Jet motor frame number - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 05-16-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

View Elden Cozort's Photo Album My Photos
Question Jet motor frame number

I am so sad, just when I thought I had it all fixed up. The motor burned up.

Jet JTAS 10-1 Model M-708510 (motor part number JTAS10-131

Does anyone know the NEMA frame number for the motor on this saw?

The OEM motor from Jet is too expensive so I have been searching the internet for a less expensive motor that will fit but I can not determine the frame number and Jet support is no help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190515_165052.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	375339  

Name:	IMG_20190516_092732.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	439.6 KB
ID:	375341  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-16-2019, 06:40 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
take it here:
www.electricmotorworksinc.com

they will be able to ID it and also determine if that bracket is something custom ....
post #3 of 23 Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I searched for a replacement motor and got this. Looks like 145Y https://www.grainger.com/product/1XE...g!470549069414!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 05-17-2019, 01:29 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
That motor looks very clean for something that has "burned up".
Are you sure it isnt just the capacitor that needs replacing?
post #5 of 23 Old 05-17-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Tom,

It was Electric Motor Works that diagnosed the issue. We talked at length about what might have happened, etc. They had looked for a replacement and even had an estimate of rewiring done. I don't remember asking them what the frame number was so maybe I'll make a trip back there. The frame number is supposed to be printed on the tag on the motor but maybe in 1995 that wasn't required.

Steve,

Thank you for your effort, unfortunately the 145Y specs are for a 3/4 inch shaft (mine is 7/8) and the output shaft is too short. It sure looks like it should fit though? I also looked at the Grizzly H5387 and it is close also.

Sunny-- Oh how I wish it was just that. The wiring is gone (see pic).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jet motor wiring.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	486.2 KB
ID:	375353  

post #6 of 23 Old 05-17-2019, 11:31 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
erm, yes, I think maybe it isnt the capacitor (lol).

I've never seen motor damage like that. That has to something rubbed those connections away,
post #7 of 23 Old 05-17-2019, 05:54 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
well, the absence of frame ID is one indication of a "custom part."

I'm surprised the shop could not come up with a sub. the bracket does not look all that complicated, could be just a flat foot motor with the bracket bolted on?
you could make up a round strap&plate to bolt to a "stock" motor - but if you have to pay a shop for the design/built you're probably in the $$ of the OEM part.

the damage is obvious physical - like the fan got pushed into the winding, or something got jammed in there....
post #8 of 23 Old 05-17-2019, 07:32 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Looks to me like it's a ......

looks like it has an additional bracket mounted to a NEMA 56 type motor mount. Without additional photos,I can't tell any more, but the bolt heads give it away, that it's an add on hinge bracket......

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 23 Old 05-18-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for my lack of information in my original post. I was originally hoped someone might have encountered the same issue and had a quick solution.

Here are some pictures of the motor without the mounting bracket and the bracket itself.

I also attempted to measure the key elements of the motor (ie like a NEMA schematic). Of course my measurements are not exact. (not sure the pdf would upload properly so there is a jpg also)

Of note, in the angle view the last 1/2 inch of the shaft increases from 7/8 to 1 inch.

The base of the mounting bracket is 4 inches by 6 inches.

As to the cause of the failure. When we disassembled the motor the starter mechanism was fried, there was nothing obvious that would have cut the wiring. Best suggestion was that the wiring overheated and "popped".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mounting plate view.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	375427  

Name:	side view (2).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	375429  

Name:	end view.jpg
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	375431  

Name:	Angle view.jpg
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	375435  

Name:	dimensions of jet motor.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	375437  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf jet motor dimensions.pdf (124.8 KB, 15 views)
post #10 of 23 Old 05-18-2019, 12:00 PM
where's my table saw?

So, frame 56 ....or not?

Looks like it to me. I have loads of motors with that frame, and it is an industry standard for fractional HP motors, so it would be unlikely that your motor is different.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 23 Old 05-19-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

I may be wrong (probably am) so feel free to correct me. In my reading of the NEMA specs for a 56 frame, the shaft size is 5/8 and the shaft extends 1 7/8 inches. My burned up motor has a 7/8 shaft and extends 2 1/4 inches?

I have learned more about NEMA frames in the last couple of days than I thought I'd ever need to know, but I am still hesitant. Most places have a 15% restocking fee and you pay the return shipping on an incorrect purchase.

It seems to me that a 140T or 145T frame has the same footprint as a 56 but is for "bigger" motors. Is this correct?

Bye the Bye--Woodnthings, I loved looking at your photos.
woodnthings likes this.
post #12 of 23 Old 05-19-2019, 11:31 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I failed to see the mounting bracket was removable. I would think most any motor that would turn the right direction and has the speed and HP could be fitted to the mounting bracket. It might require drilling a few holes but that shouldn't be difficult.
post #13 of 23 Old 05-19-2019, 11:56 AM
where's my table saw?

If I recall.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden Cozort View Post
I may be wrong (probably am) so feel free to correct me. In my reading of the NEMA specs for a 56 frame, the shaft size is 5/8 and the shaft extends 1 7/8 inches. My burned up motor has a 7/8 shaft and extends 2 1/4 inches?

I have learned more about NEMA frames in the last couple of days than I thought I'd ever need to know, but I am still hesitant. Most places have a 15% restocking fee and you pay the return shipping on an incorrect purchase.

It seems to me that a 140T or 145T frame has the same footprint as a 56 but is for "bigger" motors. Is this correct?

Bye the Bye--Woodnthings, I loved looking at your photos.

Nema type 56 frames can be found on motors up to 5 HP, shaft size is irrelevant. It just specifies bolt spacing and basic dimensions.
So, there you go........
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5HP-SPL1Pha...kAAOSw5pRcP9uI

post #14 of 23 Old 05-19-2019, 01:00 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I would appear from this chart that you are looking for 56HZ, if the 56 mounting style is what you require.

7/8" shaft 2 1/4" long

https://www.engineersedge.com/nema_frames.htm

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #15 of 23 Old 05-20-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Well, it seems as if our discussion is now moot! As I have been discussing this with you I have been sharing your thoughts and ideas (along with my internet research) with my wife.

This morning, she told me that I had spent two weeks trying to save some money and not getting any work done on projects, so she ordered a motor.

She knows me so well. :)

She would not tell me what she ordered but my guess is that she bought the OEM motor. It is supposed to arrive by Friday.
post #16 of 23 Old 05-20-2019, 12:51 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
You are a very fortunate man to have such an understanding wife, kind of what it is all about.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #17 of 23 Old 05-21-2019, 09:51 AM

View Mycrossover's Photo Album My Photos
I am looking on my phone so I may not see the details well enough but in your motor damage photo I only see broken lacing cord. Windings are laced with cord and varnished. In time the cords often fall apart but the varnish and motor body hold things in place. I have a motor in that condition that has worked for years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
TimPa likes this.
post #18 of 23 Old 05-24-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

The motor my wife ordered arrived late yesterday. I tried to take a picture of it but it was too dark to get a good shot.

She really surprised me with that motor. I have always tried to make certain she know how much I love her and I know how much she loves me.

I guess I should tell you that the motor came attached to a new Grizzly G1023RL.
post #19 of 23 Old 05-24-2019, 02:12 PM
where's my table saw?

I think you married "up" ......

Now you owe us a story as to how she pulled that off without your knowledge. You had to be home to receive a shipment that heavy. Now what happens to the old jet saw and motor? Are you gonna fix it anyway with a new or even used motor? That wouldn't be all that difficult knowing that most any 1.5 Hp motor with a 56 style frame will work. Having two saws is a great idea...... DAMHIKT. I have 3 all bolted together which allows me to keep a dado set on one and a 50 tooth combination in another. The 3rd one has a 24 tooth rip blade for 2" and thicker stock. I know not everyone has the space, but I really hate changing out saw blades. If you look on the net there are quite a few shops that have more than one table saw.

post #20 of 23 Old 05-25-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

So, late Thursday afternoon an 18 wheeler delivery truck pulled up and my wife said "Your motor is here." I was at first shocked that a motor would need an 18 wheeler but the general weight limit for home deliveries is about 70 pounds and a 3 HP motor is heavy, so I didn't think anything else.

The driver opened the door and I saw the Grizzly box and was floored!!!!!!!

Oh, woodnthings, I have admired your table saw set up for a long time and I wish I had the room. My shop is a single car garage and I swear I spend more time moving tools into position than I do actually using them.
woodnthings likes this.

Tags
frame, jet, motor, nema

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode