issue with Dewalt table saw table top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By merinadica
  • 1 Post By merinadica

post #1 of 8 Old 06-03-2020, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

View merinadica's Photo Album My Photos
issue with Dewalt table saw table top

I have recently purchased a DW745 Table saw and found out that the table top is not flat. here are some pictures.
I would like to know if it is really an issue or am I being too sensitive?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-03-2020, 10:54 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! Add your first name to your signature line so we'll know what to call you and it will show in each post. Add your location, as well.

It wouldn't be acceptable to me but I typically work to very close tolerances. What will you primarily be making? This appears to be stamped steel (I may be wrong) but my guess is the tolerance on that isn't quite as tight as that for a cast iron top. This may be within the manufacturer specs but I'm not sure they list that.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 8 Old 06-03-2020, 10:55 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
New or used?

If new, take it back. If used, deal with it, since you can't change it...... easily.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-03-2020, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your inputs and warm welcome!
I am mainly using this to make furniture and sometimes projects here and there. I am also leaning towards sending it back since it is new and it came like that.
I have added my location and a signature.
difalkner likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-03-2020, 07:42 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
My SawStop table saw actually has specs for flatness. The spec says flat to 10/1000 inch for the main table, and 20/1000 inch for the wings. I learned it when I called SawStop to ask about flatness. The saw I bought was a refurbished one.

During assembly, I used a straightedge to align the wings to the table as flat as possible, and noticed a little rocking of the straightedge on the main table. It seemed excessive until I measured it with feeler gauges. I learned that 10/1000 inch is more of a gap than I thought it would be, and the saw was within spec. I did not ask for a replacement. The saw has worked out very well for me, no problems at all.

I wonder whether DeWalt has specs for their table saw flatness?

Remove the blade insert and retest. Measure the gaps with feeler gauges, so you can tell them how non-flat your table is. After that, get it replaced under warranty. You paid for a quality table saw and I am sure you plan to keep it and use it for a long time. The time you spend now to get it right is very small compared with the years of happy use to come.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 06-03-2020 at 07:50 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-08-2020, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

I called Dewalt and apparently there are three types of DW745 Table saw. according to them changing the table top fro my table would cost more than 400$ which is more than the table saw itself and not worth it.
so I have decided to send it back and asked for a replacement which will arrive in a week or so.

considering my luck, I am afraid that the replacement might have some issues as well.
I will keep you updated about how it went down but, if the replacement was also damaged, would you consider switching to a newer model (DW7485)?
the new model has higher rip capacity (24 rip capacity) but has smaller diameter blade (8 1/4). and on sale because of the father's day coming up.
I am afraid since my table saw is discontinued whatever that is left in stock is damaged.
John Smith_inFL likes this.

Alan
post #7 of 8 Old 06-08-2020, 05:07 PM
mike44

View kwoodhands's Photo Album My Photos
Generally the flatness is not critical. In your case being the saw is new I would send it back.
I operated an old 7-1/2 HP saw that was usually used only to rip. The table was out a lot on one corner. It dipped 3/32 from the front to back. Actually made no difference using it to rip. I was told that the top may have been in spec when it was machined. Cast iron should be aged one year before final machining I was told. Especially large tops like our saw had.
mike
post #8 of 8 Old 06-08-2020, 05:53 PM

View Rick Christopherson's Photo Album My Photos
There's really no reason to be concerned about this. If it was a shaper, that would be a different story, but a tablesaw doesn't need to be as precise. Cast iron will warp. It's just the nature of the material.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode