I need a machinist .... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 11-16-2006, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I need a machinist ....

Here is a machinery question. While changing the blades in my planer this a..m., I had the great idea to use a 12" allen straight wrench in my drill. Was working great and i was saving beau coup minutes. Then, it came loose from chuck, so I re-inserted it and tightened it down real tight. Stuck it in the nex screw and pulled the trigger. Forgot to click the reverse switch on the drill. Wasted the sides in the nut. This also tightened the nut to extreme.
No problem right? Got the extractor set out and pulled out an appropriate sized extractor and the 7/64" left handed drill bit it called for. Drilled the hole down to the bottom of the screw, broke off the drill bit in the hole right before I got there. Blew some compressed air into the hole and the bit flew right out.. Lucky. Finished drilling the hole with another bit and inserted the extractor, turned with steady pressure ...... turned a little more .... SNAP. Broke it right of in the screw. It ain't coming out. I need something that will brab the top of the screw now because I can't drill the extractor tool out and compressed air didn't touch it. Of course it buried itself into the metal of the screw before it snapped. It is too hard and brittle to drill at least with any of my HSS or carbide bits.
Help.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-16-2006, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Forgotten but not gone

After tinkering with it more I think I am going to have to remove the cutterhead and take it to a machine shop.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-16-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Forgotten but not gone

After I looked at how involved it was going to be to get that head out I said "Huh uh." So I decided to grind the screwhead off and do without it. Missing one of 8 wasn't going to hurt. So I grabbed the flex-shaft grinding tool, one of the few Craftsman power tools I own, and started grinding when I realized I should try to grind a flat spot on this large allen screwhead and tap it out with a punch.
I ground a nice one and took a 3/16" machinist flat punch and tapped that sucker right loose!
Now that sure felt good. Back in business.

This is the first time I have ever posted a problem, said forget it, then solved it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-16-2006, 04:33 PM

View Burlkraft's Photo Album My Photos
Nice job......You can be a machinist too...

I hate broken bolts and screws..

I got a guy in my machine shop that is a wizard at them. Everyone in the shop runs to him with stuff like that and in minutes he's got them taken care of. The guy is invaluable..

His favorite thing...broken exhaust manifold bolts..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode