JET Tools Quality Issues - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Techsniffer
  • 1 Post By Techsniffer

post #1 of 15 Old 06-05-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

View Wil_Bloodworth's Photo Album My Photos
Angry JET Tools Quality Issues

I created a short video showing some of the issues "I" feel are substandard (in my opinion). Am I wrong for having such high standards or are the standard for heavy machinery just not that high? What are your impressions of the quality issues in this video?

Thank you!

Great Success REQUIRES Great Effort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-05-2017, 09:28 PM

View Techsniffer's Photo Album My Photos
If I had paid $2500+ for a table saw I sure as hell would have higher expectations than any of the things you pointed out in that video.

If it were me, I'd be on the phone and Jet would be coming to get their table saw back and refund my money. I can understand a mistake here or there, but it would appear overwhelmingly that quality isn't even top 10 on their list.
Wil_Bloodworth likes this.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Following User Says Thank You to Techsniffer For This Useful Post:
Wil_Bloodworth (06-05-2017)
post #3 of 15 Old 06-05-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
If I had paid $2500+ for a table saw I sure as hell would have higher expectations than any of the things you pointed out in that video.

If it were me, I'd be on the phone and Jet would be coming to get their table saw back and refund my money. I can understand a mistake here or there, but it would appear overwhelmingly that quality isn't even top 10 on their list.
Thank you. This being my first piece of "major" equipment, I wasn't sure if it was just me. I appreciate the confirmation of my assumptions. JET will be receiving a phone call from me tomorrow.

Oh, and the JET dust collector also arrived today... damaged and used. The dust filter was FULL of sawdust. Clearly, THAT is not acceptable!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-05-2017, 09:34 PM

That disappoints me more than you know, I had been eyeing a Jet band saw and a lathe for down the road, your recent Jet purchases have me really doubting if I want to give my money to this company.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #5 of 15 Old 06-05-2017, 09:35 PM

From everything I've read and heard of about Powermatic and SawStop, you would never have these issues with their products, and even if you had ONE of them.. it would likely be a one-off that they would rectify immediately.

Between your table saw, mobile base, and the DC... thats three strikes in my book and there would not be any going back.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #6 of 15 Old 06-05-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
From everything I've read and heard of about Powermatic and SawStop, you would never have these issues with their products, and even if you had ONE of them.. it would likely be a one-off that they would rectify immediately.

Between your table saw, mobile base, and the DC... thats three strikes in my book and there would not be any going back.
I am kind of with you on that as well. I would rather eat $500 in shipping costs that to populate my shop with mediocrity. Here is what I just email JET customer service:

Dear JET Customer Service,

I am brand new to woodworking and after exhaustive research, I decided to purchase all JET-branded (and Powermatic) machines due to the excellent reputation and 5-year warranty. My first purchase was the JET DELUXE XACTA 3HP 30” (708674PK) machine. It was delivered and while the packaging was a bit damaged, all of the machinery seemed to be fine. Today, I started putting the saw together and noticed what I feel are considerable quality control or manufacturing issues as well as some missing screws which are preventing me from finishing the assembly.

The only way I have to share these issues with you is via video from my phone which I posted to YouTube. Please see the video here: <link>. Please note that I did not post this to YouTube to throw JET under the table in any way. I simply needed a way to share the video with others to get their opinion as well as to show you my issues.

I also ordered a JET DC-1100VX-CK dust collector and it arrived today. It was slightly damaged but I wasn’t too concerned with that as it was a minor issue and I could have easily fixed the problem. The bigger issue is that it was used. The filter was full of sawdust. The machinery arrived in two boxes and while I believe the other box which contained everything other than the filter appeared to be intact and brand new, Amazon would only do a complete swap of the entire system. This has nothing, or very little, to do with why I am emailing you but I wanted you to be aware of the issue nonetheless.

I firmly believe JET should not be held liable for shipping issues as that is completely outside of your control. However, I am having serious doubts with my decision to have a shop that is almost entirely composed of JET (and Powermatic) machinery based on my impressions so far. I have shared my quality concerns with a few woodworkers online and they suggested I contact you directly which is the reason for this email.

Please watch the video and let me know if I am wrong for expecting higher quality machinery. I am hoping that these issues are simply ones that slipped through the cracks and that JET tools truly are all about quality and performance.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this email and (hopefully) sending a prompt response. If you prefer, feel free to call me directly. My mobile number is listed below. However, due to the insane number of telemarketing calls I receive, I do not answer phone calls from unknown numbers. Therefore, please leave a message and I will return your call.

Thank you,

William Bloodworth
- Wil

post #7 of 15 Old 06-05-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil_Bloodworth View Post
I am kind of with you on that as well. I would rather eat $500 in shipping costs that to populate my shop with mediocrity. Here is what I just email JET customer service:

Dear JET Customer Service etc..
- Wil
That's far more polite than I would have been after what I'm sure is close to $4000.

If I'm spending that kind of money (and this is a sentiment shared by many here) for a top tier product, it's one that I have every intention of likely being my 'last' purchase for that type of item, and those serious defects and clear lack of caring about the product they are producing are something I don't tolerate. I wouldnt have wasted my time with niceties and would have asked for information on how to return the items and get my money back. I am very brand loyal to products and companies that show me they care about the products they sell and produce products that are high quality.

I'm the type that when I buy something, I tend to make a very informed choice and always try and buy the best so I don't have to buy it again later.
Wil_Bloodworth likes this.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #8 of 15 Old 06-05-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Oh, I certainly agree with you @Techsniffer. I have just found a lot of success with more initial "sugar" than "vinegar" in my older age and I figured I would just see what JET would do if I didn't immediately put them on the defensive right out of the gate. I ordered the TS through Amazon so I can return it at any time without a problem... well, other than having the huge hassle of packing it all back up again and having it shipped out.

post #9 of 15 Old 06-05-2017, 10:51 PM

View Tree Hugger's Photo Album My Photos
The table and wings are sand castings so what you are seeing on the corners are what it looks like in the rough before machining/grinding ( a chunk of sand fell into the cavity of where the mold was hence the appearance of a gouge in the corner).
A minute with a snag grinder would clean it up the corners adequately and they should have done it for the price of this equipment.
I don't think the handle is a concern as the forces to allow it to move should be far less than what you are doing trying to move it by hand( while locked).
Yeah sloppy paint job .
What really bugs the heck out of me is the table working surface with the sand pock marks
This tells me they are doing a bare minimum of grinding on the Blanchard grinder and surface grinder to clean it up (casting should be a made a bit thicker to allow for an adequate amount of grinding....cutting corners to save time again.

here's a table being reground at a machine shop.

Knot Stumped ...just confused once in a while.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-09-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Just an update... while I can certainly give a bit of credit to JPW/JET for a bit of effort on dealing with the quality issues, I believe their manufacturer in Taiwan just isn't upholding their end of the deal. Also, there seems to be a bit of an attitude that they just don't care as much as I do about quality. The new wings and hardware (screws and such) were delivered yesterday and I was able to finish assembling the table saw; but not without getting creative.

First, the new wings... they aren't really in any better shape than the original set. They still have jagged corners as they are completely ground down with an angle grinder free-hand... which is virtually impossible to do correctly. Secondly, they are painted "JET white" on the bottom (the first set was painted black on the bottom). And I'm not sure how they managed to do it, but the JET "white" on these wings is a slightly different white than is on the table saw. Maybe they changed supplier or something but it is glaringly obvious when you're standing in front of the saw that there are two different colors of paint on it. Whatever... it's not a huge deal as they're mostly covered up with the rails anyway. And that brings up yet another point... if you're going to have wings that attach to rails and the rails extend beyond the wings, then why the heck are you rounding off the corners? So, lack of matching chamfer, unnecessarily (awful) rounding, poor painting, the list adds up quickly. See image 6998 below.

Next quality issue... the wooden extension. I followed the instructions to the letter and leveled the wing, aligned it to the extension wing, clamped it in place, yadda yadda. Then, I drilled pilot holes and then the final 1/4" holes that will accept the bolts. When I went to put the bolts in, they were extremely tight. Well, that's because there is no clearance. See the next two images (6988 and 6992). There is absolutely no way to put a washer or nut onto these bolts. So, I had to get a little creative and use a forstner bit to provide a bit of clearance for the washers and nuts.

So while I can give a slight bit of credit on the customer service side (even though they have never responded to any of the three emails I've sent them), I cannot excuse a major lack of quality control, attention to detail, and lack of commitment to quality in general. Therefore, my goal of owning a predominance of machines from JET will now be abandoned. I might go so far as to say I will sell this saw at some point and go with a SawStop. I'm more disappointed in the JET name and people than anything else.

On the positive side, the XACTA fine is really nice. I'm really glad that I had 1-2-3 blocks and feeler gauges to get everything level and parallel though. Without them, I don't think I would have been able to set it up correctly.

- Wil
Attached Images

post #11 of 15 Old 06-09-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

One additional note... everything JET is made in Taiwan and everything appears to be made by a company/supplier named "Union One". They also make their own machines and I'm sure they're the manufacturing problem.
Attached Images

post #12 of 15 Old 06-09-2017, 02:23 PM

View romanbear's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Wil
Jet isn't what it use to be obviously. Hope you can get your money back.
Romanbear
post #13 of 15 Old 06-09-2017, 02:32 PM

After all I've seen and heard, I wont be buying any Jet machines. If I were you I would sell it immediately or get a refund and eat the shipping. I feel you have gotten a product that it worth about $1000 less than what you could have gotten elsewhere, quality matters and the only way you can show them is with your money.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #14 of 15 Old 06-09-2017, 03:36 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
The missing bolts are unfortunate, but it happens. It'd be better if the edges of the wings were chamfered to match the main table and they should be.

The paint flaws you pointed out should be irrelevant....they'll be largely hidden by the fence, and shouldn't effect the performance in any way shape or form. The rough corners are not something I'd be concerned with either, as they should also mainly be covered by the extension and fence rails. The hand wheel lock is a non-issue IMO....it's intended to hold the blade in place during use, and isn't intended to prevent heavy force from moving the wheel. Keep in mind that this is a tool, not a dining table or a show car. If all else is functioning as it should, put it to work.

I've never considered Jet to be a premium brand. It's a good brand, but is not even the parent companies top line. It's always been an import brand, more along the lines of Grizzly, Shop Fox, former Steel City, General International, some Laguna, Baileigh, etc. It's not Powermatic or Saw Stop, it's not the former Canadian made General or Delta of old. Much of the premium price tag goes to dealer markup and long warranty.

Last edited by notskot; 06-09-2017 at 03:39 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-09-2017, 04:54 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's one reason I buy antique machinery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode