I need some help with this RAS! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

View dominic16's Photo Album My Photos
I need some help with this RAS!

Hey guys,
My grandpa has an old Craftsman 10" radial arm saw and needs a new motor. Does anyone know where we can go to get a replacement. I have a model number and I think that it is build in the 70's. If anyone could help me WE would appreciate it greatly. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-20-2010, 08:17 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Not going to be worth it

You won't find a replacement motor, since they are no longer made.
You have 2 choices, buy another RAS off Craig's list as I have done 2X or take the motor to a electrical motor repair shop and get a quote... it may not be the motor, just a switch, plug/cord or starting capacitor, relatively cheap. Check out those first, then let us know. bill
After you get it going:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-20-2010 at 08:35 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Dominic,

If the motor is really zorched, used Craftsman RAS's are often available on Craigslist - just like Woodnthings said. I looked at Toledo's CL and there were several there, one as cheap as $75. I'd bet Craftsman RAS's are one of the most common woodworking tools on CL, along with Craftsman table saws.

Good luck,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 PM

View Toolman2's Photo Album My Photos
Not to be sarcastic, but how do you know it needs a new motor? I have a Craftsman RAS now, and a few years back someone gave me one because they said the motor was shot. I replaced the starting capacitor, checked the wiring, and cleaned the motor out and it ran very smooth.

This may not be the problem, but you might want to check it out.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-22-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

View dominic16's Photo Album My Photos
Hey there,
You know I do not for sure that it is the motor. I live in ohio and my grandpa lives in california. He thinks it is the motor and is looking for a replacement. Yes it might not be the motor and could be something else maybe an easy fix but he says he can not find a motor repair shop. I don't know...
post #6 of 6 Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 PM

View TMA Woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Dominic,

What are the symptoms? If you turn it on and it hums and you can spin the arbor enough to have it take off (with the blade off of course) it would be the starting capacitor. If you get nothing check power before and after the switch. If both of these are not the problem then it may be your motor. There is a place here in Lincoln NE called Colin Motors that have about any motor made or can rebuild yours. That would be the expensive route. If it is truly the motor,I would buy a Craigslist and replace the motor for yours. I would still bet on the capacitor. I have had my RAS for about 20 years and have gone thru 2. I keep a spare on hand now. Most electrical wholesale houses have or can get motor start capacitors and they should be $5-10. Hope this helps. Sounds like a great machine to save. Ones from family are always the best.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode