I need a table saw but what one do I need? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 02-28-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

View COWHEAD's Photo Album My Photos
I need a table saw but what one do I need?

I am looking at getting a new table saw in the next week or two.. I do alot of basic carpentry and whatnot around the house but want to get into building more things like shelf's and small cabinets and boxes etc. I also tear down allot of pallets and plane the wood out and use it for different projects. I want something I can put a jig on to help me get a straight edge on pallet wood is the main thing.

I guess the two that catch my Eye are the Ridgid R4512 or the Dewalt DWE7480. I know these are two different animals but here is my thoughts. the Dewalt is easy to store and hide away and the Ridgid is going to take up more floor space. I am sure the Ridgid has more power and is more accurate but if I were to go with the Dewalt I would make it so I can place it on the end of my work bench so I would have a 3ft wide by 6ft long table and than still be able to take it out and use it other places like family etc.. So any Input would be great Sorry for rambling..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-28-2015, 05:17 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Accuracy in a table saw is much more in the hands of the user than in how the saw was made. Unless that saw has parts that are just loose and do not maintain their settings. In good hands a $300 portable saw can be just as accurate as a $2000 saw,

I have a friend that uses a portable saw and is living proof of this.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
Chamfer (03-01-2015)
post #3 of 20 Old 02-28-2015, 05:25 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
The rigid saw would definetly be the best .It would allow you to rip sheets of plywood.The Dewalt ad says it has a rip capacity of 24 1/2" which looks to me to be the width of the whole table.It does not say what you have to the right of the blade but would be around half that.
Just one difference of many.It does not say in the specs but I imagine the Rigid is a belt drive where the DeWalt is direct drive.The Rigid is 13 amps and has some weight to it so it won't be moving around while your trying to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-28-2015, 05:28 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
What is your budget? Does the saw have to be portable?
post #5 of 20 Old 02-28-2015, 06:02 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
A full size stationary saw with a belt drive induction motor has the vast majority of advantages over a portable. If you don't "need" the portability aspect, I'd go with a full size saw....no contest. Accuracy aside, the extra landing space in front of the blade is much more generous on a stationary saw than a portable, making it safer and easier to get good results with. The induction motor is much quieter and has more torque. The extra mass makes it much less likely to move during a cut. It's a lot easier to make upgrades to a standard full size saw too...you can add solid cast wings, better fence, aftermarket miter gauge, etc. A full size cast iron and steel saw is more robust than a portable, and more feasible to fix in the event of a failure. They also tend to be nicer to use....you're far more likely to outgrow a portable. Is the difference in floor space they take up really worth the other benefits you give up?

The Delta 36-725 is another viable alternative to the R4512.

Last edited by notskot; 02-28-2015 at 06:04 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-28-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

I would say at this time my max budget is about $600 - $700
post #7 of 20 Old 02-28-2015, 07:29 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
yep, ridgid or delta will be "Better" saws. not to say the dewalt wont be fine too. The ridgid and delta weigh some 200lbs, its nice when your saw weighs more than the sheet your cutting, so it doesnt wobble or tip.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-28-2015, 08:16 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
This is probably not the best place to get a good answer. We all do different tasks with our saws. You have to decide what you want to do with it and then read some good reviews. Then pic your saw based on size, price and the space you have.

Al

The Following User Says Thank You to Al B Thayer For This Useful Post:
Chamfer (03-01-2015)
post #9 of 20 Old 02-28-2015, 08:28 PM

Have you looked for a used saw? Have you looked at a grizzly hybrid saw it isn't far out of your budget?
post #10 of 20 Old 02-28-2015, 08:40 PM

View Oakwerks's Photo Album My Photos
Buy the best saw you can afford.... You won't be sorry, once you start expanding your interests and capabilities....
I bought the best Craftsman back in the '80s... I had very little experience then, but grew into it.... It's still
the center of my shop....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......
post #11 of 20 Old 02-28-2015, 11:06 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
For accuracy I think one of the most important things to have is a good fence. At one time I had an old Craftsman contractor saw and the fence was awful. I bought an after market fence and it made it a great saw.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to hawkeye10 For This Useful Post:
Al B Thayer (03-02-2015)
post #12 of 20 Old 02-28-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

I have looked for a few online on craigslist etc but its been tough people around here want new money for old junk.. So what makes a good fence? I have been using a Ryobi Portable and I know the fence is crap on that because its always off just a hare from what it says and when you clamp it down it moves 1/16th of an inch so I have just learned to compensate my measurements for it. I just dont want to be stuck with junk..
post #13 of 20 Old 02-28-2015, 11:34 PM

You want a fence that is easy to adjust, doesn't move when you lock it, and has minimal deflection at the back when locked.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
This is probably not the best place to get a good answer. We all do different tasks with our saws. You have to decide what you want to do with it and then read some good reviews. Then pic your saw based on size, price and the space you have.

Al
Very good comment.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
Al B Thayer (03-02-2015)
post #15 of 20 Old 03-01-2015, 08:25 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWHEAD View Post
I have looked for a few online on craigslist etc but its been tough people around here want new money for old junk.. So what makes a good fence? I have been using a Ryobi Portable and I know the fence is crap on that because its always off just a hare from what it says and when you clamp it down it moves 1/16th of an inch so I have just learned to compensate my measurements for it. I just dont want to be stuck with junk..
For the most part you can't call a used saw old junk. A table saw if reasonably taken care of will last a person a lifetime. It might get dirty and the paint scraped but will preform just like it did when it was new. This is why old saws retain a pretty good resale value. Often too a person has upgraded a fence system for an old saw actually making the saw better than new.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-01-2015, 08:52 AM

View rcp612's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post

Al
I must agree with Al.

Do like you always do,,,, get what you always get!!
post #17 of 20 Old 03-01-2015, 09:59 AM

View Quo Fan's Photo Album My Photos
If I had the space, I would get a saw that can take a full 3/4" dado blade. A cast iron top would also be high on the "must have" list.

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-03-2015, 07:33 PM

View tom d's Photo Album My Photos
If you want portability for carpentry get a portable. Accuracy not that big of a deal. If you want to do woodworking look for a good used 10" saw with a cast iron top like a powermatic 66, a Unisaw, older Delta or a Jet. Don't overlook Grizzly.
You should read some reviews on any model you consider before jumping. Avoid rust if more than minimal on the table. make them prove it runs. Don't scrimp on your blade for woodworking. Read the info in post at the top for choosing a table saw.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-03-2015, 09:22 PM

View videator's Photo Album My Photos
Check out woodwerks, they have a granite hybrid saw on sale for 650 or so.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-03-2015, 09:23 PM

View videator's Photo Album My Photos
Steel city is the manufacturer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode