4Likes
  • 1 Post By Toolman50
  • 1 Post By Techsniffer
  • 1 Post By Techsniffer
  • 1 Post By subroc

post #1 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

View Wil_Bloodworth's Photo Album My Photos
Question JET XACTA + Mobile Base

I finally finished wiring up the 230v line for the table saw so I figured it was time to actually unbox the table saw. First, I put the mobile base together and then unboxed the table saw and sat it on the base. The base states that it is "universal" which means it is just adjustable and isn't really built to fit any specific piece of machinery which is NOT what I expected.

Here are two photos of the JET XACTA sitting on the JET mobile base. As you can see, there is (in my opinion) substantial space around the bottom of the TS cabinet. So, when you attempt to move the table saw, it first slides around on the base until it makes contact with the side and then the mobile base moves. I've "shimmed" it tight with some scrap pieces of wood but this is not an acceptable solution (in my shop) so I'm wondering if any of you have run into this issue and what your solution was (other than getting rid of the mobile base).

Thank you!
Attached Images

Great Success REQUIRES Great Effort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 01:50 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Looking at the top picture, it looks like the gap on the roller base could be closed more. If that's not possibly as is, the based would need to be pulled apart and cut down slightly for tighter fit. JMO.
Wil_Bloodworth likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
It says adjustable, but it doesn't look like you adjusted it to fit your saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 02:52 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
If shimming it with spacers isn't acceptable, the only option I can think of is to adjust the mobile base.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

No matter what it looks like in the photos or "being adjustable", this is as small as it gets. I have no idea why there are holes in the middle... which is deceiving and leads you to think it is more adjustable... but it is not. The minimum dimensions are 24" x 24" which is larger than the cabinet base. As @Toolman50 suggests, the only real option (other than shims) would be to cut the metal brackets down to make it a bit tighter. However, I do not own any metal cutting tools so I guess I will just make something nice to shim up the bottom.

post #6 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Kinda wish I would've just popped for the Powermatic PM2000 now... it has built-in casters. The mobile base alters the table height so that's a bit unfortunate.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 08:07 PM
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil_Bloodworth View Post
No matter what it looks like in the photos or "being adjustable", this is as small as it gets. I have no idea why there are holes in the middle... which is deceiving and leads you to think it is more adjustable... but it is not. The minimum dimensions are 24" x 24" which is larger than the cabinet base. As @Toolman50 suggests, the only real option (other than shims) would be to cut the metal brackets down to make it a bit tighter. However, I do not own any metal cutting tools so I guess I will just make something nice to shim up the bottom.
You can attack this problem any way you want and I expect your result will be just fine. If I was doing this I would cut the extension bars on both sides a bit. You don't have any metal cutting tools at all? A hack saw? A reciprocating saw? A jig saw? A hand held cut off tool? Nothing?
post #8 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
You can attack this problem any way you want and I expect your result will be just fine. If I was doing this I would cut the extension bars on both sides a bit. You don't have any metal cutting tools at all? A hack saw? A reciprocating saw? A jig saw? A hand held cut off tool? Nothing?
Ah, I forgot about my reciprocating saw! Yes, I think I can get that working. Thanks!

post #9 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 09:32 PM

View Techsniffer's Photo Album My Photos
After watching your video in your other thread, I would cut my losses and return all that and go with a PPM or SawStop table saw, you wouldnt have any of these issues.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Following User Says Thank You to Techsniffer For This Useful Post:
Wil_Bloodworth (06-05-2017)
post #10 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
After watching your video in your other thread, I would cut my losses and return all that and go with a PPM or SawStop table saw, you wouldnt have any of these issues.
I'm hoping to not have to do that... but I definitely will depending on what kind of response I receive from JET customer service. I almost went with the Powermatic PM2000 but I'm not so sure about the Powermatic brand either... both JET and Powermatic are owned by the same parent company... JPW Industries. They have several brands: http://www.jpwindustries.com/

If the JET stuff is bad more often than good, who is to say the Powermatic machinery won't have the same issues or come off the same assembly line being inspected by the same workers? I have to wonder.

- Wil

post #11 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 10:12 PM

View Techsniffer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil_Bloodworth View Post
I'm hoping to not have to do that... but I definitely will depending on what kind of response I receive from JET customer service. I almost went with the Powermatic PM2000 but I'm not so sure about the Powermatic brand either... both JET and Powermatic are owned by the same parent company... JPW Industries. They have several brands: http://www.jpwindustries.com/

If the JET stuff is bad more often than good, who is to say the Powermatic machinery won't have the same issues or come off the same assembly line being inspected by the same workers? I have to wonder.

- Wil
Thats a fair point, I've not heard anyone really have anything bad to say about PM, but I have chosen to buy a SawStop after watching many videos I'm convinced this is what I want.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #12 of 13 Old 06-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Interested Observer

I have no opinion on whether you should keep the saw, work through the issues with the manufacturer, exchange the saw for another or get a different model altogether.

You know what you expect and what you can live with.

I am not sure the handwheel lock knob is really there to prevent you from reefing on it with significant effort and prevent movement it is there to prevent the blade from moving from the vibration of the saw. A little snugging is all it needs.

Others can disagree if they want but that is my view of it.
Catpower likes this.

Last edited by subroc; 06-06-2017 at 03:44 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-06-2017, 05:02 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
My Unisaw has the wheel locks and I have never tightened them. It would take a ton of vibration to move the blade. It is basically a worm and pinion so the force of gravity almost makes it automatic locking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode