JET JWTS-10CW2 Blade Raising/Lowering is Difficult - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-26-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

View T-Man's Photo Album My Photos
JET JWTS-10CW2 Blade Raising/Lowering is Difficult

10 year old unit. Purchased used from a careful woodworker. Been in my shop for 5 yrs. Blade raising/lowering hand wheel is getting harder to turn. Time to do something. Worm gear for raising/lowering is clean of sawdust and gunk. Tilt adjustment works fine. I'll have to remover the outfeed table, lay the saw down on it's back (end where motor is attached) to get a better look and investigate. Entire trunnion unit looks very simple. Any suggestions? Newbie to your forum. Thanks in advance. T-Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-26-2011, 08:53 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I hate it when this happens

You are on the right track though. If the screws and nuts are free from pitch, cutting a lot of softwood will cause that, then the other issue would be the trunnions have some gunk collected. Blow them out, spray liberally with a solvent/cleaner, blow them dry then use a dry lube. It's been gradual so I don't suspect a mechanical malfunction, rather a build up of crud. I had the same thing happen to the tilt adjustment on a Craftsman 12" saw, but it was the screws that were gummed up. You should really run a dust collector full time if possible from under the saw base. Seal off as many of the big gaps as possible, the air will come in under the table and other places. Do not seal off the motor cooling hole...unless you always run the DC, it will overheat. I need to follow my own advice ..... bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-26-2011 at 08:56 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
You may want to make sure your blade lock is fully releasing also.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Make sure that the motor is not rubbing on the out feed table.

DAMHIKT

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-29-2011, 07:24 PM
No Longer Here

View johnray's Photo Album My Photos
saw

I hope its nothing serious. warning to you guys, these imports don't hold up. I have never had any problems with my 35 year old unisaw, after hard use and no maintance.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

View T-Man's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you gentlemen

You were totally correct. Couldn't see the gunk just popping my head under the saw. Could see the teeth were heavily fouled when I got the saw on it's back. Shop vac blower, brass brush, a light coating of graphite as Bill suggested and it's good as new. Spent too much time and effort worrying about what the problem was. Preventative maintenance from here on. thanks again. T-Man
The Following User Says Thank You to T-Man For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (01-04-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode