I'd like to use a drill as a drill press - Advice? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

View gideon's Photo Album My Photos
I'd like to use a drill as a drill press - Advice?

I've seen some fairly light weight jigs out there which might work but I'd like to get some feed back.

I don't have space for a full drill press right now but I'd like something a bit more portable anyway.

I want to be able to clamp a corded dewalt drill into a jig which has down/up at 90 and I'd like to be able to swivel it for splayed legs.

Any ideas on a decent product out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gideon View Post
I've seen some fairly light weight jigs out there which might work but I'd like to get some feed back.

I don't have space for a full drill press right now but I'd like something a bit more portable anyway.

I want to be able to clamp a corded dewalt drill into a jig which has down/up at 90 and I'd like to be able to swivel it for splayed legs.

Any ideas on a decent product out there?
You can google it and find some decent ideas. I was going to go that route but I picked up a used Skil for 40 bucks and though it does take up a footprint, I am glad I made room for it. For awhile i stored it under a desk till needed. BUt now I use it almost on every project. A dedicated drill press gives you the option in speed changes that many drills do not have. That I have found out comes in handy.

I know that did not answer your question, just giving you a perspective from another amateur woodworker.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
Although I have a full size drill press in the shop I use a guide like the one below on the jobsite to drill straight holes and it works pretty well IMO.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...FWXZQgodPCAAMg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 02:15 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
While I agree with Marv about the drill guide, I'm not real crazy about Rockler prices.

http://www.amazon.com/Wolfcraft-4525404-Attachment-4-Inch-8-Inch/dp/B000JCIMEA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1367604713&sr=1-1&keywords=drill+guide

Keep in mind that these won't substitute for a drill press, most of those I have tried have far to much slop in the guides. They will get a fairly perpendicular hole and do it in places a drill press can't go.

Seems like some time ago Sears (and some others) marketed a device that bolted/clamped to a bench and a corded drill clamped into it. I never had one and have no idea what they were called but seemed like they would be somewhat more accurate than the drill guide, although still less desireable than a purpose built drill press.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood

Last edited by jschaben; 05-03-2013 at 02:18 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
The drill guides may be handy in the field, but I would not want to use one in a shop.

I have a Craftsman Bench Radial Drill Press which is not being used since I got a floor standing drill press. I can give you a good deal on this. PM me if you are interested.

Looks like this Grizzly equivalent providing link for illustration. It seems Craftsman stopped selling this under their name, now has Rikon name.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Sp...ll-Press/G7945
post #6 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 02:35 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
I had one. Don't remember the brand. Seemed like hours to get my Skil drill aligned. Worked OK if I had one hand to hold the work, one hand to make the plunge action and another hand to turn the drill on/off (you doing the math here?) If I ever wanted to use my drill again for any other purpose, I had to repeat the entire alignment process.
So, I gave it to a photog who wanted a simple camera copy stand. We're both happy.
Delta had cute little 8" bench-top drill presses on for $100 (reg $150). Fantastically useful. I still dream of the day that I have the $$$ and space for a floor stand DP. In the meantime, I'm 98% satisfied.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
This might be what you are referring to. I have two, and they work great.
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/el...portable-drill

post #8 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 06:34 PM

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
While I agree with Marv about the drill guide, I'm not real crazy about Rockler prices.

Wolfcraft 4525404 Drill Guide Attachment for 1/4-Inch or 3/8-Inch Drills - Amazon.com

Keep in mind that these won't substitute for a drill press, most of those I have tried have far to much slop in the guides. They will get a fairly perpendicular hole and do it in places a drill press can't go.

Seems like some time ago Sears (and some others) marketed a device that bolted/clamped to a bench and a corded drill clamped into it. I never had one and have no idea what they were called but seemed like they would be somewhat more accurate than the drill guide, although still less desireable than a purpose built drill press.

That's a crazy difference in price for sure and it appears to be "generic" as I see the exact same design sold under quite a few different names! Mine is probably 25+ years old and has bronze bushings on the rods as well as bearings on the chuck adapter so it is actually pretty accurate.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
The drill guides may be handy in the field, but I would not want to use one in a shop.

I have a Craftsman Bench Radial Drill Press which is not being used since I got a floor standing drill press. I can give you a good deal on this. PM me if you are interested.

Looks like this Grizzly equivalent providing link for illustration. It seems Craftsman stopped selling this under their name, now has Rikon name.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Sp...ll-Press/G7945

Thanks for the offer but I don't even space for that.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
These little guys go in the $40 and $50 range pretty frequently. They don't take up much space, they have a table, usually a bigger chuck, and they don't cost much more than a drill guide.

Last edited by knotscott; 05-04-2013 at 08:44 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to knotscott For This Useful Post:
gideon (05-07-2013)
post #11 of 16 Old 05-06-2013, 04:36 PM

View lilman's Photo Album My Photos
May not be very portable, but I recently picked up a small Harbor Freight drill press. I just tuck it undersomething when I dont need it. Bought it thinking I would rarely use it, which is why I went for a 40$ HF model, but ended up using the crap out of the thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to lilman For This Useful Post:
gideon (05-07-2013)
post #12 of 16 Old 05-06-2013, 07:01 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
knotscott's drill press looks almost identical to the Delta looks almost identical to the Mastercraft.

I got the 8" Delta home and assembled maybe 10 years ago. My best guess is that in the first month of ownership, I drilled more than 3,000 screw holes in a wide variety of simple projects. Last night, I was spinning a masonry cutoff wheel to shape some slate stone as inlay for a wood carving.
You won't regret it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian T. For This Useful Post:
gideon (05-07-2013)
post #13 of 16 Old 05-07-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

seriously, if you saw my work space, there's no where to tuck it. i see those units going for $15 to $50 all the time.

I'm looking for something I can literally place on a work surface and guide my drill at a true 90 degrees and be able to pivot it as well.

i really do want a drill press, small or floor standing, but thats not an option for me right now.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM

View whatalesyou1's Photo Album My Photos
Too funny! Just saw this on CL:

http://madison.craigslist.org/tls/3779571045.html
post #15 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

I saw one of these at an auction a few months ago. Just as I saw it, it was sold for $5. It doesn't pivot tho.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gideon View Post
I saw one of these at an auction a few months ago. Just as I saw it, it was sold for $5. It doesn't pivot tho.
I posted that tool in post #7 without a comment from you. If you mean it doesn't pivot, as in tilt, you're right. But it does fit your parameters of using a hand held drill.

Your words...I want to be able to clamp a corded dewalt drill into a jig which has down/up at 90 and I'd like to be able to swivel it for splayed legs. It does swivel (swings left and right) on its base.

I have two of those, and are invaluable. One is for jobsite work, the other is for drilling glass.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
gideon (05-10-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode