews

Spiral cutter head for 350$???

That said, After fighting straight knives for so long, That g04090x is definitely where im leaning towards myself. I would ASSume the head assembly can be separated, no?
post #3 of 16 Old 11-18-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

I was looking at bench tops, but i have 6ft long 8" wide 3" thick lumber i am trying to smooth out. So kind of looking at the full size ones.

The g04090x it comes in 2 boxes separated. The G0857 comes fully assembled, not sure how good of an idea it is to separate it if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-18-2019, 07:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I owned an 8" straight blade Grizzly ...

I loved the G0656 8" jointer, but it was heavy for one person, no stairs, ground level shop. I used a chain fall to assemble it on the base. I don't know if the G0857 is separate from the base ....?

As far as turning the corner, just tip it on end vertically on a hand truck or carpet that will slide easily on the floor, fuzzy side down. You will want to use a hand truck anyway for going down the stairs. A rope tied around a pipe that's across the door way will restrain it from accelerating to fast, one person at the bottom with several warps on the pipe, or one person at the top.

When I moved heavy machines up or down stairs, I made a two sided runway out of planks, one on either side of the step, wheels spacing apart for the hand truck or in my case a wood skid/pallet. I used a 12 V battey powered winch at the top. It easily controlled machines around 400 lbs.

The more you do in preparation beforehand, the safer and better off you will be. Anticipate Murphy's Law and all it's possibilities. That has always worked for me, and I've moved very heavy machines:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...l-score-35412/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-18-2019 at 07:49 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-18-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

From what I can see online the G0857 is 1 piece and not separate from the base. Specs for the cartons on the G0490 are:

Carton #1
Type.............................................. .................................................. ................................................ Wood Crate
Content........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .. Machine
Weight............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .... 402 lbs.
Length x Width x Height............................................ .................................................. ............... 81 x 25 x 13 in.
Must Ship Upright........................................... .................................................. ............................................ Yes

Carton #2
Type.............................................. .................................................. ........................................... Cardboard Box
Content........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ....... Stand
Weight............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .... 162 lbs.
Length x Width x Height............................................ .................................................. ............... 38 x 18 x 28 in.
Must Ship Upright........................................... .................................................. ............................................. No

I figured i would strap the wood crate to the dolly (have a heavy duty furniture dolly) 2 guys on top, 2 guys on bottom. Just need to be able to pick up on the first part of the steps going down as I do not want to destroy the hardwood bullnose on the top. Rest of the steps are just carpet.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-19-2019, 09:22 AM

View danrush's Photo Album My Photos
For the top tread you can get a stair nose protector from Fastcap, or just pick up an aluminum stair nose from the hardware store. A little double sided foam tape to hold it in place and cushion it against the wood nose and you'll be good to go. We use these when delivering cabinets and haven't lost a tread yet. Better than lifting.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-19-2019, 12:21 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
dolly VS hand truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
From what I can see online the G0857 is 1 piece and not separate from the base. Specs for the cartons on the G0490 are:

Carton #1
Type.............................................. .................................................. ................................................ Wood Crate
Content........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .. Machine
Weight............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .... 402 lbs.
Length x Width x Height............................................ .................................................. ............... 81 x 25 x 13 in.
Must Ship Upright........................................... .................................................. ............................................ Yes

Carton #2
Type.............................................. .................................................. ........................................... Cardboard Box
Content........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ....... Stand
Weight............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .... 162 lbs.
Length x Width x Height............................................ .................................................. ............... 38 x 18 x 28 in.
Must Ship Upright........................................... .................................................. ............................................. No

I figured i would strap the wood crate to the dolly (have a heavy duty furniture dolly) 2 guys on top, 2 guys on bottom. Just need to be able to pick up on the first part of the steps going down as I do not want to destroy the hardwood bullnose on the top. Rest of the steps are just carpet.

A furniture dolly has 4 casters and is non-directional meaning it will go where you want it to OR where it wants to go, and that ain't up or down stairs! They are OK for flat surfaces with small difference in height.

A hand truck has two large wheels, a tall frame with a handle AND stair sliding rails meant for going up or down stairs.

By rounding off the fronts of a skid you can allow it to easily slide up or down the stairs. This is what I used for moving my heavy machines up 15 wooden steps and I strapped them to it with ratchet straps. Take no chances. When moving a large 15" planer, my observant son noticed that our 1984 vintage Oldsmobile was directly at the bottom of the open doorway leading up the stairs. He suggested that we move it "just in case" .... LOL.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 16 Old 11-19-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Hi,

What i have is a hand truck, we just call it a dolly, sorry for the wrong name. I am not concerned about moving it, we have moved thousands of lbs of equipment. That is not my concern. My concern is that it needs to be 2 pieces to move it, otherwise it wont fit in the doorway and specifically which jointer to get.

Thanks for the info, but the focus is on picking the right equipment, not moving the equipment. Kind of just referenced moving so we make sure whatever is recommended is either 2 piece (top and base) or can be split into 2 pieces without messing up the machine.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-19-2019, 05:32 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Hi,

What i have is a hand truck, we just call it a dolly, sorry for the wrong name. I am not concerned about moving it, we have moved thousands of lbs of equipment. That is not my concern. My concern is that it needs to be 2 pieces to move it, otherwise it wont fit in the doorway and specifically which jointer to get.

Thanks for the info, but the focus is on picking the right equipment, not moving the equipment. Kind of just referenced moving so we make sure whatever is recommended is either 2 piece (top and base) or can be split into 2 pieces without messing up the machine.

I have a G490 and love it I wished I had gotten the spiral head but I was being a tight wad, I have a spiral head on my G1033 20" planer and really like that

There is no app for experience
post #10 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Im trying to be a tight wad as well. if you had to choose between a jointer with Parallelogram beds and spiral cutterhead or jointer with helical cutterhead and not parallelogram bed which one would you choose.

Ignore my ignorance if i have the terms incorrect.

Thanks,
post #11 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 04:38 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Im trying to be a tight wad as well. if you had to choose between a jointer with Parallelogram beds and spiral cutterhead or jointer with helical cutterhead and not parallelogram bed which one would you choose.

Ignore my ignorance if i have the terms incorrect.

Thanks,

Helical and spiral are the same heads just different terminology, I would go with the helical/spiral heads, they used dovetailed way beds forever, and if set right they work fine

There is no app for experience
post #12 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 01:25 PM

View jeff100's Photo Album My Photos
When my grandfather retired his woodworking equipment a few years ago I made the road trip up to philly to load it all into a Uhaul and move it down to atlanta. Among the tools was a 8 x 72 Grizzly jointer. Not easily, but two hired movers and I were able to move it from a downstairs (not exterior exit) basement. Maybe call and see if a moving company will let you get a few hands after hours or something for a good price. I use a 6" jointer and that seems best for what i do but you seem to have a specific need to flatten wider boards than that. Best of luck.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 04:47 PM

View Tom Hoppe's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like you're sold on Grizzly, but I'll put in a +1 for the benchtop 8" from Cutech (available on Amazon). It's got a "fake spiral" cutterhead, that's not quite helix, but is quite a bit quieter and results in a smoother finish than straight knives. The extendable table for the 8" does a great job, and I just jointed some 6ft long boards on mine, by myself, with no issues. It's benchtop, so it's not nearly as quite as a badass fence as "full jointers", but it's also $400...
post #14 of 16 Old 11-22-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

I ordered the g04090x. It seems to be the proven one based on my research. Thanks everyone for the help.
Catpower likes this.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-22-2019, 11:45 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Just sitting here thinking. I know Grizzly charged $50 for lift gate service. You need to ask if they will offer inside delivery, noting basement.

Better than tearing up your back which you will be suffering for decades.
Catpower likes this.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #16 of 16 Old 11-25-2019, 11:24 PM
Dust Maker

View samandothers's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Shop Fox brand 8" jointer. It came in 2 boxes. One was the base and one was the top. I did get it from amazon several years ago.

Sam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode